Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Great OP. The only thing I'd add is a note in the keyboard section that Google Keyboard usually is not the default keyboard that comes with (non-nexus) phones, and that it is good, not bad like the OEM keyboards.

And a link to Google Keyboard on the play store (not a paid shill for Google, just like GK).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Any recommendations for a speed test app that is the least ad-choked? I'm looking to switch networks and I want to do a side by side test in the places I go most.

Similarly, recommendations that would tell me what tower/band I'm connected to? I'm using cellmapper which seems fine, but I'm open to suggestions.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

alnilam posted:

This seems cool. It would require me paying for a Google Drive upgrade but it might be time for that anyway. Still open to other suggestions.

Also, is there an easy way to view which GPM albums I bought through GPM, so I can download those ones? The rest is all stuff I uploaded from my own mp3 library, which is already pretty well organized.

If you have access to an always on computer, Plex or Subsonic can host your own library.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

What's the go to as close to stock launcher as possible? I really like the default launcher, but the fact that my 4a 5g can have the same amount of app icons as my non-XL pixel 2 is absurd and might be the thing that pushes me over to a custom one. I assume there isn't a way to do this without replacing the launcher.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 21, 2020

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I tried Lawnchair and it seems to do what I want (I'm sure Nova would have too). Thanks!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if I'm just stupid or what, but I cannot figure out how to view photo albums other people have shared with me in Google Photos, other than from the notification when they add a photo to it. Anybody know?

On the phone the only way I could find to do it was search for "Sharing"

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Has anyone else noticed that PocketCasts works strangely with Android 12? It still adds new episodes to my now playing, but it does not move the show to the top of the podcasts screen or put the red badge on the show. It's a fresh install (of PC and Android), so I don't think it is just me, but I dunno.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

100% agree with all of that. We used to use gpay all the time until they hosed it up

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Medullah posted:

My Gboard misses a lot of things. Literally EVERY time I'm trying to type character it thinks I'm putting in charcuterie. Come on Google, you harvest all my data, you know I'm never using that word.

On the contrary, you use that word all the time! Before you type character! AI is the future!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 28, 2022

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Could it be due to RCS on on your 4a 5g and off on the 7? Total speculation

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

smoobles posted:

I'm a former Google Podcasts fan trying to find alternatives...

Podcast Addict isn't downloading new episodes in the background. It's retrieving new episodes in the background, on the interval I set, but just not downloading them.

Turned off battery optimization and all that jazz. Any ideas?

Is there a setting that it waits for WiFi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Any recommendations for an AR app to measure distances that won't sell all my data? Fine with paying a small amount.