Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I quite like lynx, feels like nova+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Never used it, but I have flirted with trying Niagara Launcher as an uber minimal launcher, could be fun.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Guillermus posted:

I know we are in 2022 but I kinda want to experiment with launchers again (been using Nova since 2010-2011). Any good modern launcher out there? I have a Windows Phone one (yes, I do liked WP interface) but I'm open for others.

Whoa... it never occurred to me that windows-like launchers for Android would be a thing, but they obviously are, in spades. It's a given that plenty of them are bloated, ad-infested, resource-hogging garbage, but looking at how many there are and how popular some are, there have got to be at least a couple that would be the bees knees (for someone who'd love their phone to be like windows, obv). I think I know what my main timesink is going to be this week.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 12, 2022

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Whoa... it never occurred to me that windows-like launchers for Android would be a thing, but they obviously are, in spades. It's a given that plenty of them are bloated, ad-infested, resource-hogging garbage, but looking at how many there are and how popular some are, there have got to be at least a couple that would be the bees knees (for someone who'd love their phone to be like windows, obv). I think I know what my main timesink is going to be this week.

Borq's 3D launcher is essentially a Packard Bell Navigator for phones, if you want to get really ridiculous.

Edit: I know you mean flat Win8 phone style, just funnier to think CE or pre-vista

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Doesn't Microsoft themselves make a Windows phone style launcher?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sweart gliwere posted:

Borq's 3D launcher is essentially a Packard Bell Navigator for phones, if you want to get really ridiculous.

Tell me more

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

sweart gliwere posted:

Edit: I know you mean flat Win8 phone style, just funnier to think CE or pre-vista

Get back to me when we have MS Bob for Android.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Aware posted:

Doesn't Microsoft themselves make a Windows phone style launcher?

Looks like!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Launcher

But I bet this discontinued one is more like you were thinking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_Mobile

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

Looks like!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Launcher

But I bet this discontinued one is more like you were thinking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_Mobile

Yep I think you're right. I think i remember running the latter on an old Motorola android phone for a while, it wasn't bad but also not great.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Apparently it's been removed or the owner disappeared?

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1807579-REVIEW-3D-Home-The-Best-3D-App-Launcher-for-Android

All the links I've found for google play are dead, but it's still on APK re-host sites.

Edit. OF COURSE IT'S STILL ON AMAZON https://www.amazon.com/s?i=mobile-apps&rh=p_4%3ABorqs&search-type=ss

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 13, 2022

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Go RV! posted:

I've been using Metal for my Facebook needs for a while now, but it hasn't been updated since 2018 and it's starting to get jankier and jankier.

Is there another recommended Facebook wrapper?

I've been using Frost for a few months now and it was fine until last month, so maybe stay away from that one.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Does anyone have any good weather app recommendations? Currently using Appy Weather and I feel that it is not giving an accurate enough forecast.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

There have been a lot of recs just recently, over the last few pages.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hipster_Doofus posted:

There have been a lot of recs just recently, over the last few pages.

I am freaking blind, how did I miss that? May have been skimming too fast. Thank you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sweart gliwere posted:

Apparently it's been removed or the owner disappeared?

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1807579-REVIEW-3D-Home-The-Best-3D-App-Launcher-for-Android

All the links I've found for google play are dead, but it's still on APK re-host sites.

Edit. OF COURSE IT'S STILL ON AMAZON https://www.amazon.com/s?i=mobile-apps&rh=p_4%3ABorqs&search-type=ss

lmao it's gorgeous

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I think my question's more software than anything else. My job just dropped a Galaxy tab s8 in my lap to help me with building an inventory tracking & management system for our department. Anyone have experience with, recommendations for apps that will help me capture serials via either barcode or QR into spreadsheet cells? Our overall architecture is MSAD / office365, for better or for ill I'm stuck with Excel.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

5er posted:

I think my question's more software than anything else. My job just dropped a Galaxy tab s8 in my lap to help me with building an inventory tracking & management system for our department. Anyone have experience with, recommendations for apps that will help me capture serials via either barcode or QR into spreadsheet cells? Our overall architecture is MSAD / office365, for better or for ill I'm stuck with Excel.

Is purchasing hardware an option? If your use case involves manually scanning a bunch of QR/barcodes one after another, I'd look into getting a purpose-built barcode scanner. All the ones I've used can insert a carriage return after each code, so you don't have to manually select the next row between scans. A workflow involving scanning with the tablet's camera is probably going to be slower and more fiddly, and there's a ton of cheap pistol-grip barcode scanners out there. If you've got more of a budget and don't want to carry two things, there are even Android devices specifically intended for inventory scenarios, complete with dedicated built-in barcode scanner.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a Galaxy Tab A7 using One UI 3.1 and Android 11. I presently only use it for viewing my Unifi cameras - helpfully the Unifi Protect app doesn't allow Live View grids of multiple cameras, only the web version. Running Chrome for this wastes space on the screen with the tab and address bar and I've not found a way to disable this - is there a different, minimal browser I can use that will view a webpage entirely full screen?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Toast Museum posted:

Is purchasing hardware an option? If your use case involves manually scanning a bunch of QR/barcodes one after another, I'd look into getting a purpose-built barcode scanner. All the ones I've used can insert a carriage return after each code, so you don't have to manually select the next row between scans. A workflow involving scanning with the tablet's camera is probably going to be slower and more fiddly, and there's a ton of cheap pistol-grip barcode scanners out there. If you've got more of a budget and don't want to carry two things, there are even Android devices specifically intended for inventory scenarios, complete with dedicated built-in barcode scanner.

