Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Loki Kunti posted:

Go to "chrome://flags" and search for "Tab Groups" and switch any flag coming up to "disabled" (three flags for me in total). Then restart Chrome.
WARNING: Chrome tabs will then behave as before, you are "loosing" all the new behavior (which I didn't like).

I disabled all three flags, and now long pressing a link only gives me the option to open in a new tab group, not a new tab :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No issue here with Discord on my Pixel 5.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I knew Google killed Google Play Music a few months ago but it wasn't really an issue for me until today when I wanted to cast some local file music to my TV. YouTube Music hates this for some reason, so I need a replacement app.

Any suggestions on what yall may use for local file in-house casting?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Harlock posted:

I knew Google killed Google Play Music a few months ago but it wasn't really an issue for me until today when I wanted to cast some local file music to my TV. YouTube Music hates this for some reason, so I need a replacement app.

Plex?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Harlock posted:

Poweramp can send to chromecast. At least I have a button for it. Not near a chromecast to check right now though.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I disabled all three flags, and now long pressing a link only gives me the option to open in a new tab group, not a new tab :mad:

Hm, sorry, that's different for me - a long press on a link still gives me the option to open in a new tab (besides all the other options).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Loki Kunti posted:

Hm, sorry, that's different for me - a long press on a link still gives me the option to open in a new tab (besides all the other options).

Even though it restarted itself after I toggled the flags, I force closed it and cleared cache just now and it fixed it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

effika posted:

Poweramp can send to chromecast. At least I have a button for it. Not near a chromecast to check right now though.

I just checked with mine, and it does work.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

(Discord doing weird poo poo)

Just as a quick update, in contact with a dev allegedly, probably actually just a CS agent as a go between on this, considering it's persisting across builds and independently of clean reinstalls/etc. Turns out part of the extra heat is that the CPU is running so hard trying to keep up with Discord's calls that it's running my battery 15% over the max voltage rating... Thanks Discord, sure didn't need another reason to replace this phone with its fixed battery and no replacements available.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just as a quick update, in contact with a dev allegedly, probably actually just a CS agent as a go between on this, considering it's persisting across builds and independently of clean reinstalls/etc. Turns out part of the extra heat is that the CPU is running so hard trying to keep up with Discord's calls that it's running my battery 15% over the max voltage rating... Thanks Discord, sure didn't need another reason to replace this phone with its fixed battery and no replacements available.

Discord calls have been trash on every single mobile device I've tried it on. I've used it on the Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 4 XL, and iPad 8th Gen. I refuse to use it on my Pixel 5 or iPad Air 4.

I personally wouldn't use Discord for calls unless you have a desktop with a webcam or a laptop because it will eventually overheat the device or gently caress up the camera, just like it did on mine where I had to reboot because it refused to stop using the camera when I ended a call.

If someone wants to video call, then I'll use either Duo or even Telegram.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ThermoPhysical posted:

Discord calls have been trash on every single mobile device I've tried it on. I've used it on the Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 4 XL, and iPad 8th Gen. I refuse to use it on my Pixel 5 or iPad Air 4.

I personally wouldn't use Discord for calls unless you have a desktop with a webcam or a laptop because it will eventually overheat the device or gently caress up the camera, just like it did on mine where I had to reboot because it refused to stop using the camera when I ended a call.

If someone wants to video call, then I'll use either Duo or even Telegram.

I don't even use it for calls, is the thing. I just use it (on mobile) for DMs with a couple friends, and two smaller group servers. I've never made a video or audio-only call on mobile with it. That's all exclusively my desktop at home.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've seriously never had a lick of trouble with discord. I was just on a 3 hour voice chat with 6 other friends this past weekend playing a game together and I don't even know if battery usage registered on my Pixel 5. The phone certainly didn't get warm at all.

