Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You could probably use a nail clipper as a WiFi or Bluetooth antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Nitrousoxide posted:

You could probably use a nail clipper as a WiFi or Bluetooth antenna.

Yeah but that function is locked behind a $2.99 a month extra charge.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Just wondering, does anyone know of a good *off-line* password manager app other than KeePass and its clones? One where you don't even need an account let alone a subscription to use. And ideally on more than one platform?

I am using BlackBerry Password Safe which is fine but I'd like to see what else is out there. Google isn't much help: it brings up apps which aren't truly off-line (i.e. Bitwarden which you can use off-line in view mode but you need a subscription and the actual entries are hosted online) and Reddit posts asking the same thing and being told that it's a fool's errand because you're taking on the security risk yourself and your phone is more likely to be stolen then breached than companies like LastPass and Dashlane are to be hacked (which I don't know is actually true and ignores other shortfalls).

Since the lists don't even mention BB Password Safe I'm presuming there might be quite a lot of options that fly under the radar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bright Bart posted:

Just wondering, does anyone know of a good *off-line* password manager app other than KeePass and its clones? One where you don't even need an account let alone a subscription to use. And ideally on more than one platform?

I am using BlackBerry Password Safe which is fine but I'd like to see what else is out there. Google isn't much help: it brings up apps which aren't truly off-line (i.e. Bitwarden which you can use off-line in view mode but you need a subscription and the actual entries are hosted online) and Reddit posts asking the same thing and being told that it's a fool's errand because you're taking on the security risk yourself and your phone is more likely to be stolen then breached than companies like LastPass and Dashlane are to be hacked (which I don't know is actually true and ignores other shortfalls).

Since the lists don't even mention BB Password Safe I'm presuming there might be quite a lot of options that fly under the radar.

I'm not aware of anything that exactly fits your criteria, but it's worth noting that you can self-host Bitwarden if you're so inclined. That doesn't require a subscription. I also think BW has a free tier, or at least it did when I started using it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's keepass which is open source and has optional syncing through a cloud drive like google drive.
One implementation:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keepass2android

There's Master Password which has by default generates the passwords it uses from the seed of your master password + username + site name. Though in this mode you don't have the ability to tweak the format of the passwords it generates if the site has unique limitations. It can do those tweaks but then its no longer just a stateless password gen and has a database you would need to back up.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.devland.masterpassword

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bright Bart posted:

I'm a huge fan of password store. Not sure what the windows / iOS usage is like but Linux, OSX and Android are workable. I just use command line stuff but GUI probably exist to fit it and you can easily share your passwords via a git repository. It's a bit techy though so if you want super simple setup then maybe it's not for you. Sharing secret keys between devices is the hardest part so if that doesn't put you off then you're golden.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Peteyfoot posted:

I'd like to set up a simple internet radio streaming app for an older friend who struggles with technology. I only plan to plug in four stations for them to rotate through.
Transistor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

more likely to be stolen then breached than companies like LastPass

That's quite the hot take from the reddit crowd.

Yeah I believe bitwarden self-hosted is what you're looking for here. That with owncloud or syncthing gets you going.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Thanks for those! I'm surprised there aren't more options that fit exactly what I'm looking for. But that's pretty much the case for basically all apps.

One more though:

How do I see the recent/still open apps in Samsung UI? What I mean by this is that I open up my browser, start surfing, realize I have to look at my calendar o I swipe up and open that up, but when I'm done I want to see the browser again? Do I have to just go back into the locker and click the icon again? What if I want to see what apps are still running and close them to spare RAM?

This wasn't an issue because I was running a different loader that has keys at the bottom the the screen but it's been buggy.

Oh and screw YouTube videos that purport to show you how to do something on Android/Samsung/whatever and halfway through the instructions are 'Install this app [that sponsors me and might be malware at worst and at best still costs $2.99] even though there is an easy way to do it with the stock OS I know and just won't tell you about'.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bringing this over from the other Android thread, since this might be a better place for it:

disaster pastor posted:

I'm kind of at my wits' end trying to figure out an issue with some SMS messages and I'd appreciate any help.

