Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is Action Launcher Pro worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I might just be missing it but I can't find a file explorer in my Nexus 6P, can I get recs for a good one? Preferably free?

Or just get shown where my built in one is and feel like a dolt, whatever's clever :dance:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

If you don't need root, Explorer is nice and free. Whatever you do, avoid ES.

Not rooted yet so this is perfect, thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Thirding solid explorer owning tho

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Seconding this, it's a very solid app.

Is SE that much better than just Explorer? Already installed the latter but if it's like, that much better I can swap out.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tamba posted:

Tasker only has these in the sensor category:

Oh poo poo that reminded me that I actually purchased Tasker way back in the day but haven't used it. Is there still a Tasker specific topic here on SA?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any thoughts on IRC clients? The OP has a couple that I'm checking out right now, but what about IRC for Android? I've got Play money to spend and if it's the best I might as well..

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So my Action Launcher just decided to put a white background behind only one folder, where I keep my Google stuff.

Tried making a new folder and it does the same thing, also tried changing the settings back to having a background, then back to no background, to no avail.

Any help?

Edit: it's now showing the backgrounds on any folder I open up! :kingsley:

Edit 2: it switches then back to no background if I toggle the background type, but as soon as I open it up it immediately gives it a background. Bizarre!

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 24, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Are you subscribed to the podcast such that it downloads the three most recent episodes?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any recs for a basic "learn Spanish" app?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Downloaded it and am already loving it, thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Very specific DuoLingo question: I'm trying to purchase my first Bonus Skills in the store, and every time I do so it gives me a little loading icon then.. nothing. I've tried purchasing it through the store and through just clicking a black space in the Bonus Skills area.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking I should just contact DuoLingo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone know how to get the unread Messages number to disappear in Action Launcher? Mine says I have 4 unread messages, but I definitely... don't. Power cycled and trashed the shortcut then remade it, didn't help. I know I can change the setting where it just won't show it at all, but I do like having the number there when I have unread messages.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Just assume that 5=1, 6=2, etc. Do I have to think of everything?

Alternatively, switch messaging apps to a different one and check that they're all read and accounted for then switch back to your preferred one. If that doesn't fix it, it's an Action Launcher problem.

Lol I've been doing that for four days now!

Can you give me a quick explanation of how to switch my messaging app? I just tried real quick through settings->apps but I didn't see that option?

It seems to just be increasing and not resetting once the message is read, now it's at 5 unread messages :psyduck:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

What app are you using now? Basically just use a different app. So if you use Messages (the stock Google app), go into Hangouts and enable SMS there. Or download an SMS app like Textra (...or... something, I can't remember any other third party SMS apps). Just open and run any other SMS app and let it take over, open it up and verify the data is correct, then do the same for your preferred SMS app.

The way SMS on Android works is pretty simple to understand. Basically there's something called the SMS Store that sits behind the scenes and is a repository for the messages and their statuses. There is one app that the user can designate to control it. In Nougat, you can see the app responsible for this under Settings > Apps [Gear symbol], SMS App. Clicking it will show you all apps that can manage SMS, but I wouldn't use that to select another app to fix your problem.

Your problem is that sometimes other apps views the SMS Store to get information, in this case Action Launcher to retrieve the number of unread messages, but the app managing the Store hasn't updated it yet. Or it can be the other way around, the manager did update it but the viewer is remembering a past state and hasn't gone back to verify. Either way one of the apps is only checking the Store periodically then keeping an internal tally of changes before writing the information to the repository which causes a discrepancy between what apps believe the record is. The problem is that it could be your SMS app that's doing this or the launcher or both but I suspect it's the SMS app. Switching to another app and switching back will fix this.

By the way this is the same thing that causes stuff like threads to get out of sync when you use apps like Mighty Text or Join to SMS from your PC. You'll send the SMSs and they are sent by the system but your SMS app has no way to know the Store updated so the texts don't appear in the thread until the next time the app has to read from it. Some apps do a better job of verifying their tally of SMS threads than others (like Hangouts frequently loses remotely sent SMS but Messages updates them on next run). it used to be that I used an unread SMS counter app and remotely sent and received SMSs would never reset the counter until I switched SMS apps out. They'd simply never clear the counter without doing so. I just eventually decided I'd rather have remote SMS more than a counter for unread SMS and got rid of the counter and now it's not a problem.

Tried switching to Hangouts then back, it reduced the unread number from 6 to 3 which is good I guess? But now my phone isn't using Messages as my default SMS app, it's using Hangouts. And I don't want that. Just tried power cycling the phone, Hangouts said SMS was disabled so I enabled it then disabled it again, still getting SMS sent to Hangouts. Help?

Tried going in to my apps settings and setting the app responsible for SMS to Messages, it was already set to it. Literally all my texts are still going to Hangouts. What the gently caress.

Fake edit: Sorry, having a really lovely morning. Thank you for your post. I just now have two errors as opposed to one.

Real edit: Fixed the Hangouts problem. I sent Action Launcher an email to see if they can help. Thanks again, sorry for being a douche.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 3, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you figured out that all you have to do make Messages the SMS is to open it.