Granted, I'm not connected to a ton of different servers, only one. So, that may be a factor.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

It's possible, but my server number hasn't changed in quite a while, and I've only joined two new servers (one of which is 6 people and could have just been a group DM if we didn't need multiple channels) in the past year, so I'm not sure why it would be so sudden onset.

e: and with no more support response yet, the battery draw from Discord has finally become enough to outpace my desk's USB charger, Jesus.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 3, 2021

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm having no issues, but at the same time, I'm also in the open beta, so no clue what the release channel performance is like on my phone.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I’ve run into a bug before where after uploading an image Discord got stuck in some mode where it’s eaten my battery. Has not happened on the Pixel 4a yet, but on my pixel 2 I would force end the app and it would go back to normal.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any good crossword puzzle apps worth spending google bux on? I've been using Shortyz forever, and like it. I tried the NY Times app, but don't like not being able to use Gboard.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Guessing you want US style crosswords but if you're up for UK style ones the Guardian's crossword works absolutely great in phone browsers (well Chrome at least) and is free

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I was looking for the US style, but those Guardian ones are pretty neat too. Thanks

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I'm trying to migrate off AuthenticatorPlus since it seems to have been abandoned by its creator for a couple years now. It's scary realizing how many 2FA tokens I have tied to an app that could implode at any moment. Especially since the export functionality appears to have broken at some point over the years (on Android at least) so I'll have to manually detach and reattach 2FA for every single account I have. gently caress.

Is Authy the thread choice for 2FA these days? I assume it has an export functionality so I can regularly back things up going forward?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Authy is the choice yes, but it's backups are internal as opposed to export based.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lastpass has a good one built in apparently? Never used it myself, I've always been on authy

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
For low value accounts I have used Bitwarden's built in TOPT tool, but I don't make a habit of that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I moved my stuff to BitWarden, but I kept my BitWarden 2FA in Google Authenticator.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Is there a recommended weather app now that Arcus is dead?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I switched to Appy a while back, it has nice widgets and uses Dark Sky for now. I think I got the recommendation from the thread.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Shofixti posted:

I'm trying to migrate off AuthenticatorPlus since it seems to have been abandoned by its creator for a couple years now. It's scary realizing how many 2FA tokens I have tied to an app that could implode at any moment. Especially since the export functionality appears to have broken at some point over the years (on Android at least) so I'll have to manually detach and reattach 2FA for every single account I have. gently caress.

Is Authy the thread choice for 2FA these days? I assume it has an export functionality so I can regularly back things up going forward?

I saw this in a review for Authenticator+:

quote:

SOLVED: The app is not updated anymore and the export function is broken. However, it is a SQLite Database which you can open if you still remember your master password. Download SQLiteStudio and transfer the authplus.db backup from your device to your PC. Open the DB with type 'SQLCipher' and enter your Master Password in the provided box. Then on the left you will find tables -> accounts . The key you would like to save is in the row 'SECRET'. This string can be added manually to any authenticator app. Under Google authenticator choose 'enter a setup key'.

Looks like it'll work, I decrypted my database and going to convert to Authy as well.

Edit: Just started doing this and it works perfectly.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 12, 2021

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

calandryll posted:

Looks like it'll work, I decrypted my database and going to convert to Authy as well.

Wow this will save a ton of work. Thank you!!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dxt posted:

I like Shadow Weather.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

dxt posted:

1Weather is working well for me. I also have shortcuts to the website for my NWS office since they have better graphs.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Thanks for the suggestions, ended up going with 1Weather for now as I liked the widget best (4x1 with some details like I was used to with Arcus, I don't like change)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a good app for reading game/fandom wikis? The mobile pages are awful and usually have a video taking up the top half of the screen.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

calandryll posted:

Didn't even know Auth+ was dead. This was incredibly helpful. Thanks!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So TickTick has started chasing down more of my info and more permissions off my phone for things it has no business touching. Any suggestions for a replacement checklist/reminder? I need the reminders to be able to stick as notifications and not be cleared, period, until I manually clear them, & need to be able to handle recurring reminders. That's about it. As little cloud integration or whatever BS is ideal. Anything worth switching over to, or am I just gonna have to fork more permissions over? (Thankfully it at least still runs existing notifications, I just can't open the app's UI. Handles my medications so that's important.)

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

So TickTick has started chasing down more of my info and more permissions off my phone for things it has no business touching. Any suggestions for a replacement checklist/reminder? I need the reminders to be able to stick as notifications and not be cleared, period, until I manually clear them, & need to be able to handle recurring reminders. That's about it. As little cloud integration or whatever BS is ideal. Anything worth switching over to, or am I just gonna have to fork more permissions over? (Thankfully it at least still runs existing notifications, I just can't open the app's UI. Handles my medications so that's important.)