I've gone from a Galaxy S10+ to an S22 to now an S24+. I've discovered that some inbound SMS/MMS did not get transferred to my S24+ by Smart Switch or SMS Backup and Restore. After further digging, I know this much: it's every inbound SMS from my time on the S10+ (which has unfortunately been traded in already), it's only the inbound because I can see my replies, Google Messages does not see them on the S22, SMS Backup and Restore and SMS Import / Export likewise do not capture them (searching the XML/JSON files for a known phrase returns no results), but if I switch back to Textra on the S22, which I used until only a few months ago, I do see them in there. I've installed Textra on the S24+, but it doesn't pull them up, so it's not that they've been transferred but are still invisible to Messages.

I don't understand why Textra can see them on the S22 but the other apps can't. I tried clearing cache and data for Messages, but that didn't work. I have to think that if Textra can see them, they must be accessible somehow and there's a way to transfer them, but I don't have any other ideas.

I'd shrug and move on, text messages aren't meant to be permanent, except that some of those messages have major sentimental value to me and I'd like to be able to pull them up without digging out my old phone. Any ideas are appreciated!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

How do I see the recent/still open apps in Samsung UI? What I mean by this is that I open up my browser, start surfing, realize I have to look at my calendar o I swipe up and open that up, but when I'm done I want to see the browser again? Do I have to just go back into the locker and click the icon again? What if I want to see what apps are still running and close them to spare RAM?

This wasn't an issue because I was running a different loader that has keys at the bottom the the screen but it's been buggy.

Assuming you have an S24-series, the swipe mechanics on that one are the default: swiping up from the bottom and holding for a second will bring up your open apps. (If you've installed Good Lock and NavStar, you can reinstate the Samsung swipe mechanics, which are just "swipe up where that button would be.")

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

That looks perfect for my use-case! Thank you!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

disaster pastor posted:

Assuming you have an S24-series, the swipe mechanics on that one are the default: swiping up from the bottom and holding for a second will bring up your open apps. (If you've installed Good Lock and NavStar, you can reinstate the Samsung swipe mechanics, which are just "swipe up where that button would be.")

Thank you. So simple but I wouldn't stumble on it myself. Hey

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there anything easy that will keep the screen on while certain apps are focused? I don't feel like setting up Tasker. I'm just trying to let Solid Explorer finish transfers without the device sleeping. I installed Caffeine, so I'm fine to just toggle it. It's on my Samsung tablet, but I can't make heads or tails of the modes and it's insane how reading mode isn't in the Modes section. Edit: Oh, Modes and Routines are different? Okay.

Edit: I made a mode for when Solid Explorer is open to make it landscape, but toggling Caffeine just crashes things, which isn't ideal. Routines don't offer the option, either, just a 10 minute screen timeout, which would probably be fine most of the time. Just got annoyed trying to move files from internal to an SD card yesterday.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 15, 2024

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Echophonic posted:

Is there anything easy that will keep the screen on while certain apps are focused? I don't feel like setting up Tasker. I'm just trying to let Solid Explorer finish transfers without the device sleeping. I installed Caffeine, so I'm fine to just toggle it. It's on my Samsung tablet, but I can't make heads or tails of the modes and it's insane how reading mode isn't in the Modes section. Edit: Oh, Modes and Routines are different? Okay.

Edit: I made a mode for when Solid Explorer is open to make it landscape, but toggling Caffeine just crashes things, which isn't ideal. Routines don't offer the option, either, just a 10 minute screen timeout, which would probably be fine most of the time. Just got annoyed trying to move files from internal to an SD card yesterday.

