Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The google+ app on my Nexus 5 won't open, it just sits at the logo screen with a big G+ in a red circle. How can i make this work?

e: I opened it through a notification that someone had posted to a group i'm following. I just noticed that if I hit the button to go to task switcher, I see it show the content of the post for a split second as it is shrinking down to the switcher card or whatever, but then goes back to the G+ logo screen.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Have you tried clearing the apps cache? Seems to clear these types of problems up a lot.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

There was a fairly large update to G+ over the past few weeks that's had some non Play Store stuff pushed at the back end too. I wouldn't uninstall updates but I would clear it's data and cache.

yeah this did it, thanks

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hi, does anyone know of a stopwatch app that will count for days if needed? I currently have "Stopwatch & Timer" by Jupiter apps, but it seems to just roll over after 10hrs or something.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a way that I can use one android device as a wireless(WIFI) controller input for another?

I have an android phone, and a little ARM based pi-like board (PINE64) running android, intended as a media center / HTPC. I think the phone would make a nice controller for this, if i could type things into the onscreen keyboard on the phone, and they would come up on the media center as if typed via a plugged in keyboard. And also using the touchscreen to move a mouse cursor on the other device?
I don't want to screencast from the phone, in case anyone is thinking that.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

kri kri posted:

What software will you be running? If you run openelec you can just use the Kore kodi app to accomplish this, I think.
I'm running remixOS right now, which is an Android distro that is mean to act like a desktop. I was just hoping for some way use the phone as a general purpose input, for web browsing, youtube, etc.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Wow, I'm surprised development on that app was resurrected after being dead for 4 years or so.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What app do peeps recommend so I can unzip a file?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Long time Pandora user, recently decided to give Google Play music a try.

I started just listening to the suggested playlists, but they are all incredibly unbearable and I run out of skips immediately. Do they get better after listening for a while, up/downvoting, etc? Or is it best to just always ignore them and search for specific bands/songs.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Been giving Google Play Music a try for the past week or so. I managed to get it to play some songs that don't make me want to tear my ears off, but the interface feels so clunky, unresponsive, requires way too many taps to do simple things. For example, can't vote up/down on a song from the lock screen.

I've also found the connection to be absurdly unreliable, I mainly use it in my car during commute and it seems to get through 3 or 4 songs before giving up, just going silent. I have to unlock the phone, open the app, click play, wait 10 seconds or so, can't tell if its doing anything or not, click play again, oh, it looks like it might be loading a song now? Ok the light is green again, drop the phone and continue driving... and its still not playing... wait for the next stoplight to gently caress with it again.... The whole time my signal is showing like 75% LTE connectivity, I'm driving around in a major city, not the bermuda triangle.

I really was hoping it would be good because I think I read that its supposed to have a much larger library of content than Pandora, but the user experience is abysmal in comparison.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Thermopyle posted:

Interesting, you're describing my experience with Pandora except saying it's GPM.
I'm not gonna say that Pandora never loses connection, but its about 1/10th the frequency compared to GPM, if not less.

Oh yeah, the other lovely thing is when you go to look at the app to see why it stopped playing, it tries to trick you into thinking you are in power saving mode, with the same color theme.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Any waze users know what triggers it interrupt driving directions randomly and say "how can i help you" and overlay a microphone and no amount of screaming to gently caress off will make it go away?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

iluvpr0n posted:

Voice Commands. I had them turned off for a long time, but recently figured I'd check the box and see what happens. It hasn't done anything good for me, so you just reminded me to shut it off too.

You can tap the microphone icon to make it go away. Or you can go to Settings ==> Voice commands
Hrm, yeah. Voice commands honestly seem like a good idea for a driving navigation app, but the times it happened to me, I wasn't touching the phone at all, it was sitting in my passenger seat(still need to get a phone mount for this car). I guess it falsely detected waving at it to activate, i'm gonna try the 3 finger tap only to activate, though I'll probably forget to ever use it. Wish I could set it to respond to "OK Waze", or something like that, that wouldn't involve hands.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there no way to collapse quoted parts of emails in a really long conversation thread? It makes it impossible to follow the order of the conversation. This is in the regular "Gmail" app that came with the nexus 5x (however its connected to a MS exchange account also)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is it possible to create an alarm from google calendar? I'm sick of this thing loving me over. A 1/2 second duration notification sound is apparently not enough to wake me up for important doctor's appointment, and I don't see any way to make it an alarm. I need event reminders to effectively remind me; whatever the gently caress calendar is doing is not working.

Is there something that I can do so that it forces me to acknowledge the thing before going silent?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

How do I make an alarm for a specific day/time in the future?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I googled a bit and found other discussions of this issue on some other forums, one post they mentioned an app called Life Reminders which seems to be able to do what I want.

