Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Pocket, for saving articles to read later. They also have a recommendations tab now, too, though it doesn't seem personalized.

SMS Backup+, will save all SMS/MMS to your gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Just navigation I guess. Don't need anything fancy other than I'd like to customize the route.

Google maps? Waze? Here? These have been good apps for years now.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there an app that will lock the screen to the current app that's loaded? Here's my use case:

I give my kid my phone to look at pictures. She loves looking at pictures, but isn't so good with swiping. She'll hit the home button, recents button, etc. I'd like something that would lock her into that app, locking her out of notifications and all the on-screen buttons.

Does such a thing exist?

Android has a native solution to this called screen pinning.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'd love to know this. I prefer Nova, and didn't mind swiping up from the home button, but now Marshmallow adds that stupid Now On Tap which makes it one more button press to go to Google Now.

You can disable Now on Tap.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Defenestration posted:

I will be more specific: I would like a language app that actually requires me to learn word lists and conjugations rather than game a multiple choice test for brownie points. I'd like more I have to type in the answer rather than which of these four words most looks like the latin root ok I'll pick that.

I am not currently taking a class because they are expensive and I am just interested in gaining a few hundred words for tourism purposes.

FWIW, language acquisition usually doesn't work through memorizing lists and conjugations, which is why you won't really see that in some programs like Pimsleur. Children don't usually learn language this way after all.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

kri kri posted:

Are there any decent alternatives to Field Trip? Looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year.

I think they're working on some type of replacement, but it's invite-only testing at the moment.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Duo, in and of itself, is "perfect" to me in terms of what is required of an app. Very simple, high quality, cross-platform, and does one thing perfectly.

I'd be very psyched if it came out in 2012.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
If Allo nails texting in the way that Duo nails video conferencing, then I don't give a gently caress about Hangouts anymore. But...I doubt that.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Installed Allo this morning. It does have SMS, and it does tie into your google account. That said, I sent a sticker to my iPhone-using wife. She was prompted to download Allo.

She says, "What is Ollo?"
"Oh it's some new messaging service."
"Uggggh I hate that I have to have 30 loving apps to communicate!!"

So as you can imagine, Allo will be a runaway success.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The way I'd do it is essentially the way bull outlined as it's the best technical route to doing so and the pieces are quite literally already in place. I'd present the user with two options, either having end to end encryption and forgoing Google Assistant, or turning off encryption and enabling Google Assistant. The database would be replicated in your Google account for restoring to new devices and searching the chatlogs and as bull correctly notes it would work seamlessly with existing third party messaging clients that already have to use the SMS store on the device. There is really not a technical hurdle at all at any level, it's purely due to Google's desire to have the data.

What if I want encryption, but my friend doesn't -- aren't we in a situation where google now scans our conversation thread anyway?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Acorn takes small amounts from approved cards/accounts every time you make a transaction. This is helpful for me, as I don't currently have much spare money. They also allow you to set your investment profile in terms of how risky you want it, and it automatically chooses stocks accordingly. So for me, I chose the most conservative route and look at it as forced savings, with a tiny return.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

THF13 posted:

Acorns is dumb because it's extremely simple to setup an automatic monthly transfer to a brokerage with lower fees

I guess? It took me like 10 minutes to sign up for Acorns. I wouldn't even know where to look as far as a brokerage. I'm obviously not much of an investor.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

THF13 posted:

I don't want to go off on an investment derail, but we have a Long Term investment/Retirement thread as well as a newbie personal finance thread that are worth a look.

Thanks, I will probably look at those later on.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

baka kaba posted:

It uses insane amounts of space on the device though. Your < 100MB books unfurl into into several gigabytes for some reason, I have no clue why. Prerendering pages or something? I have a few books in PDF format, under 10MB each, taking up almost 2GB on my 16GB phone. Thanks google!

You can clear the data locally, but of course you'll have to reload your books when you want to read them.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I started messing around with ad blockers. I don't root my phone.

Adguard worked fine, and it has a paid feature that claims to remove ads in apps.
Block this! is open source, but the design and the broken English gave me malware vibes, though in fact I'm sure it's fine.
DNS66 is what I've settled on. Supposedly it will use less battery because it blocks at the DNS level (I don't know enough about these things to know if this is true). It has several known adblock/malware blacklists, it's open source, and has a simple design.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I complained about this earlier in the thread I think. I was in Japan, and like once a loving day my compass (5X) is randomly pointing in the wrong direction. Sometimes I noticed right away, sometimes I didn't; sometimes "calibrating" helped, sometimes it didn't. So occasionally I'm walking an entire block in the wrong direction, swinging my loving idiot phone around.

Meanwhile my wife's iPhone 5S is almost completely broken, but there is no calibrating the compass, which always seems to point in the right direction.

Fortunately my Pixel seems way better, and has yet to ask me to calibrate the compass. The compass issue was making me consider the iPhone, which I don't particularly like otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

My GMail app has stopped loading images / attachments on my Pixel XL. Anyone else gotten this recently? Seems to have happened after the May patch.

I'm also running DNS66, but I turned it off and that didn't help.

It is 100% DNS66 because I use it too. You have to pause it or turn it off, then try re-downloading attachments; should work with 1-2 tries.