Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
first, don't use Facebook for storing and organizing your photos. alternatively, don't use facebook period. other than that i have no suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah there's no external photo management app* that works with Facebook, nor is there a clever way of doing it. Like mobile gaming, they've just come up with a minimum acceptable feature set that lures you into their business model. I'd say save yourself the pain, upload a few select pics to Facebook and let those who are interested click through to Flickr or something.

* Edit: there's probably tons of third party stuff for Facebook photos, but I bet they all suck terribly. Useful for giving you a cat face, but not for making a nice gallery.

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 12, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, too late because I painstakingly captioned about half of the 700 photos already and it's practically a narrative. I had already gotten them in the right order then I decided to add a new photo and Facebook decided to resort the photos. I'm just... going to have to spend an hour or two dragging and dropping them all over again. :sigh:

Next time I'll have to finalize the album before uploading so that I can just order future pics by upload date.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Not that I don't doubt that this interface is trash but what possible other interface could there be for organizing photos arbitrarily that's not a field of thumbnails and drag and drop?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Use Google Photos instead of Facebook.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Since we're on Facebook, is there a Messenger client that isn't Messenger itself or Messenger Lite?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

saintonan posted:

I've had good luck with Wifi File Explorer.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

LastInLine posted:

Not that I don't doubt that this interface is trash but what possible other interface could there be for organizing photos arbitrarily that's not a field of thumbnails and drag and drop?

Drag and drop is fine, but the implementation of it is super clunky. On the desktop, the interface for it only has 3 pictures per row, and they're bigger than thumbnails so there's only space for about 2 or 3 of them vertically. To add to that, pictures only load as you scroll down so every time I want to change something I have to keep scrolling down until it all loads first. Then the dragging itself isn't responsive at all, and sometimes I scroll down only to find I haven't scrolled at all, because I don't even know why. I have a lot of RAM, and even then it takes a literal second to scroll every time I hit page up, so to expedite things I end up just pressing it several times and hoping I land in the right spot when the row loads up 5 seconds later.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
RIP Inbox.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol glad I switched to Gmail when I did

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

drat, was hoping I'd scoop the thread on Inbox. Glad I never made the change. Take that, Google! The wife is going to be super pissed, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I still like Inbox and never really got why people didn't. It was really intuitive for marking a bunch of stuff "Done" in one click, but still giving me just enough information to know if something important is in there. And it all displayed nicely in one view with no need for tabs. It felt like a smart adaptation to what people actually use email for these days. Also didn't have ads in the middle of my emails. Oh well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I didn't like it because I hoard emails and I don't want something moving things around when I hit Snooze or Done. I prefer the way they are doing it in Gmail these days. But that's just my preference and I realize I am the odd one out here. It certainly had a lot of neat features. It's unfortunate that they didn't just make those settings in Gmail from day 1, but clearly it's easier for Google to spin up new products than it is for them to work on old ones.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Oh God drat it Google.

At least it seems that the reasons I prefer inbox have mostly been implemented in Gmail.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
What's unique to Inbox at this point anyway? I'm glad they actually integrated many of the new features into one app though, instead of just killing it off and forgetting about it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

What's unique to Inbox at this point anyway? I'm glad they actually integrated many of the new features into one app though, instead of just killing it off and forgetting about it.

I really liked the minimal whitespace-heavy interface that relied on swipes. Oh well.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

sirbeefalot posted:

Reminders. I let Reader go because RSS and websites weren't really doing it for me any more, but man, gently caress Google.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I liked the message grouping and not getting notifications for poo poo I don't care about enough to need a buzz against my leg for, but would like to read later. As long as that flows into Gmail, that's fine with me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

drat, I love Inbox :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Echophonic posted:

I liked the message grouping and not getting notifications for poo poo I don't care about enough to need a buzz against my leg for, but would like to read later. As long as that flows into Gmail, that's fine with me.

Message grouping is just the use of a hidden label as far as I know so you can duplicate the behavior in Gmail kind of in that you can make the group but you can't as easily act on the group as a whole without selecting all items first.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really liked the minimal whitespace-heavy interface that relied on swipes. Oh well.

This is the reason to miss Inbox; it just had a cleaner, more friendly layout.

