Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

anakha posted:

And even if it did, it would probably just have scrambled as an option.

That's the only way to make them. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

That's the only way to make them. :colbert:

loving monster.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i still use timely after a billion years. its never hosed up although i recently had to turn off smart wake or whatever its called and turn on math challenge questions to shut it off because i suck at falling asleep at a reasonable hour now.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend keeps losing her phone. At least twice a day she asks, "Have you seen my phone?" and often it's a mad scramble to find it before we're late to get somewhere. There are dozens of apps that claim to help by whistling, clapping, etc. to find your phone in a room by making it play sounds at full volume even if it's on silent (which is why me simply calling her phone from my phone doesn't work), but they all have terrible reviews. Does a good one exist?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can use Find My Device from Google. It has an app, a web portal, and if you have any sort of Google Home you can ask it to find your phone.

The fact that your girlfriend is losing something as important as a phone 2x a day is probably more concerning, but that is for another thread.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

You can use Find My Device from Google. It has an app, a web portal, and if you have any sort of Google Home you can ask it to find your phone.

The fact that your girlfriend is losing something as important as a phone 2x a day is probably more concerning, but that is for another thread.

I just tried Google's app on my phone and it's great, but I don't see a way to ping her phone from my phone.

As for why, she has a six year old, so getting ready to go out means juggling a million things and she'll forget what room she put her phone in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If you have a Google Home, you can of course just ask it "Where is my phone?"

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

LifeLynx posted:

I just tried Google's app on my phone and it's great, but I don't see a way to ping her phone from my phone.

As for why, she has a six year old, so getting ready to go out means juggling a million things and she'll forget what room she put her phone in.
If you want to find her phone from your phone can't you just ... call her phone?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

If you want to find her phone from your phone can't you just ... call her phone?

It's on silent 99% of the time like most people's. Is there a way so my calls always come on at a higher volume ring? Maybe Tasker?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LifeLynx posted:

Have her log into Google on a computer/browser and type "find my phone" into search.

Alternate, install the Find My Device on your phone and have her log in as guest.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You just go here and select the first option.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

It's on silent 99% of the time like most people's. Is there a way so my calls always come on at a higher volume ring? Maybe Tasker?

Join by joaoapps can do it along with a bunch of other stuff

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

LifeLynx posted:

You'll have to switch accounts into hers in order to ping her phone. You can do the same from web or a Google home. If you type in "find my phone" on web, it should give you a prompt.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LifeLynx posted:

It's not an app but if you get one of those Tile bluetooth trackers for your keys you can make your phone make noise by clicking on the tile as well as vice-versa. My elderly father regularly "loses" his keys, wallet, and phone so we've got a Tile on his keys, a slim one in his wallet and we can use them to find his phone. I also shared the tiles to the app on my phone so I can find them, too. Fair warning, the Tile devices are made to be replaced every year for like $20 each (less if you buy a multipack) so they super seal them up with the battery.

Almost every time we've had to find something of his it's in a coat or pants pocket he forgot about, but he's lost car keys before and those are $300+ to get replaced at the dealership so it seems like the Tile giving us even a chance of recovering them makes it worthwhile.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LifeLynx posted:

My girlfriend keeps losing her phone. At least twice a day she asks, "Have you seen my phone?" and often it's a mad scramble to find it before we're late to get somewhere. There are dozens of apps that claim to help by whistling, clapping, etc. to find your phone in a room by making it play sounds at full volume even if it's on silent (which is why me simply calling her phone from my phone doesn't work), but they all have terrible reviews. Does a good one exist?
My wife and I have been using Where's My Droid for this purpose (and for reaching each other in emergencies) for years. You just set up an attention phrase and text that to her phone when you need it to ring. It works well for us, just make sure your attention phrase has at least two words, it doesn't seem to work with just one anymore.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

If you have a Google Home, you can of course just ask it "Where is my phone?"
It annoys me so much that this is a two-step request in which I have to wait for the thing to name my one and only phone and ask me if I want it to ring in a sentence that is much longer than it really needs to be. I'm only ever using this feature when I'm trying to go out. Just shut up and make my phone ring!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's so long I usually find my phone before she gets to asking me if I'd like to ring

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yo! I used to use Z launcher and loved having a gesture search straight from my home screen without having to open an app.

