Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Require More Fire posted:

So I think I'm going to switch over to BeyondPod from PocketCasts because BP supports paid podcasts, but I don't see a setting for cutting out silences like PocketCasts has. Am I missing it or do they not have such a feature?

PocketCasts supports paid podcasts, I'm following quite a few premium ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the best solution to mirror my SMS messages across my devices? I just got a Nexus 9 and now my old phone mostly just sits across the room charging while I use my tablet for just about everything I used my phone for except reading SMSes, and I don't appear to be able to use Messaging to read them on my tablet.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's a good app for taking down handwritten/drawn notes? Something like Keep but with a bigger canvas would be ideal.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the best way to set up my tablet to connect to my phone and use its data plan for internet? My tablet's wifi only but I'd love to be able to use it reliably on a car trip.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Thermopyle posted:

On all my devices you can just go into wireless settings and turn on tethering which H then gives your tablet a wifi network to connect to.

Of course you might have a poo poo carrier with a poo poo carrier-branded device that blocks this...

yyyep, looks like it's blocked. Any chance of a rooted solution?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's a good weather app, preferably one with radar? I was using the Weather Underground app but the notification frequently stops updating for long periods of time

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's a good tablet IRC client? I'm currently using Yaaic which was okay but it doesn't seem to want to stay connected when it's not the active app, which is really dumb for a chat program. One with a channel changer in a side pane on the screen like mIRC would be preferable

Also, what's a good general source for news about good new apps and games? I didn't realize how little people were exaggerating with how bad discovery is on mobile and I have no idea even how to sift through which blogs are reputable, let alone apps

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Super specific app request: I'm absolute poo poo with keeping up with TV shows since I'm barely ever in a good position to watch them live (almost always watching them when they go up on demand), which wouldn't be too much of a problem if I didn't also have a problem with knowing when they even air. Is there an app or a website or some sort of service where I can just plug in a bunch of shows I'm interested in and it'll notify me when the next airing is? I'd just set up a recurring notification if some of the shows I'm interested didn't have an absolutely ridiculous schedule (Person of Interest and Steven Universe, particularly).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So if I wanted to use my Cardboard to watch a 3d movie, how would I go about doing that? Do people even sell 3d movies in a format you can watch those in?

Is there a dedicated Cardboard thread by any chance?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the best third-party twitter app if I specifically don't want it to be a huge data hog? I'm currently using Fenix which I like a lot but it doesn't seem to have any specific low-data-use options in it (unless I'm completely overlooking it)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think I am going to give up on Duolingo ever adding Japanese, so do any of you have a recommended alternative app for it?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the best third-party twitter app? All I really want is to be able to scroll back in chronological order, poll support, and support for the more-than-140 character tweets that twitter does now since it ignores character counts for usernames and images and hashtags and the like.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

That's the one I'm currently using which doesn't do the things I specifically asked about in the post you quoted other than 'chronological order.'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's no way I'll ever be able to convince even a single normal/non-gamer friend to use Discord as a messaging app.

I've had great success with 'hey you know how much skype sucks? this is better in every way'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think they've fixed that, or at least I don't remember any issues adding a protected feed to it last time I had to.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I like Fenix a ton for Twitter but it eats data like a motherfucker. I've been using it today while my power is out and over a few hours of off and on use it's used over 300MB, which is silly for what should be mostly text. Anyone know if there are better mobile data options in Flamingo or a different app?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Taffer posted:

300MB for "a few hours" of twitter usage is completely unsurprising. That represents easily hundreds of images and dozens of videos. I don't think you're going to find an app that limits that unless you can find one that has "don't download images at all" as an option, which... you won't.

I opened it maybe four times over the span of three hours and it used twice as much data as everything else I used in that time combined. That's a lot to me.

Fenix does have an option to disable loading media embeds and previews, but it's a toggle and not something that I can set to turn on automatically on mobile, which feels like an oversight.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
pocketcasts is fantastic and the web app is really good, it's easily the best podcast app I've used.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
pocketcasts is still good, take ten minutes and get used to it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I can't imagine why you'd want to switch away from Spotify, especially to something as bad as an apple product on a non-apple system

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people were really against spending $10 in 2022 huh

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
are you by any chance full up on cloud storage space

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Holy poo poo! Did anyone else immediately think of the phrase/meme "There's an app for that!" and have a rl lol?

it's an emergency app to record and upload interactions you have with the police so that if you get stopped for a broken taillight and mysteriously commit suicide by shooting yourself in the back of the head someone gets to know what really happened to you

it's a real big rl lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BoldFace posted:

Calling it crypto-centric is a bit much. There's maybe one notification when you first start the browser asking if you want to be part of the brave rewards program. Beyond that, it's just Chrome with with a built-in adblocker.

I don't know if you've looked into recent news about Brave.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've been using weather timeline for ages but between it feeling pretty bad at actually predicting weather recently and a friend mentioning offhand that they think they remember it getting bought out to siphon data away I'd like a replacement

I don't use a lot of the features too often, just the persistent temperature notification and the widget, but I have liked the radar in the past

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you think crypto is ethical you really need to look into it past it being ""cringe""

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VelociBacon posted:

What on earth was Vanced? I never heard of it and I'm online constantly.

an app to watch youtube without ads

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i mean, it doesn't exist anymore but it was for youtube in general and also it was free

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
executive dysfunction is a fucker and sometimes you do actually need a thing to remind you that you haven't moved/hydrated/etc in a reasonable amount of time and tell you to get off your rear end and do it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
executive dysfunction often manifests as doing nothing at all other than the thing you're doing at that exact second, even though your head is yelling at you to go do your laundry or eat some food or even go to the bathroom (at its worst). you know you have to do a thing, you WANT to go do the thing, but the connection that lets you go actually do the thing is busted until you can't delay anymore

taking the action to turn off a prompt telling you to do a thing means taking SOME action and sometimes that's enough, especially if the thing that's prompting you is annoying enough

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Uthor posted:

MediaMonkey question: is there a repeat button? My Android app is just repeating the track over and over until I skip to the next one, which then repeats. Don't see how to turn repeat off. Or even on.

I wonder if it's an error.

I know MediaMonkey is used by everyone, so I'm fully expect lots of help!

like a lot of media players, it toggles between no repeat -> repeat a single track -> repeat the whole playlist. i'd just dig through the ui a bit harder

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Medullah posted:

I have a long audiobook that is unfortunately just one audio file. What app do you guys use that can track progress on books?

try your favorite podcast app

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also, very importantly: the ads are dynamic and get updated, meaning the skip positions would be different when you listen to a podcast now versus if you listened to it a month ago

the first time i realized that the ad i was hearing when i was listening to a podcast from the top was talking about things happening now felt Very Weird

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i've replaced it with a browser bookmark of tweetdeck but someday elon's going to remember tweetdeck exists

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What do people use for weather apps these days? I'd like one with a forecast widget, but just one that reflects actual current weather conditions would be nice

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I guess you could learn how to program and make your own app? that's probably your only option

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what do people use for keyboards nowadays? I've had SwiftKey forever but I think I've finally gotten way too annoyed by it constantly spitting out nonwords and I swear it updated to swap the positions of the comma and the exclamation point in the punctuation flyout. I never used the swiping anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I've used pocketcasts for years and have never even acknowledged the discovery parts exist