Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It says right on the Play Store description https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher.prime&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Should work natively inside the Spotify app

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You can install an alternative launcher like Nova then adjust the grid size - the stock that the Google launcher uses is ridiculous on larger devices.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've found the Asus one works fine and looks okay. You don't need an Asus phone to run it just grab it from the store.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'd consider Firefox if they could get scrolling working right, but as it stands it isn't usable for me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah Facebook Messenger is great. I wish Hangouts would implement chat heads on Android like they did for the Chrome extension. That's one of the best things about FBM.

I don't see the appeal of chart heads at all, they just get in the way and provide absolutely no advantage over a proper Android notification. Worse the FB Messenger app randomly decides to turn them back on for me after it updates.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I guess it doesn't seem any faster or more fluid to me than just entering the app via the notification shade then going back to whatever you were doing with the app switcher.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You don't need unlimited data for (essentially) unlimited messaging - it uses very little in the scheme of things.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What do you mean by 'skips photos'? Do you mean it doesn't upload some pictures you take?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

? That's how you calibrate the compass, same as any other phone

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't recall having to ever do it on my 6P but my work iPhone needs it done seemingly every time I try and use it (which admittedly isn't very often)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Don't try and circumvent your work IT security requirements - that's just going to end in tears.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

fishmech posted:

Firefox for Android has full extension support, including uBlock Origin. So you can block things that are on the same domains as things you actually want to get.

Yes but its scrolling behaviour is odd and off-putting.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Oh, hey, Google renamed Messenger to Android Messages for, I can only assume, reasons.

Probably because having Messenger twice in your app drawer is confusing

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I only count one.

At this point I think it's fair to say the majority of Android users have Facebook Messenger installed

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Drawer says "Messages" now...not even the name of the app, "Android Messages."

google.txt

Point is it's no longer exactly the same drawer name as another popular app.

As Lastinline said it isn't like any of their other apps have a consistent naming convention

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

So the 7.1.2 beta for the N6P came through but it doesn't have the fingerprint gesture to pull the notification shade down. First world problems.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Go to photos.google.com on a PC and have a look.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's still in the Play store (for now)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.launcher&hl=en

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

datajosh posted:

It might be one of those scenarios where you can only still see it if you've had it installed before.

I can see it even when not logged into my Google Account

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction of an app that lets me customize what sounds specific apps use to notify you for things? I've done some searching, but no real clear winner.

What app are you wanting to customise? Most apps will let you set the sound in app.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah that's why I said 'in app' not in system settings.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

syscall girl posted:

i'm going to hit you with an iphone over your dumb face forever if you can't see what's wrong here

But exactly the same problem exists on the iPhone. Actually it's even worse because you can't hand off SMS to the Facebook messenger app

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Considering iOS can't even dismiss an upcoming alarm I'm not surprised you're confused.

I like a lot of things about my iPhone but iOS itself and all of the stock apps are infuriating to use when you're used to Android.

Android got notifications right years ago and Apple still can't figure it out to this day. Also would it really kill them to add some kind of onscreen indicator when the phone is on silent? I'm sick of turning my phone around to look at the physical switch.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't see how it could be properly implemented without traffic sign recognition like a lot of modern cars have.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Which will work for normal limits but how about roads that change speed depending on traffic, or construction zones or whatever.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

? I've had it installed on my tablet for ages

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

You can install it directly from the play store now, as opposed to needing to go through Amazon's own AppStore.

I definitely didn’t install the Amazon App Store or sideload it. Perhaps it was a regional thing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

OhFunny posted:

The latest Firefox for Android Beta release makes it look almost exactly like Chrome mobile.

Have they done something about the scrolling? Last time I used it it certainly want consistent with anything else in Android.

Re music chat - I'm in New Zealand so GPM bundles with YouTube Red is worth it but the GPM iOS app is pretty drat awful

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Are there any Android camera apps that do any of the whiz-bang photo modes that are abundant in the stock iOS photo app?

I've often wondered, does Apple hold a bunch of patents that prevents Google from doing cool presets like that in the stock Android camera app? Because if you compare the two it's no contest, iOS offers way more modes out of the box. I have a Pixel, surely its camera is capable of the same portrait modes, etc... at least from a hardware perspective?

Portrait mode iPhone style requires dual cameras so only works on the Plus model iPhones. The new Pixel XL has a single camera mode but I don't know how well it works.

Anyway having had a 7 Plus for six months I can quite safely say the added mode (and it is portrait mode unless you count square as a mode) is a gimmick and I miss the camera from my old N6P.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

1password is great, maybe a bit pricey but worth it IMO

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

incogneato posted:

I have not had this issue. We're in a Toyota, and both using Pixel 3s (no idea if either of those things matter).

I don't have that issue either, Mazda 3 and Galaxy S10

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Maps has a new icon. I hate it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've never had any issues with gboard that weren't caused by iOS limitations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Or you could buy a Samsung phone which still has separate sliders.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

An unpopular opinion but I kind of like Youtube Music - the app performs a lot better than GPM ever did and the recommendations are spot on for me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My Mazda does gracenote for CDs but because it doesn't have any sort of data connection you need to download the database on to a USB stick if you want to update it. I think the dealer did it a couple of times while the car was still under warranty but there is no way I'd make the effort to do so myself.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Google's gonna Google. I've never once seen a messages for web notification across chrome on multiple platforms or ChromeOS.

It's always worked fine for me. I wonder if your issues are down to having a lot of devices on your Google account - seems like something Google would screw up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

They aren't going to get the credentials from my 1PW vault.

They might. No software is perfect and password managers (and in particular the associated extensions that make them so convenient) are hardly an exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I think that's just the risk you have to take if you're going to use a password locker.

One which is easily worked around by storing your 2fa codes outside of the password manager.