Got a new phone, Z launcher isn't on the Play store anymore and isn't being supported, so I should probably move on. I could probably make any launcher work for me, but I'm seriously missing the gesture search. Any alternatives\suggestions?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Nova laucher does that. You can set up a gesture or something to launch whatever you like (for example I can double tap on my home screen to bring up the Assistant voice prompt).

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Nova laucher does that. You can set up a gesture or something to launch whatever you like (for example I can double tap on my home screen to bring up the Assistant voice prompt).

It wasn't gestures to launch apps, it was gesture search for apps.

EG: If I wanted the clock app, I'd draw a C on my home screen, all apps starting with C (sorted by use) would appear. It was great because I never had to look at an app drawer. My 5 most commonly used apps were on the home screen so it's been a while since I've gone through an android menu system...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

H13 posted:

EG: If I wanted the clock app, I'd draw a C on my home screen, all apps starting with C (sorted by use) would appear. It was great because I never had to look at an app drawer. My 5 most commonly used apps were on the home screen so it's been a while since I've gone through an android menu system...

Never used it but this seems to do it

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carlosdelachica.finger&hl=en

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

H13 posted:

Oh, ok. Definitely misunderstood what you wanted. Sorry, I don't know of any app that does that!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It annoys me so much that this is a two-step request in which I have to wait for the thing to name my one and only phone and ask me if I want it to ring in a sentence that is much longer than it really needs to be. I'm only ever using this feature when I'm trying to go out. Just shut up and make my phone ring!

Perhaps the time it takes is passive aggressive punishment for you having lost your phone?

I've never really thought about until now but I guess it is pretty slow going about it.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
A couple things I'm interested in:

-A file explorer that can make me a widget that hardlinks directly to a particular directory. I keep certain reference images and documents and stuff and would like to just put them all in the same place and go directly there from my home screen rather than opening the file browser (or gallery or Google docs or whatever) and navigating to them.

-A shopping list app that I can synch with another user and which automatically un-checks old items rather than making a new duplicate on the same list, so that I can keep persistent notes about those items. The behavior I'm imagining is that one of us goes to create a new item on the list and starts typing "carrots" or whatever and the old, already-checked-off "baby carrots" (the details field of which has information about which store to buy them at, or whatever) is presented as a suggestion. Previous collaborative list apps I've tried had a way to un-checks items but you had to search through your list to see if you already had it and I found it irritating.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eikre posted:

-A file explorer that can make me a widget that hardlinks directly to a particular directory. I keep certain reference images and documents and stuff and would like to just put them all in the same place and go directly there from my home screen rather than opening the file browser (or gallery or Google docs or whatever) and navigating to them.

-A shopping list app that I can synch with another user and which automatically un-checks old items rather than making a new duplicate on the same list, so that I can keep persistent notes about those items. The behavior I'm imagining is that one of us goes to create a new item on the list and starts typing "carrots" or whatever and the old, already-checked-off "baby carrots" (the details field of which has information about which store to buy them at, or whatever) is presented as a suggestion. Previous collaborative list apps I've tried had a way to un-checks items but you had to search through your list to see if you already had it and I found it irritating.

For the shopping list my wife and I use Our Groceries. Syncs immediately so you can shop simultaneously and it works with both WearOS devices, via the web, and Google Home so you can add things by voice. The crossed off items "uncross" when you add them and you can add pictures, notes, and add them by barcode if you like.