There's a setting in the app for "insistent notification sound", so it won't stop until you dismiss it. I did a few test events and I'm pretty convinced this is going to do exactly what I want.
Its free w/ ads and there's a $4 "donate" version that is presumably ad-free, which I will probably get after a little more usage.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Gozinbulx posted:

I can't seem to find the answer for this. How in the world do I disable the feature where phone calls that come into my pixel on Project Fi start ringing on my open gmail window? Its super annoying.
I was super annoyed by the same thing. You have to "disable hangouts integration" which is not actually referred to by that phrase anywhere in the settings.
1. Open Hangouts
2. tap the top left menu icon
3. tap Settings
4. tap the account your project fi is on
5. Under "Project Fi calls and SMS" make sure the "Messages" toggle is turned OFF

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 22, 2017

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A little while ago I asked in here about setting alarms on a calendar.

1. Google's has an alarms app that can only be set the day of
2. Google calendar can set reminders any day in the future, but it makes a notification sound only audible for 1 sec so if you don't hear it or check your phone for a few hours, you are SOL

I want a thing that can set reminders days/weeks/months in advance and when it goes off, it make noise until I tap it to stop, so that I don't miss super important events.

Back when I originally asked, I had found an application called Life Reminders that did mostly what I wanted. However after using it for a bit, I'm started running into issues and I'm wondering if there's any better alternatives. The interface is a little clunky, like sometimes I try to swipe to scroll up or down and it instead just selects a random drop down on the interface and sets it to some other value. That and the last couple times I've had a reminder, it kept re-appearing instantly and alarm going off over and over when I tried to mark it done. I don't know why it wouldn't let me clear the alarms but its super frustrating and I don't think I can deal with this app anymore.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there an android app to automatically submit FCC complaint for do not call registry violations? I am getting more and more spam calls lately and its driving me insane. Is the FCC capable of even enforcing this poo poo in any way?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a camera app for Nexus 5X that can time the flash to coincide with the shutter?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Thermopyle posted:

It's funny that this is a thing. (happens on the 6P too)

Why is google so bad at cameras?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Why do so many apps show up as using ram when I look android settings -> "memory". I know I haven't run some of them in months, and have updated and rebooted the phone many times in between. Is there any way to prevent some apps from auto loading in the background? (aside from completely uninstalling them).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Tunga posted:

Because the OS understands memory management better than you do. What actual problem is this causing?
The actual problem is that I can't switch between a game and a browser without it having to completely reload the game. As soon as the browser loads a page, I'm out of RAM and it unloads the game.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Blue Train posted:

That or the phone is lovely

E: or the website is just bad like the verge
The phone is a 5X, which claims to have 1.8GB in the memory settings. The game uses about 250MB of that. Also its not that I'm losing game progress, I'm just tired of watching the loading screen after a quick task switch.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Incessant Excess posted:

My 5X also frequently closes apps when switching between them, I guess 2GB is just not a lot of RAM in 2017. :shrug:
I wonder how much updates have bloated android over the years. LIke how much more RAM the base OS uses compared to when the 5X was originally released. Feels like planned obsolescence via software RAM bloat.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a way to disable part of the touchscreen (a rectangular area that is a subset of the whole screen) temporarily or while a particular app is in foreground? Or like create a small dead-zone strip along the left/right edges of the screen?

I keep unintentionally activating presses on the edge of the screen from holding my 5X wrong.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there an augmented reality Android app that overlays translation of text in real time? I thought this was the promise of "goggles" from the beginning, but whenever I try it, it ends up being a waste of time.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

LastInLine posted:

My wife wants to know what everyone uses for tracking water consumption. I found a few that look okay but I'm sure people here already know the best ones.
my water utilities show that info on the bill every month

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hi I'm starting to get back into mtn. biking and I installed google fit to track my miles etc.

Just curious if there's any way to increase accuracy or something, because it seems to sample position very roughly or infrequently and cuts huge corners out of my path when I look at the recorded data.

Also it seems like it is very delayed, like it records half of a bike ride during a ride, and then take like 1hr after the end of a ride before it fill in the rest. Is there any way to give it a hint when a ride is over, or maybe just a more accurate app specifically for biking?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Cool, thanks everyone. I'll give Strava a try on my next ride.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Strava trip report: Wow its like my phone has a functioning GPS sensor! Very cool.

Also its neat that it even tells the name of specific trails and segments in parks. Apparently I rode on a segment of trail called Panty-Puncher's Demise, so that sure is something.

Edit: I should mention I also futzed around in "GPS Status" app and made sure to download A-GPS data, and also turned OFF "GPS filtering" (not sure if that affects apps system-wide).
Because I just looked at Google Fit and it appears to be pretty accurate now too, so maybe it was just the GPS settings and not so much Strava vs Google Fit accruracy. (Or possibly Strava forced Google Fit to have higher update rate?) Anyways the point is it seems to be working pretty well now.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

LifeLynx posted:

I just tried Google's app on my phone and it's great, but I don't see a way to ping her phone from my phone.

As for why, she has a six year old, so getting ready to go out means juggling a million things and she'll forget what room she put her phone in.
If you want to find her phone from your phone can't you just ... call her phone?