I use Google Assistant/Google Calendars for mine. You can put a reminder in Google Calendar and if your phone is logged into the same Google account it'll pop up on your phone. You can swipe the notification away or click "done", but aside from that the notification will stay up. If you have any google assistant devices in your house, it'll ping them too, but with a dot of light that stays until you clear the reminder. You can set the reminders to repeat once per so many days/weeks/etc in Google Calendar too. I've had a reminder going every other Sunday for about two years now, and it still works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

I use Google Assistant/Google Calendars for mine. You can put a reminder in Google Calendar and if your phone is logged into the same Google account it'll pop up on your phone. You can swipe the notification away or click "done", but aside from that the notification will stay up. If you have any google assistant devices in your house, it'll ping them too, but with a dot of light that stays until you clear the reminder. You can set the reminders to repeat once per so many days/weeks/etc in Google Calendar too. I've had a reminder going every other Sunday for about two years now, and it still works.

This is the same method I use and for the same purpose as the op wants. It's important that the reminders are created *from Calendar* because Google reminders created by Assistant or by Keep act differently, especially in how they handle notifications.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LastInLine posted:

This is the same method I use and for the same purpose as the op wants. It's important that the reminders are created *from Calendar* because Google reminders created by Assistant or by Keep act differently, especially in how they handle notifications.

Unfortunately, though I do use Calendar for less important things, its notifications often disappear on me without being actively cleared & nothing protects them from any "clear all" whether accidental or intentional. TickTick sticks around and ignores everything that's not consciously going in and marking "complete" and will do so for days at a time. I'm lucky if a Calendar reminder stays up for 20 minutes. Not great for things that could potentially have to wait for hours.
The reminder and recurring settings are also pretty limited but that's a lesser concern.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey folxs, I have some questions. I think I was recommended aquamail here years ago, it was fine. I paid a dollar or something for premium and it was a good mailbox for a time.

I swapped phones a few months back in what is turning out to be a side-grade. I downloaded aquamail again and it looks the same, but plays ads which is horrible. Any advice on a decent mailbox? I don't want to use gmail's app, just because I don't like the sorting.

I have another question, maybe you can point me in the right direction. So I bought the razer phone 2 which is lol-worthy, but it plays my phone games beautifully in 144 fps so who's to say if it's super bad or not.

Here's the catch, the sound drivers are very hosed on the razer phone. I dont think it's an hardware issue, as a restarts usually resolves the issues I have. Some applications have distorted audio sometimes. Other times the volume going up and down, as visualized on the screen bars, doesn't affect the actual volume on the speakers. Occasionally nothing is playing, and I will get a crackle on an app doing something.

Early on I tried a factory reset, or re-downloading effected applications to no avail. Do you folks think there's anything I can do, and is jailbreaking/installing my own android os or something with different drivers would help?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Unfortunately, though I do use Calendar for less important things, its notifications often disappear on me without being actively cleared & nothing protects them from any "clear all" whether accidental or intentional. TickTick sticks around and ignores everything that's not consciously going in and marking "complete" and will do so for days at a time. I'm lucky if a Calendar reminder stays up for 20 minutes. Not great for things that could potentially have to wait for hours.
The reminder and recurring settings are also pretty limited but that's a lesser concern.

This is not my experience but I never use dismiss all and haven't ever ignored taking my medications two days in a row so who knows how they stack. Reminders definitely don't disappear on their own though obviously calendar events do.

That said if it doesn't work for you that's fine, but I do think you might be on the extreme side of users' needs in a reminding app. You aren't going to find too many willing to fight so hard against efforts to thwart the reminding.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LastInLine posted:

That said if it doesn't work for you that's fine, but I do think you might be on the extreme side of users' needs in a reminding app. You aren't going to find too many willing to fight so hard against efforts to thwart the reminding.

ADHD combined with an irregular schedule that sees "window to do the thing I am reminded of" potentially swinging by hours day to day with no way to know before the day of - yeah, I'm definitely on the outer edge of needs. I get that it's unusual. I'll see what I can do with calendars/reminders to figure out what I was doing wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Hey folxs, I have some questions. I think I was recommended aquamail here years ago, it was fine. I paid a dollar or something for premium and it was a good mailbox for a time.

I swapped phones a few months back in what is turning out to be a side-grade. I downloaded aquamail again and it looks the same, but plays ads which is horrible. Any advice on a decent mailbox? I don't want to use gmail's app, just because I don't like the sorting.

I can't help with the rest, but this sounds like you either didn't reinstall the Aquamail Pro unlocker app, or else Aquamail isn't detecting it.
I got a new phone just a few weeks ago, and I vaguely remember having to take some extra step to make Aquamail behave, but it's fine and ad-free now.