Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

beerinator posted:

Edit: Could you buy a google music subscription for yourself and add her via the new "family plan?" Then when she figures out who you really are, you might be able to cancel her part of the account?

This got so delightfully dark in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Tunga posted:

You probably already know this but just try to teach him to slow the gently caress down and look at what he is doing.

Truth in this post. I have spent years getting my FIL to calm the gently caress down when I'm giving him instructions because he's a mad clicker.

quote:

Ok, click start

18 clicks in the background.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

YouTube Red made it 1000% worth it. I used it plenty for my commute before, but now it's even better.

My kids watch a metric fuckton of YouTube and always want to do it on the XBox, because of the big TV. Now that Red is included, I don't have to deal with a pre-roll ad every time they change to a new video (I know it's not EVERY time, but it's enough to be annoying as gently caress).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

FunOne posted:

Anyone else just get emails about cards in Android Pay being removed? Nothing looks changed when I open the app, but I got emails from both BofA and Amex about my cards being removed.

I got a new debit card from my CU recently. When I tried to update it in Pay it said my bank doesn't support it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Just looked into this. That's pretty badass. My 2 year old likes to netflix, but is always hitting buttons and then getting pissed off when the movie/show stops.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

docbeard posted:

Already got a Google Play Music/Youtube Red family plan subscription, but yeah, might be worth saving a month of payments that way. (...actually, I'm not sure I can, because with sales tax it comes to slightly more than my balance and I don't know if you can split payment methods.)

I don't know if I'd really miss Youtube Red if it were gone (though ad-free videos are nice), and I doubt I'd pay for it separately, but Google Play Music is well worth the money on its own.

Oh man, the amount of YouTube content my kids consume on my XBOne makes Red 2000%+ worth it. When my oldest forgets and launches YT from his account it's staggering how many (and how lovely they are) ads come in.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Taffer posted:

I never have either. Didn't even know it needed calibrating... I mean, it's a compass.

Its a magnemometer (sp?), not a compass. It senses the magnetic field around the phone and decides which way you're facing from fluctuations in it. Its not a floating magnetized needle sitting in the phone.

Doing the figure 8 pattern (and whatever else you do) runs the sensor through the field around you and helps it figure out where North is.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

maltesh posted:

... every time one of the people who think they own my GMail address signs up for a new service, or gets someone new sending them contracts or resumes or bank statements,

I'm so happy to see I'm not the only person this happens to.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I loving hate the algorithm order. Especially when people are going to events, or trips. I will always get the posts in the wrong order and it drives me nuts. I always use Most Recent.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So, since I loaded up Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite, removing the originals, I haven't gotten the Pixel random screen lock up all weekend.

Not surprised, considering how lovely the fat clients are. Hopefully we'll get an official US release.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I just prefer the stripped down versions because I couldn't give a single gently caress about stories or the curated feed.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Don't computer janitor your phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Moey posted:

How do I use Android?

He said Samsung, not android.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

SwiftKey rules above all (for those who don't swipe to type).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I would pay real money for an Android emulator that worked as a standalone desktop application on my machine and wasn't tied up in a bunch of bullshit bloat (Bluestacks), paid app auto-installs (Nox), and was up to date (both are 5.1.1, I think).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Have a bit of a weird one. Can someone recommend me an app to keep track of things on a week-to-week basis? Basically, I just want to write down what songs I do at karaoke and the date so that I'm not doing the same stuff all the time. I found some simple journaling app (Journal, naturally), but there's got to be something more useful for tracking simple discrete events like that.

Also, I just upgraded from a Nexus 5 (running 4.4.4 because I was too lazy to unroot also I'm an idiot) to a Pixel XL. I switched over to Solid Explorer from RootExplorer and Textra from 8SMS, but some other new hotness recommendations would be nice. Was eyeballing Manual Camera/FV-5 and pitting it against my Canon G9, but the new Camera app seems pretty nice for day-to-day shooting.

I use Signal for SMS along with a lot of people I work with because we're all in IT and paranoid af. It works great, has a dark theme (pro level amoled usage), is end-to-end encrypted between Signal users, and you can even do voice and video calls that maintain that crypto.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm sticking with Timely for the foreseeable future. It works well for me, and I don't want challenges because I can't see for poo poo at the time my alarm goes off. So it would be more frustrating than anything because I'd have to either fumble for my glasses or just fumble through the challenge while my wife gets increasingly pissed off that my alarm is still going off.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

$154 here.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mogomra posted:

I used to get a lot of surveys, then at some point last year or something I started getting all sorts of "which place did you visit recently" surveys where I didn't go to any of the choices*. After a week or so of answering honestly, the surveys dried up. Now I'll get 1-3 a month. That might even be an over estimate.

