Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Quote != edit. Man, haven't done that in a [i]long[i] time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

hooah posted:

It works as a local and cloud file browser, but I have not had any luck getting it to connect to my Windows 10 desktop via SMBv2. Judging by this issue I'm not the only one.

Oh, huh. I'm connecting to an SMB share on a Synology appliance that apparently allows SMBv1 connections, so I haven't run into this issue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Oh, huh. I'm connecting to an SMB share on a Synology appliance that apparently allows SMBv1 connections, so I haven't run into this issue.

Please do not use SMBv1!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please do not use SMBv1!

I'd never looked into the details of SMB, but yeah, sounds like there's no good reason to allow v1. Disabled it on my Synology server and on my Windows 10 workstation, and Solid Explorer is successfully connecting to both with SMBv2. Connecting to to share on the Windows 10 computer works with credentials and with a guest login. Whatever the bug is, it's more specific than SMBv2 being broken.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Toast Museum posted:

I'd never looked into the details of SMB, but yeah, sounds like there's no good reason to allow v1. Disabled it on my Synology server and on my Windows 10 workstation, and Solid Explorer is successfully connecting to both with SMBv2. Connecting to to share on the Windows 10 computer works with credentials and with a guest login. Whatever the bug is, it's more specific than SMBv2 being broken.

How'd you set this up on each end? I set a folder to be shared with "Everyone", then went through the LAN/SMB setup in Solid Explorer, choosing the guest option. When it got to the connection step, it gave an unhelpful "A problem occurred with network communication." message.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

hooah posted:

How'd you set this up on each end? I set a folder to be shared with "Everyone", then went through the LAN/SMB setup in Solid Explorer, choosing the guest option. When it got to the connection step, it gave an unhelpful "A problem occurred with network communication." message.

Do you have password-protected sharing turned on? If so, guests won't be able to access your shared folders, even if you give permission to Everyone or Guest. This isn't just a Solid Explorer thing; I got the same results when I tried to connect with macOS. As far as I can tell, your options are to disable password-protected sharing or to give Solid Explorer credentials to connect with. If you don't want to disable password protection and don't want Solid Explorer and whatever else having access to everything your Windows account has access to, you could create another account with more limited privileges for this purpose.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FunOne posted:

What is the current favorite file browser that hasn't added lockscreen ads and malware yet?

Samba shares (Windows 10) & video streaming is the objective.

I'm using Total Commander

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Video content on Chrome pauses my music/podcast players, even with mute on and autoplay off. I switched to Free Adblocker Browser, which seems to help, but I'm cautious about relying on an independent project. Anyone experience the same problem on Chrome? Any solutions? Is Firefox a better option?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Holy, that interface is fresh out of 2.3.5.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Well tbf it's based on this

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy, that interface is fresh out of 2.3.5.

It started out as a Windows 3.1 application in 1993 (as a clone of the even older Norton Commander) and is still actively being developed (or at least updated for each Windows release) .
Looking old probably is a feature this point.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 20, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's probably bad that this is the only thing I can think of when people bring up filesystem commanders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Toast Museum posted:

Do you have password-protected sharing turned on? If so, guests won't be able to access your shared folders, even if you give permission to Everyone or Guest. This isn't just a Solid Explorer thing; I got the same results when I tried to connect with macOS. As far as I can tell, your options are to disable password-protected sharing or to give Solid Explorer credentials to connect with. If you don't want to disable password protection and don't want Solid Explorer and whatever else having access to everything your Windows account has access to, you could create another account with more limited privileges for this purpose.

Hmm, I don't think I have password-protected sharing on, unless it's a global setting somewhere that I didn't see while looking at the settings for a particular folder. Where would I check that?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

hooah posted:

Hmm, I don't think I have password-protected sharing on, unless it's a global setting somewhere that I didn't see while looking at the settings for a particular folder. Where would I check that?

Yeah, it's a global setting under Network & Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings -> All Networks

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

tonberrytoby posted:

Does anybody know how to gain more control over the audio of two media apps.I generally have music running through gpm.
Sometimes when a webpage plays a sound in firefox, the music in gpm is paused or muted to make room for the sound. I want to turn that off, the only workaround I found is fully muting firefox.

