Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I learned something about myself today: It is important to me that the keys on my keyboard have symbol of the key it is meant to produce when pressed. For example, the spacebar should have an image of a space, either through the use of negative space or through a simple long dash to represent and empty space. One thing it should never have is other words or letters on it, especially not an advertisement for a brand or company. Updated my Moto X4 today and gboard added an ad to the spacebar. Can't handle it.

Trying out the ones in the OP but Swiftkey also puts an ad for themselves on the keyboard (and it looked like they shrunk the keys but might just be a thing I'd adjust to)

Looked at Fleksy but it said it has ads and no thanks to ads on a keyboard. I'm a tapper so didn't check the swipey one.

Hilariously, Minuum seems to have the most normal keyboard so far, at least until you accidentally activate one of it's weird modes of their one-row keyboard thing. No ad on keyboard at least.

Browsing the app store it looks like keyboards are a hellscape. I assume a lot of these are just trying to lure in goobers with emojis and and all that poo poo so they can harvest data?

Found one called Typewise that touts being pretty private, but it's got some whacky gimmicks too, like no delete button and some bizarre hexagon thing they invented. Costs 79 cents a month or 26 bucks for a lifetime license. What is a normal price for a phone keyboard app? Definitely not interested in a subscription fee in any case.

Any recommendations for this wishlist:
1) A blank spacebar.
2) No "learning curve" gimmicks
3) No ads or IAP but like I'll buy it for a normal one time price
4) idk dude feel like just want a "regular" dang keyboard, right? this is already ten times more thought and testing than i ever wanted to do for a keyboard

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This is what I'm talking about.

Using a keyboard called "Simple Keyboard" right now instead. Seems fine, it acts like a keyboard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sure, but like, at the same time not sure how I would even check besides checking to see if anyone else already exposed it? Gboard is Google so I would assume they're peepin no matter my best efforts, Swiftkey also seemed like they were looking to "learn" you and were pushing for an account and all that.

The Simple Keyboard App says it's open source and doesn't seem to use many permissions but anything could say open source. There's supposedly a link but I haven't really read a line of code since high school and any github directory looks about the same to me.

I'm definitely open to recommendations of a good clean keyboard app. Assuming this Simple Keyboard isn't spying on me, it doesn't have an emoji button at all which will probably be fine 99.99% of the time but sometimes I like to reply to weird group family text forwards with an emoji instead of lying about praying for a baby or whatever.

What about "Open Board?"

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 10, 2020