* There would usually be at least one choice that was like across the street or down the road from where I actually went. I often wonder if I should have just answered with those options to appease the google survey fun bux gods.

tldr: I used to get a lot of surveys like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.

I'm pretty sure that one is used for location tracking verification. "We saw your phone near this address yesterday" type of stuff.

I get them all the time for the place I park for my van pool. I always say yes, and that I didn't make a payment.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Timely works great and looks good, too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Anyone using messages for web with in combination with a secure app (signal, in my case)?

If it works, I wouldn't mind using it that way. Signal even has a desktop version, so I could do both potentially.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I like how Android Messages wants me to respond to "Happy Birthday" texts with "Thanks, you too!" I guess Google's AI is just as awkward as a real CS major. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPING ME WITH THIS, GOOGLE

Maybe Google devs are just really big Brian Regan fans

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Timely is good. It has yet to fail me. I, however, have failed several times. But most of that was when I was first adjusting to my new wake up time.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Annath posted:

I really don't understand the appeal of Signal. I get its got ~encryption~, but good loving luck getting anyone else to switch to it. poo poo, I don't even know anybody who uses Whatsap. Also apparently Signal has some issues with not notifying you of received messages until you actually open the app.

I have some issues with Signal, but for the most part it does everything I need it to. A good portion of the people I text with regularly use it, but that's because we're a bunch of IT and InfoSec nerds who work in the finance sector.

I do like that it does E2E encryption of EVERYTHING and can relay voice and video calls that way.

I'm not a super-paranoid, but it's just one of those warm blanket things.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

JFairfax posted:

I just got a LG G7 and back to using android after a few years on iOS.

is there a simple guide or instructions to installing stock android on this? want rid of the LG apps that came with that I can't delete.

Not without rooting. If you want stock android, your best bet is Pixel or Essential. There are a few others that do minimal fuckery, but there's almost always a few things.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ABS sensors can't detect a different size tire (unless it's one of the 4). But regardless, you'd have to go pretty silly with a tire change to make a speedo underreport anything significant.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a pretty extreme stance on this issue that I'm not gonna be softening up on, having lost a friend to a distracted driver. I'm also deeply opposed to how most new cars seem to have touchscreens, etc. I'll back out of this given my lack of flexibility on this.

This. A friend of mine was killed this weekend by someone running a red, so if you're distracted in any way while on the road, go gently caress yourself forever.

Use voice commands "Hey Google, play this playlist/album/artist/whatever". Keep your attention on the loving road.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm very sorry for your loss, what an awful thing to go through :(

You too, man. Before this weekend, I probably would have brushed off your post as at least a little hyperbolic, but yeah.

I've definitely been hyper-aware of my own level of attention these last few days.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Uthor posted:

BTW, living in an age where turning the car off and on to fix the radio is good and convenient.

In my '16 Malibu, no AA, I had to turn the car off and sit with the door open for 5 minutes to get the head unit to restart so I could clean up bluetooth devices that wouldn't delete.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Uthor posted:

I was running AA on my phone Thursday (no AA in the car) and listening to mp3s through the head unit, but couldn't use the voice controls because it was routing through the Bluetooth (which I couldn't hear because it wasn't the active media source). I turned it off on the phone, but when I turned it back on, Bluetooth wouldn't connect until I restarted the car.

I had it happen before, but that time, I had to reboot the phone.

I also couldn't get my ODB II Bluetooth device to work until I took off my Bluetooth Fitbit.

Just another daily reminder that Bluetooth is a lovely technology.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thunderbird is still around and being worked on. I use it for IMAP through my ProtonMail bridge.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Wasn't the idea of this already done in Letterkenny season 1? The fartbook episode?

To be fairrrrr, they didn't make it an actual app.

Because Glen stole it for his fart-based dating app.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Why do Indonesians need so many phones?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If all you're looking for is non poo poo link opening, then the official app is just fine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Note 10+ and AA on a 2017 Trax, and I don't see this behavior.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm a large man (6'5) and it's ok. Driver's seat is a little narrow, but not uncomfortable. The CUV shape offers plenty of headroom, nearly as much as my beetle did. Just don't expect to be able to use the back seats if anyone in front is larger than below average. Engine can at least get out of its own way, but wouldn't call it anything resembling quick.

But it was dirt cheap and gets decent mileage, so it works.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I just have "English" on mine, v 9.1.8

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

i like tacos posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread. AMdroid rang my 7 am alarm at 3pm yesterday and my phone tries to connect to my cars Bluetooth hours after I've stopped driving

Echoing the response in that thread. Do a factory reset. Something is clearly not normal with your phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CL won't publish an API and squashes any app that tries to do anything with their data, so good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

alnilam posted:

The awful app is really good imo

Truth. It's my primary way to access the forums now.