I'm surprised that most OSes don't have a quick setting for keeping the display on.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I don't get it, either. Making a routine that makes it landscape and sets a 10 minute screen time while SE is open should do 95% of what I want. Not gonna be doing hour long transfers very often.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

There's a setting in developer options where it'll keep the phone awake when charging. Don't know if that fits

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Does Solid Explorer really stop transfers if the screen is off? :psyduck:

You could try Total Commander instead, that one definitely transfers stuff in the background

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tamba posted:

Does Solid Explorer really stop transfers if the screen is off? :psyduck:

You could try Total Commander instead, that one definitely transfers stuff in the background

It throws up a notification if you close the app, so you'd think it would work, but it seems like something's killing them.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I honestly got so annoyed with Solid Explorer killing itself when I was trying to download and backup all my homemade audiobooks through FTP so I could reorganize the files and put them back on my phone, that I wound up going with SyncThing instead.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Echophonic posted:

It throws up a notification if you close the app, so you'd think it would work, but it seems like something's killing them.

Try this, there might be a way to tell your phone to stop killing that app
https://dontkillmyapp.com/

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I've just installed two banking apps on my Tab s9 from two major banks and both always open in portrait mode.

Very annoying when I have the keyboard attached.

Is this just lovely app design or is there some potential reason for this? Anyway to force landscape in apps?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

lovely app design.

Search for Labs in settings, it allows you to force aspect ratios.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nowher posted:

I've just installed two banking apps on my Tab s9 from two major banks and both always open in portrait mode.

Very annoying when I have the keyboard attached.

Is this just lovely app design or is there some potential reason for this? Anyway to force landscape in apps?

You can kind of fudge it in DeX by unmaximizing them. They'll still be phone ratio portrait, but usable.

And yeah, lazy design.

For all squarespace talks about mobile and responsive designs, their app is the same way.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My bank (HSBC) has I think the worst app experience and design I've ever seen outside of the United Airlines app. Maybe it's a bank thing, they know they don't have to spend a lot on it because pretty much nobody will change banks based on the app being bad.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My banks apps have gotten much better than they used to be, downright functional. Never used them on a tablet though. I try to just never use tablets, when I do have to use one I use the website which is made to work on something that size and shape.

Fill out those nps surveys. Not the Google review stuff.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

bull3964 posted:

lovely app design.

Search for Labs in settings, it allows you to force aspect ratios.

Thanks for this...not the most elegant solution but it definitely helps.

Somewhat surprised by the amount of popular apps which don't have landscape support for tablets.

toothdevil
May 14, 2023
Are there any good apps that allow me to control my phone through windows using a PC? (I tried microsoft's phone link thing and it wouldn't allow me to use computer audio for voice calls) I have no idea what to trust on the Play store.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I use kdeconnect, it works surprisingly well on windows. But I don't think it allows you to use computer audio for voice calls even on kde.

I also use droidcamx to use phone video and audio like a webcam.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

toothdevil posted:

Are there any good apps that allow me to control my phone through windows using a PC? (I tried microsoft's phone link thing and it wouldn't allow me to use computer audio for voice calls) I have no idea what to trust on the Play store.

You can do it even without an app installed on the phone, here's an open source project that does it via ADB installed on your computer. Just needs you to enable USB debugging.
https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy/tree/master.
It mirrors the entire android screen to a window on your PC and you can interact with it just like you would on the phone itself by clicking in the window to send taps.

Audio works for playing music at least but I didn't test making any phonecalls.

Downside is it's a CLI tool but you can just make a .bat file to launch it instead of going through the console every time.
It even works wirelessly, but you have to either start with the device plugged in via usb or know the android's IP address on your local wifi to be able to connect. (Which probably means setting it up as a static IP in your router so it doesn't get a different address each time you come home and re-connect to the network)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 26, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If it's just calls you want to take on your PC instead of your phone you could always set up forwarding to a Google Voice number too

toothdevil
May 14, 2023

Medullah posted:

If it's just calls you want to take on your PC instead of your phone you could always set up forwarding to a Google Voice number too

Ah I forgot about that, good idea.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can do it even without an app installed on the phone, here's an open source project that does it via ADB installed on your computer. Just needs you to enable USB debugging.
https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy/tree/master.
It mirrors the entire android screen to a window on your PC and you can interact with it just like you would on the phone itself by clicking in the window to send taps.