I also want to turn that on for my workout timer app, or at least increase the volume. My workout timers (I use "Tabata Timer" and "Mi Fit") are a bit to silent for my taste, I would like to increase their volume relative to gpm or mute gpm while they play messages, like it happens for firefox. Are there some settings hidden somewhere? Or some apps I can install for that?
I haven an Android One phone, on stock version 8.1.

The general theoretical answer to your question is "no" but please keep reading. The audio APIs of the Android OS, meaning the ways in which different apps are allowed access to the audio output functions of an Android device (i.e. speaker or headphone output), are designed to be "cooperative". What this means is that each app is given the responsibility to implement its own audio output in ways that respect all the other apps that might do audio output during the same time in which the app itself is doing audio output. This isn't the worst idea in general, and also many combinations of apps+device+os work just fine, but in my personal opinion this is also a chief reason why some of these hair-pulling Android audio output issues exist

i will say that you aren't going to get an OS-level solution for your "i want this app to be louder relative to this other app" problem. i don't think this exists on many (or even any) android devices. if the app has an internal settings menu with audio level sliders this will help you. but if it doesn't, i don't know if you will find much help in this particular quest

as for the stop/start and audio overlay issues, this inevitably gets into the cooperative-multitasking API issue i talked about above. my personal solution when i have issues here is "get a different app". i know your pain here. i spent months fiddling with free exercise interval trainer apps, and all of them poo poo the bed completely, and repeatedly, when i tried to do the insane challenge of "using this app like a normal person". i set many different music and podcasts apps to "just play this thing" and then loaded an interval training app, wanting to listen to the audio and then (when appropriate) hear an audio prompt to change gears with my workout. none of the workout apps i tried fit this bill. i may be an idiot but that's how it went for me. every single one of them dropped audio, or cut out the music i was listening to, or some other really dumb fuckin thing.

i didn't try a lot of the really popular apps (e.g. Strava) because i felt like their data collection policies were wack, so if you're of different opinion there go for it. i also didn't try tons of paid apps, because after trying a few free apps and discovering that all of them were totally incompetent (and seeing that a lot of the big apps were creepy AF), i was quite skeptical that any app not giving a decent free trial was immediately suspect. that's just me though, weirdo guy who is a stickler for certain EULA terms

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, implementations vary between apps. I use Rocket Player to play downloaded music, it has a quite thorough set of options:

Having the option to duck the sound is great, so you don't lose the beat while the navigatrix tells you to turn left or the interval timer beeps.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I noticed yesterday that the camera app on my Pixel XL on 8.0 can no longer do selective focusing in Lens Blur mode. In standard mode, I can choose any point on the screen to focus, but Lens Blur now will only focus the very middle of the screen, meaning I either have to do lovely composition, or have an out of focus subject. Is this happening to anybody else?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Google is up to their third concurrent podcast app now and of course one's in the grave. Not quite their messaging mess but not far from it either:

Talk (RIP), G+ Messenger (RIP), Hangouts, Allo, Messenger*

Listen (RIP), Google Play Music, Podcasts, Shortwave

*Do we canonically consider Voice to be a Failed Google Messaging PlatformTM (FGMP)? I'm leaning no, but could be convinced that we should.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Google Reader technically functioned as a podcast player, too.

And isn't Allo officially discontinued?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I think Google Reader technically functioned as a podcast player, too.

And isn't Allo officially discontinued?

Oh yeah, I suppose that's true about Reader.

Google has "temporarily paused investment" in Allo. By "temporarily" they mean permanently and by "paused" they mean terminated. So not dead, not even on life support, just abandoned.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Google has "temporarily paused investment" in Allo. By "temporarily" they mean permanently and by "paused" they mean terminated. So not dead, not even on life support, just abandoned.

Lmao of loving course they are

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

LastInLine posted:

*Do we canonically consider Voice to be a Failed Google Messaging PlatformTM (FGMP)? I'm leaning no, but could be convinced that we should.