Here's a tip: If you mostly shop at one store, make categories of Aisle 1, Aisle 2, etc. Then as you add things to the list they will appear in category order, which is then in Aisle order.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Eikre posted:

Solid Explorer can do this.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Here's a tip: If you mostly shop at one store, make categories of Aisle 1, Aisle 2, etc. Then as you add things to the list they will appear in category order, which is then in Aisle order.

Categorizing by aisle bros :hfive:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rexxed posted:

It's not an app but if you get one of those Tile bluetooth trackers for your keys you can make your phone make noise by clicking on the tile as well as vice-versa. My elderly father regularly "loses" his keys, wallet, and phone so we've got a Tile on his keys, a slim one in his wallet and we can use them to find his phone. I also shared the tiles to the app on my phone so I can find them, too. Fair warning, the Tile devices are made to be replaced every year for like $20 each (less if you buy a multipack) so they super seal them up with the battery.

Almost every time we've had to find something of his it's in a coat or pants pocket he forgot about, but he's lost car keys before and those are $300+ to get replaced at the dealership so it seems like the Tile giving us even a chance of recovering them makes it worthwhile.

This might interest you:

Engadget posted:

Tile is announcing its latest line of trackers will finally have replaceable batteries. Plus, the company is rolling out a new Premium service that promises, among other features, free battery replacements every year.

According to Tile, the batteries in both of the models are guaranteed to last at least 12 months each. Just like it does now with the older Tiles, the Tile app will let you know when the batteries are running low. Of course, since the new Tiles use ordinary coin cells, you can just go out and buy the replacement batteries yourself, without having to involve Tile in the process.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Eikre posted:

I was going to suggest Google Shopping List (https://shoppinglist.google.com), which is a bit basic but I think ticks your boxes. It sounds like the Our Groceries app suggested above is a better version of the same, though.

I want to second how useful Google Home support is. I thought it'd be a gimmick at first, but being able to just say "Hey Google add milk to the shopping list" to your empty kitchen right as you're using the last of the milk is actually really handy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

incogneato posted:

I want to second how useful Google Home support is. I thought it'd be a gimmick at first, but being able to just say "Hey Google add milk to the shopping list" to your empty kitchen right as you're using the last of the milk is actually really handy.

Yeah, it turns out this is super important.

Google's shopping list feature though is terrible (seriously they can't even give us a true application?) and while it's functional it's so barebones that I feel like if you're just starting out you're always going to be disappointed by its limitations and you just know Google's already forgotten about it. If you're lucky it will stay just as crappy as it is now forever and if you're unlucky they'll remember it and kill it. You might as well prepare for that day now and move on.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a Podcast App that supports password protected feeds as well as syncing between devices?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I've got a couple password protected feeds in pocket casts. You have to put the info into a custom url for it to work, but once you get it set up, it's fine.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I had to switch away from pocketcasts because some of my feeds wouldn't work even with the manual url method.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Who uses a password manager? Which ones are good? And do they work well across devices?

(It's about time I did this)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I use 1password. I find it about equal in terms of usability to LastPass on Android

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

Who uses a password manager? Which ones are good? And do they work well across devices?

(It's about time I did this)

Yes, I use KeePass.

Wasn't 1Password the one with a number of security issues?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, I use KeePass.

That's the one where you host it yourself right? Do you keep the password store on Google Drive or something?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Did Pie add some improved password manager integration or something? I vaguely remember a discussion on that a while back. I use LastPass on my computers, but I'd like to bring it over to my phone, too. Does it work pretty seamlessly? Any reason not to?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

That's the one where you host it yourself right? Do you keep the password store on Google Drive or something?

Yup, encrypted database is safe and happy on Google drives, and it integrates into Oreo's autofill API too (the app is Keepass2Droid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ola posted:

Most people recommend Dropbox because Drive apparently has some hiccups with syncing, but I never notice because I only ever use Keepass Read-Only on mobile and am kinda neurotic about making Drive is synced and then the Keepass2Android app is synced whenever I make a change to the archive anyway. Eh.