Audio works for playing music at least but I didn't test making any phonecalls.

Downside is it's a CLI tool but you can just make a .bat file to launch it instead of going through the console every time.
It even works wirelessly, but you have to either start with the device plugged in via usb or know the android's IP address on your local wifi to be able to connect. (Which probably means setting it up as a static IP in your router so it doesn't get a different address each time you come home and re-connect to the network)

Oh perfect this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I really wish Google would quit loving with the driving mode apps. First it was phone Auto and now all the app integrations with Maps driving mode are gone. Just insane, I assume it's to force you to use Assistant to do poo poo like play music, but Assistant is dumb as poo poo and can't even send a text half the time. Like, really, I have no idea who actually tests this stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Echophonic posted:

I really wish Google would quit loving with the driving mode apps. First it was phone Auto and now all the app integrations with Maps driving mode are gone. Just insane, I assume it's to force you to use Assistant to do poo poo like play music, but Assistant is dumb as poo poo and can't even send a text half the time. Like, really, I have no idea who actually tests this stuff.

You are. We are all Google beta testers at all times

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I was about to flip out a few months because I had to get to a doctor's appointment at an office I'd never been and I couldn't get Google Maps to go into driving mode. I finally went to the Play Store to see if I'd been Google'd, and I figured out I had to install "Maps Go."

This is all so much easier and better than just having everything in the Android Auto phone app.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Medullah posted:

You are. We are all Google beta testers at all times
Fair enough, I know I've just been Scroogled again.

Quixzlizx posted:

I was about to flip out a few months because I had to get to a doctor's appointment at an office I'd never been and I couldn't get Google Maps to go into driving mode. I finally went to the Play Store to see if I'd been Google'd, and I figured out I had to install "Maps Go."

This is all so much easier and better than just having everything in the Android Auto phone app.

Honestly? I kinda liked Maps driving mode and the Spotify integration was why. If I was just using maps for travel time and congestion, having something roughly equivalent to Spotify's mediocre-rear end car mode was nice.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Anyone have a good simple timer app where the first thing you see when you open it is just a number pad? I'm annoyed with the default clock/timer app on my pixel which has some overcomplicated system where instead of just typing in the time and hitting go you create like... persistent timer objects that hang around on screen the next time you run it and if you want to type in a custom time instead of reusing the last few timers you have to open a sub menu and make a new one.

Micro Timer seems almost perfect except for the bizarre choice that the timers don't ring at all when they go off and are locked to vibration only.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hi guys. Another question. If anyone is familiar with FB Messenger (latest app version, latest Android version), can I mut a group chat but recieve notifications if someone replies to me? Facebook has instructions: mute messages but unmute replies.

This isn't working. If I set nothing chat to mute I get all notifications. If I set all options to mute I get zero notifications. If I set it as FB recommends I also get zero. Now this particular group chat is often filed with social conversation but sometimes I need to ask something and be notified as soon as possible of a reply.

I wonder if someone has to @ you for it to count as a reply. Before I clear data, clear cache and uninstall & reinstall the app I'm going to ask here.

Because I can totally see Meta removing this option for the most stuuupid reasons: e.g. 'We want people to engage with our app as much as possible.' Or 'Everyone would mute messages and that's anti-social.'

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

"Almost perfect"? lol. Sounds like it barely does half of what you want to the point of setting for one that does but needs to be cleaned.

I looked fand can't find much that has everything I expect you're looking for on the Play Store. Some well reviewed apps on F-Droid.

Also I sure share your frustration. I'm okay with stock timer on my Samsung. But the calculator app and others I've found. It remembering what you've done so far even if you fully edit the app or reset the phone, but also inne things like not bringing up the calv right away but a 'Your most frequent calculations page' you can't turn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
This should be in the base Android thread actually.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 4, 2024