Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol Apple is such garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So now what's everyone's favorite weather app going to be? I discovered Windy, which has really nice maps, but I'd actually grown to like having the temperature in my notification bar.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
god gently caress apple

i hope their factories stay closed for months

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Uthor posted:

RIP Dark Sky

https://blog.darksky.net/dark-sky-has-a-new-home/

Funnily, I learned this as a weather alert on my phone.

Man, that sucks a lot. Their precipitation forecasts were surprisingly accurate in remote areas where we go hiking. I didn't even use the app, mostly just the website.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At least the API is still going to work until the end of 2021, so stuff like Overdrop will still work for the time being.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Came here to complain about DarkSky and hopefully find another similar app. :(

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, poo poo.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well that's a big gently caress you then

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Is weather Timeline still good or is it still poo poo

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

RIP Dark Sky

https://blog.darksky.net/dark-sky-has-a-new-home/

Funnily, I learned this as a weather alert on my phone.

dammit this sucks. stupid apple

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Also here to moan about Darksky. What is it about timeline-oriented weather apps?!

First I was using Weather Timeline and that got sold to someone or other (I forget who now) but they hobbled the app by restricting it to their own lovely forecasts. Now Darksky's let me down too :(

Anyone got any decent alternatives? Goes without saying I don't mind paying for it if it's good, seeing as I subscribed to Darksky.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
April Fools? :pray:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
apple would sue them

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Weather kitty uses dark sky data too I believe

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Weather kitty uses dark sky data too I believe

Not anymore lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, the API will still be usable for existing apps through the end of 2021.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
No widgets, but I made a shortcut to the NWS Hourly Weather Graph web page for my location and that has served most of my needs, with Google taking up the slack for current temperature quick viewing.

Weather Underground killed their widgets so now I just have a shortcut to the NWS forecast page for my location so I can get the wind chill/heat index, too.

I guess weather just isn't profitable :(

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, app makers have nearly two years to shift to another weather api. carrot isn’t going to stop working.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Seeing some recommendations on reddit for Windy and Today Weather. Any goon approvals?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

BisterdDave posted:

Seeing some recommendations on reddit for Windy and Today Weather. Any goon approvals?

Just installed Today Weather and it seems nice enough that I just dropped $6.50 for premium. It's a little irksome that the radar only shows now and future, not the past couple hours, but whatever.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

BisterdDave posted:

Just installed Windy. Seems alright, no adds, asks for in-app donations. Doesn't seem like anything's paywalled.

shykid10
May 4, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

I've found Hello Weather to be pretty great. Multiple data source options, devs are pretty active on Twitter, and the app is well designed.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

shykid10 posted:

I've found Hello Weather to be pretty great. Multiple data source options, devs are pretty active on Twitter, and the app is well designed.

Yeah this seems nice to use, cheers

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there an app capable of diagnosing or calibrating the touch screen? I have a funny spot on the P20P, where scrolling for the forums for example, it will stop and highlight text in the middle of scrolling (not just the forums). Swiping left to right on photos and such can be off as well. No dead zones I can notice, just acts weird.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

Is there an app capable of diagnosing or calibrating the touch screen? I have a funny spot on the P20P, where scrolling for the forums for example, it will stop and highlight text in the middle of scrolling (not just the forums). Swiping left to right on photos and such can be off as well. No dead zones I can notice, just acts weird.

You can enable "show touches" or something similar in development options if that helps?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Say hello to the best app you'll ever install: 6.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm also having issues with PocketCasts quitting randomly when Chromecast has focus. I have no memory/battery management. Any news on this yet?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So what is the general consensus on the best keyboard these days? I know there are some suggestions on the OP but that thing is like five years old at this point.

Gboard is loving terrible, bordering on unusable for me. Autocorrecting correctly spelled words for nonsensical replacements, NOT autocorrecting very minor misspellings, etc. Plus the gif search suuuucks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Swiftkey

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

So what is the general consensus on the best keyboard these days? I know there are some suggestions on the OP but that thing is like five years old at this point.