I moved on when the new Gmail interface rolled out knowing this day would come but the biggest loss on my opinion is the lack of variably-sized rows for information surfacing. In Inbox, things like bills and packages and flights would get nice triple height rows with relevant information front and center which is just nicer than everything being of equal importance.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

Feature wise, nothing really. But I really enjoyed the interface, it helped me process everything easier, and the controls were quicker and nicer, IMO. The main thing I'll miss besides the interface is the really intelligent automatic grouping of emails, which would or would not give notifications depending on importance. I rarely had to modify where stuff went by default. I can do that in Gmail, but it's a manual process as far as I know. It'll be annoying switching back, but I'll adjust eventually.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 13, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/12/google-may-push-people-gmail-bad-substitute-inbox/

This article explains that, while it's improving, Gmail isn't nearly as easy to use as Inbox and breaks down some of the things Inbox can do that Gmail either can't or just fails to do in the same way.

Like pinning (Starring isn't anywhere near as useful), and bundling (doesn't exist). I think this is because Google must've split the Inbox team away from Gmail and they both do their own thing and NEVER talk to each other.

Like seemingly everything in Google.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ugh. It had been so long since I used Gmail that I forgot how much it was actually missing. I had thought labels and categories were a worse version of bundling, but apparently they aren't even that.

loving Google.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
For me the big one is saving links

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Something is badly wrong with gboard. To demonstrate I will type these two sentences again using swipes instead of taps.

I I Will Have Always LoveA. II I Will Will Always Love And You Hip Can Hop You OffHip.

I have no idea what changed, but it's basically unusable. I've been using gboard with swiping for years with minimal issues save for regular autocorrect bullshit.

Please advise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It just happened to me too, but a reboot resolved it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Something is badly wrong with gboard. To demonstrate I will type these two sentences again using swipes instead of taps.

I I Will Have Always LoveA. II I Will Will Always Love And You Hip Can Hop You OffHip.

I have no idea what changed, but it's basically unusable. I've been using gboard with swiping for years with minimal issues save for regular autocorrect bullshit.

Please advise.

I use gboard but never swipe. Normal typing is working as usual for me.

But I just tried swiping and holy poo poo you're right. It's completely unusable right now.

Actually, as I type this, normal typing autocorrect seems to be really bad right now, too. Still usable, but worse than usual. I think?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I force stopped gboard and it seems to be ok. What the gently caress, that was weird. Felt like I was having a stroke.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gboard autocorrect is all of a sudden horrible, wtf

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I force stopped gboard and it seems to be ok. What the gently caress, that was weird. Felt like I was having a stroke.

This fixed it for me, too. That was definitely one of the strangest Android experiences I've ever had.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Gboard autocorrect is all of a sudden horrible, wtf

Ur the mod of the regular Android thread. Wasn't this some sort of Google experiment?

I've been using SwiftKey for the past 6 years and I'm still mad about paying $5 for it only to have them turn it into a free app a year later.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been using SwiftKey for the past 6 years and I'm still mad about paying $5 for it only to have them turn it into a free app a year later.

Does it seem to you that SwiftKey's predictions have gotten worse in the last several months to a year? It's especially galling since they keep adding useless poo poo I don't care about.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, i had the Gboard and battery saver things happen today too. It's all resolved now. Strange.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

It just happened to me too, but a reboot resolved it.

This happened to my wife and I tonight as well, and we both had to reboot. Odd.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ur the mod of the regular Android thread. Wasn't this some sort of Google experiment?

Yeah sorry my dudes, this was all a mod mind game. Owned.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

azurite posted:

Yeah, i had the Gboard and battery saver things happen today too. It's all resolved now. Strange.

I didn't notice the Gboard thing but the battery saver thing was driving me up the loving wall.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Wait, what's the battery saver thing?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Toast Museum posted:

Wait, what's the battery saver thing?

I assume it's the weird problem my pixel had today where the battery saver had turned itself on every other time I looked at my phone today.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

Does it seem to you that SwiftKey's predictions have gotten worse in the last several months to a year? It's especially galling since they keep adding useless poo poo I don't care about.

Mine's been feeling great. I've noticed it's been getting random proper names more and more. I feel like they're using the news or something to populate the dictionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

uPen posted:

I assume it's the weird problem my pixel had today where the battery saver had turned itself on every other time I looked at my phone today.

Happened to me too on an og pixel, looks like a server side switch turned the auto turn on threshold to 99% :psyduck:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 14, 2018