That latter part is what I'm after, I don't want to have to lug too much poo poo about; something that can collaborate with the tablet so I don't look like a jerk for having suggested it, would be ideal. I'll look into it. I don't think it had occurred to me initially because the idea of a barcode scanner seemed more appropriate for 'working at a supermarket' or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

5er posted:

That latter part is what I'm after, I don't want to have to lug too much poo poo about; something that can collaborate with the tablet so I don't look like a jerk for having suggested it, would be ideal. I'll look into it. I don't think it had occurred to me initially because the idea of a barcode scanner seemed more appropriate for 'working at a supermarket' or something.

I work in healthcare informatics and we implemented scanners at every bedside, for example to scan the patient’s armband and the med being given to both ensure safety as well as inventory management and distribution stuff. It’s super far reaching and no longer the domain of supermarkets. Many of these devices scan QR as well as traditional barcodes.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have a Galaxy Tab A7 using One UI 3.1 and Android 11. I presently only use it for viewing my Unifi cameras - helpfully the Unifi Protect app doesn't allow Live View grids of multiple cameras, only the web version. Running Chrome for this wastes space on the screen with the tab and address bar and I've not found a way to disable this - is there a different, minimal browser I can use that will view a webpage entirely full screen?

Through trial and error it seems that Opera does this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any apps that I can set reminders/tasks that will have persistent notifications until I mark them complete? I use Google assistant but tend to clear the notifications absentmindedly.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.payneservices.LifeReminders&hl=en_CA&gl=US

Old in style, still works. I bought the ad-free version.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Medullah posted:

Are there any apps that I can set reminders/tasks that will have persistent notifications until I mark them complete? I use Google assistant but tend to clear the notifications absentmindedly.

Won't Google Keep do this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Medullah posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.isoron.uhabits

Does the job very well

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks guys, I'll check these out. My laundry may actually get done on time for once!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Won't Google Keep do this?

I checked it out and it's definitely better than a standard Assistant reminder.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I absolutely love Keep. I'd love it even more if I was better at remembering to loving use it. God it's SO handy. I hope they don't eventually gently caress it up with a crapload of "features" that no one asked for.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Huh, didn't realize Keep did reminders.

(it's mostly my shopping list and recipes and random notes)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Google Keep is a great utility and I find it weird and worrisome that Google doesn't give it more promotion. I'm constantly afraid Google will get bored and kill it like they have with so many other projects.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Google Keep is a great utility and I find it weird and worrisome that Google doesn't give it more promotion. I'm constantly afraid Google will get bored and kill it like they have with so many other projects.

It's why I stopped using keep to be honest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I use Keep pretty much as just a note taking app, replaced Plain.txt for me years ago. I didn't dig into any additional functionality.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
not sure if this is the right thread but maybe: this is a question about how the Signal app (android) handles 'reactions' to texts.

in most texting apps you can react to a message like 'heart' react, like, smile, laugh, angry, whatever

in Signal when someone does this it just sends you a text: [contact] [reaction]'d [message]. its a longass text. 

is there a way to make Signal behave 'normally' instead of having these weird text description reacts?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
reactions aren't part of the sms standard. each app has to have their own way of handling them. my guess is the person you are texting has an iphone and doesn't use signal

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Are there any good options to customise the lock screen these days? The stock settings seem to be show notifications or not (or private). I don't want to look at sharp-cornered 100% opaque rectangles of every single notification on my lock screen. I liked UCCW back in the day but I don't have the energy for that level of customisation anymore.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anybody know if you can disable google Messages app's YouTube autoplay? The recently added preview integration thing?

I used to have YouTube app disabled on my Galaxy S10E, since I prefer opening those links in Firefox with ad block. Now when I look at a group text in Messages, it pops up an alert that says the app needs YouTube enabled to function. So I turned it on, but seeing videos playing in there automatically is annoying.

Is there a way? The automatic previews settings in the messages app and the autoplay setting on the YouTube app don't have an effect on it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 8, 2022

5er
Jun 1, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

I work in healthcare informatics and we implemented scanners at every bedside, for example to scan the patient’s armband and the med being given to both ensure safety as well as inventory management and distribution stuff. It’s super far reaching and no longer the domain of supermarkets. Many of these devices scan QR as well as traditional barcodes.

Toast Museum too; are there scanners you advocate? I appreciate the recommendations so far!

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I dropped using Trello to just using Keep and a basic colouring and labelling system.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Best time tracking app? I'd like to track how much time I spend doing certain things (ie, practicing a skill, or wasting time watching Youtube) and having an app that I can just set up bunch of tasks/events (maybe categorised into things like Work, Hobbies, etc) and just be able to slam a start + stop widget for each thing as I'm doing it would be nice. Bonus points if it's something I can share across my phone and desktop to reduce the resistance to using it. I don't mind throwing some Google bucks at it, I stopped answering those surveys a long time ago but I've still got some cash to burn in it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Aaronicon posted:

Best time tracking app? I'd like to track how much time I spend doing certain things (ie, practicing a skill, or wasting time watching Youtube) and having an app that I can just set up bunch of tasks/events (maybe categorised into things like Work, Hobbies, etc) and just be able to slam a start + stop widget for each thing as I'm doing it would be nice. Bonus points if it's something I can share across my phone and desktop to reduce the resistance to using it. I don't mind throwing some Google bucks at it, I stopped answering those surveys a long time ago but I've still got some cash to burn in it.

One I like is called aTimeLogger. Has those start and stop buttons, can keep a few on the notifications area as well, etc. It has widgets but I haven't used those myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Toggl was good for me. Fully cross platform and the free version wasn't missing anything I needed. It's more of a business app but easy to use however you want.