Gboard is loving terrible, bordering on unusable for me. Autocorrecting correctly spelled words for nonsensical replacements, NOT autocorrecting very minor misspellings, etc. Plus the gif search suuuucks.

Funnily enough I switched from Swiftkey to Gboard for exactly the same reasons in 2017 after about year of suffering the awful autocorrect that used to be amazing for 2 years before that. Though I think at one point I had to completely reset Gboard as well since it also went to crap over time.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 9, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gboard works perfectly swiping, all you've got to do is turn the autocorrect off.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My issue with Swiftkey is that the cursor keys are absolutely terrible. They take up a stupid amount of space and are poorly located. The keys take up the entire bottom row which pushes the whole keyboard upwards. As a result on numerous occasions I’ve inadvertently hit the space key or cursor key when I meant to hit the other.

Perhaps I would have a better experience by not having them as they are by default but I’ve gotten used to having them on Windows 10 Mobile and they’re handy to have when you actually need them. What I really wish is if Microsoft had ported over their Windows 10 Mobile keyboard along with the cursor nub instead of what appears to be not doing much with Swiftkey.

I’ve actually resorted to using the Blackberry Keyboard in spite of its convoluted install process and potentially questionable long term support. But I find it pleasant for me to use. Only real downside is no autofill suggestions (oddly enough it provides suggestions but you have to type them out) and no swipe texting without giving up swiping quick access keys.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I got so much muscle memory from using SwiftKey for years that anything else is confusing. Little things like space to enter the suggested word and being able to capitalize a word AFTER typing it out.

The only time autocorrect didn't work for me was when the Afrikaans dictionary was turned on for some reason and it was correcting the words into another language.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Gboard works perfectly swiping, all you've got to do is turn the autocorrect off.

The Gboard auto predict/auto correct is loving god awful and I feel like it's gotten worse over time

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

vyst posted:

The Gboard auto predict/auto correct is loving god awful and I feel like it's gotten worse over time

Much like every other Google product.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Remember when. Youd be produced to use their stuff? I just left that sentence as it was to display how bad gboard is

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That ended July 1st, 2013.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've never had any issues with gboard that weren't caused by iOS limitations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I learned something about myself today: It is important to me that the keys on my keyboard have symbol of the key it is meant to produce when pressed. For example, the spacebar should have an image of a space, either through the use of negative space or through a simple long dash to represent and empty space. One thing it should never have is other words or letters on it, especially not an advertisement for a brand or company. Updated my Moto X4 today and gboard added an ad to the spacebar. Can't handle it.

Trying out the ones in the OP but Swiftkey also puts an ad for themselves on the keyboard (and it looked like they shrunk the keys but might just be a thing I'd adjust to)

Looked at Fleksy but it said it has ads and no thanks to ads on a keyboard. I'm a tapper so didn't check the swipey one.

Hilariously, Minuum seems to have the most normal keyboard so far, at least until you accidentally activate one of it's weird modes of their one-row keyboard thing. No ad on keyboard at least.

Browsing the app store it looks like keyboards are a hellscape. I assume a lot of these are just trying to lure in goobers with emojis and and all that poo poo so they can harvest data?

Found one called Typewise that touts being pretty private, but it's got some whacky gimmicks too, like no delete button and some bizarre hexagon thing they invented. Costs 79 cents a month or 26 bucks for a lifetime license. What is a normal price for a phone keyboard app? Definitely not interested in a subscription fee in any case.

Any recommendations for this wishlist:
1) A blank spacebar.
2) No "learning curve" gimmicks
3) No ads or IAP but like I'll buy it for a normal one time price
4) idk dude feel like just want a "regular" dang keyboard, right? this is already ten times more thought and testing than i ever wanted to do for a keyboard

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What on earth are you talking about Gboard having branding on the spacebar?

E: here is mine:

I've used it forever and have never seen what you're talking about