Nope, I had to go in to Hangouts via my PC and completely disable SMS capabilities. I think I tried every permutation of turning on/off Messages and Hangouts from my phone and nothing worked, had to go to the PC! Couldn't tell you why, though.

It seems as if Action Launcher is just not resetting/decreasing the number of unread notifications on the icon, since it displayed 3, I got a text, displayed 4, read the text, still displayed a 4. :shrug:

Might be a file somewhere I can look at in my File Explorer, but that'll have to be later tonight.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

XIII posted:

To be fair, AL's unread badges are still in the alpha stage. Chris Lacy (AL dev) has always been against adding them, but only did so after years of people badgering him and leaving poor reviews due to their absence.

Haha yeah, when I went into my settings and saw the "Unred badges ALPHA" I was like hmmm, forgot this was an incomplete feature!

I've just turned them off right now, no biggie. We'll see if they get around to my bug report email. Not a big whoop if they don't.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a way to choose what notifications have what sound, out do I need a separate app? Like for different contacts, email, etc

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Uthor posted:

Depends on the app.

For calls, in the stock Android phone app, you can set each contact with a unique sound in the options for each contact.

For SMS, you can do the same in the stock Messenger app be going into the options of each conversation. Dunno about the other apps.

Looks like Gmail lets you do it based on labels. You'll have to go to the options for your account, then dig down to the label options (ie, where you can set what is synced for how long).

Don't see a way of doing it in Facebook Messenger. Sorry.

If you just want a separate sound for each app (not each contact), that's usually easier. You set your default notification sound in the Android settings and most apps let you change (or mute) the notification in the options somewhere.

Don't really use any other messaging apps...

Yo this post is perfect, thank you!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a good app that lets me change the volume for ringtones/notifications individually? Like , I want X app at 50% volume while having Y app at 80%?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone else use the AutoNotification app to block persistent notifications? Because I do, but I have to re-do multiple notifications I want blocked every few days. When I click on the Notification Blocking header and it takes me to the list of things I want blocked, it always only has a single display per app that I want blocked.

So for example right now it shows "Android System: Title: networks available". I use that one to block the "Wi-Fi networks available" notification. But I've also entered in one about "Messenger is displaying over other apps" and "USB charging this device", but those are nowhere to be found. Am I missing something? I have tried editing the already created block of it, and tried pressing the + key in the upper right, but I always only have one single display per Android app. This is really starting to piss me off, as I just want these stupid loving notifications gone, and when I create a block for one it's gone, but only for like, a week. What the gently caress?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

You know you can just turn off the "Networks available" notification, right? You don't have to block it, there's a UI option and everything. It's right there in wifi preferences.

Nope, didn't know that, thanks.

Can anyone else chime in on why I have to reset the notification blocker every few days?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Why does Android 10 suck so much rear end

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Because Google no longer gives any fucks about being good. They just want to be iOS, but without an iMessages clone.

:negative:

It's impressive how goddamn regressive this OS seems to be

Looks like tonight I'm switching back to 9, gently caress this trash

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've got a random question, hopefully this is the right spot for it!

So I put together a bigass playlist of "ancient background videos", like YouTube channels of people setting up aquariums, old tool restoration, scenery dash cams, etc. I was hoping to use my PS4, with the YouTube app, to just have them on as ambient background videos, and to use my Android phone as the remote, since I can do that easily enough.

The problem I'm running in to, is that on my phone one I pair it and my PS4, is that it doesn't randomize the videos. I start playing the playlist by selecting the Random button, but... it doesn't work. It starts at the top of the playlist and just works through the list downwards. Any advice?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a guide/how-to for Tasker, specifically with like, pictures?

I've gone to the website and done some Google searching and everything I've found just... doesn't correlate to the fields/pages I'm seeing in my app?

Like I'm not absolutely computer incompetent but it's incredibly unintuitive and when I've tried to do something I thought was basic (connected to WiFi? Unlock phone while connected) I've just.. not even come close. :psyduck:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

Try macrodroid instead, I found it way more actually useful and intuitive

e: oh anything involving unlocking probably needs root these days, so neither may work for you

That was just the latest example I could think of. I'll give macrodroid a try, thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So here's a probably stupid question, but cursory googling got me nothing: does the 'Toggle' function in Macrodroid just mean "turn it on if it's off and vice versa"? That's what I'm assuming but can't find confirmation..

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone know how to change the default image gallery in WhatsApp? Just searched through the settings and couldn't find it.

I want to use Google Photos but it defaulted to Android Gallery or whatever loving trash image gallery app is on here that I can't uninstall.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody else's YouTube stop being able to play while closed (I pay for yt premium or whatever), and stop having any controls in the pulldown screen or on their lock screen?

I just updated my phone (Galaxy S22) this morning and my YouTube is hosed now, legit going to cancel it if I can't figure this out in a day or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cool, thanks for that info!

I'll see about loving with the settings and hope I can get it to work.