Google Voice is my number of record for my weed man and my Grindr hookups. May it never sunset.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Google Voice is a nerd burner phone it's great

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The voice app is so-so but the free fake phone number that I can give to realtors or other people I don't ever want to talk to again is invaluable.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wonder how many of those obihai gvoice boxes are out there? I've found one pretty useful.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

uPen posted:

The voice app is so-so but the free fake phone number that I can give to realtors or other people I don't ever want to talk to again is invaluable.

Being able to use it for the three out of six SMS-only 2FA I have is nice too, and of course being able to selectively call forward missed calls to use it as the best visual voicemail app on Android is the best.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Google is up to their third concurrent podcast app now and of course one's in the grave. Not quite their messaging mess but not far from it either:

Talk (RIP), G+ Messenger (RIP), Hangouts, Allo, Messenger*

Listen (RIP), Google Play Music, Podcasts, Shortwave

Wasn't Google Wave another messaging app of sorts?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Google Voice is my number of record for my weed man and my Grindr hookups. May it never sunset.

If I were to frame GV as FGMP I'd go about it by saying that, as a platform that encompasses nearly everything a carrier does including SMS, it could have been easily leveraged into an iMessage-like messaging service. I'm not sure the fact that they didn't try should figure into it.

Incessant Excess posted:

Wasn't Google Wave another messaging app of sorts?

I feel like Wave was more of an email thing? Collaboration tool? Workflow manager? It's definitely something but I'm not sure it's a FGMP. I could be talked into it, though.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Wave was google showing us how we would communicate across interplanetary and interstellar distances/time delays. It was kind of cool, but also a total clusterfuck, probably like living in space.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As I recall, Wave introduced the multiuser editing/highlighting stuff which later got implemented in Google Docs.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
This is a tiny, silly thing, but is there any way to change WhatsApp's appearance? The app works great, but it's so ugly and I'm a sucker for clean UI refreshes or at least customizable colors like Textra.

I assume the answer is no, but maybe I'm missing something obvious. I did change the chat background, but the whole green motif bugs me for some petty reason.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Google Fit got an update and I hate it. Lost my history and it doesn't have a widget.

Really not sure why I decide to use Google apps on my Google phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CRAYON posted:

Google Fit got an update and I hate it. Lost my history and it doesn't have a widget.

Really not sure why I decide to use Google apps on my Google phone.

Do you have a third party app that does passive step tracking and let's you integrate other workout apps? I just use Fit to collate all that data, but I'd like to have something else that doesn't tie me to Google.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Uthor posted:

Do you have a third party app that does passive step tracking and let's you integrate other workout apps? I just use Fit to collate all that data, but I'd like to have something else that doesn't tie me to Google.

I just use Google Fit as my passive tracker, mainly because the previous version had a really awesome goal widget. The new version still has goals but not the widget. :(

My history did end up back in the app but when I first got the update it was all gone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mine just updated. I like the Heart Points as that's exactly what I want out of Fit. And I didn't use the widget. A Google update that I actually like?!

But, weren't you able to set distance, steps, or calories as a goal? Seems like that was taken away, too.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Uthor posted:

Mine just updated. I like the Heart Points as that's exactly what I want out of Fit. And I didn't use the widget. A Google update that I actually like?!

But, weren't you able to set distance, steps, or calories as a goal? Seems like that was taken away, too.

Holy crap you're right, you could definitely do that before. My goals transferred over so I didn't notice but there doesn't seem to be a way to add new ones. It's also been removed from the web app and Google Calendar fitness goals don't show up either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm so glad my fitness goal is to die by 50 rather than working out. My step goal is around 1000 and my "activity goal" is 10 minutes which I'm not sure I've ever met.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got the update right in the middle of a week where I haven't been working out or leaving the house much because of wisdom tooth extraction woes so I think the app thinks I'm a lazy oaf.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been making an effort to move and work out more this week, so the app doesn't know that I AM a lazy oaf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I'm so glad my fitness goal is to die by 50 rather than working out. My step goal is around 1000 and my "activity goal" is 10 minutes which I'm not sure I've ever met.

same. i welcome nuclear hellfire at the hands of our dear orange leader