Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just got a new phone and I'm really missing the Power Control app that came with the stock launcher with my Nexus 4. How do I get it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Download Power Toggles? What do you need to toggle that isn't in the drop-down shade?

You know I never once used that. I usually use it to switch Wi-Fi off and on and occasionally the screen brightness (which I so seldom use I don't really need a quick button for it anyway). I'll just use the shade, thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I don't use Google Keep a whole lot, but sometimes my girlfriend and I share shopping lists and whatnot using it. Whenever items are shared I get both an email and a mobile push notification.

How the gently caress do I disable email notification for this? It's kind of annoying.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tunga posted:

Oh I think he means whenever a new list is shared? I think that does appear as both.

Sorry yes, I meant whenever new lists are shared. I never considered using a Gmail filter so I guess I'll go with that. Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've been using Google Opinion Rewards for a year so my Play credits begin to expire today. I have Swype and Weather Timeline now. Any recommended paid apps I can buy that aren't already in the OP? No launchers, please.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skarsnik posted:

If you've got loads to spend you can buy yourself play music gift vouchers I think?

Not necessarily vouchers, but I can buy music directly with the Play credits. Neat! I have about $12 to burn so I might be able to get an album.

Is music on Google Play able to be downloaded to my computer or whatever or am I stuck to using my Android device(s) or the web app?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Play Store credit is supposed to use the expiration date of the most recent "promotional credit", so unless you haven't done a survey in a year, stuff shouldn't be expiring.

Good to know, thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Crossposting from the Android phones thread because I'm not sure which one is the more appropriate place:

So after working without issue for God knows how many years, Google Calendar suddenly stopped sending push notifications for reminders and events. I'm missing/forgetting important poo poo because of this.

It was fine until I took a trip to visit family which involved crossing five time zones and having my phone off or in airplane mode for extended periods of time. That seems like something that would cause it to poo poo the bed? Now that I think about it I upgraded to Android 9 during this trip. That's probably what did it.

My phone is a Pixel 1 and here's my OS info:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

The new version of Android attempts to protect you from notification spam and can be over aggressive about it. Go to the notification settings and see if it's accidentally disabled some of the notification categories for the app.

I dug around in settings and found this:

But when I actually looked into it I saw that none of the radio buttons were actually selected:

Still didn't seem to work after I picked one, though :sigh:

incogneato posted:

Have you tried creating a new test event and seeing if a fresh one successfully notifies you? Not that redoing all your events is ideal, but maybe it'd at least indicate if it just messed up your existing events.

Yeah tried it after enabling the option above. Still nothing. Neither reminders for scheduled events nor the "red Reminders" work.

Kheldarn posted:

Welcome to my life. Around the release of Nougat, GCal stopped sending me notifications. And I was on a phone running KitKat. When I upgraded my phone to one running Marshmallow, I still had the same issue. That phone got stolen, I got another just like it to replace it, and the version of GCal that came preinstalled started sending notifications. Since then, I have not updated it, because I don't want it to screw up again.

This is the verison that's working for me.

I dunno. I'd prefer to not roll back if I can help it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kheldarn posted:

So far, it's the only option I've found that works. If you find another, please share.

I scorched earth the loving thing. Cleared all of the app's data, uninstalled updates, even removed the widget I was using. Restarted the phone and suddenly I got a notification for one of the test reminders!

I updated the app again and it still seems to be working. I don't know if it'll keep behaving, but I guess I'll find out eventually.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Actually the new Messages app sucks because they got rid of custom colors :mad:

Also I'm... not receiving texts since updating it. What the gently caress.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

Yeah that's the server side switch I mentioned above in the device thread. Ever since I got it, messages won't send and just say Sending... forever. After a day or two I'll get the red text "Not sent, tap to retry" which also will fail after another couple of days.

This one?

LastInLine posted:

Messages no longer sends SMS. When the server-side update to Messages was flipped a couple weeks ago giving it the new UI, it stopped sending SMSs entirely for me. They'd just silently fail, regardless of signal strength or whether it was done via the web interface or the app. When the change was reverted the problem went away. Now the problem is back. Third party apps work fine, except I never use my phone to text, I always use the web. I guess no more texts for me.

My problem was just receiving them. They would send just fine without issue. After bleaching the poo poo out of it I managed to get it working again, thankfully. By that I mean I force stopped the app, uninstalled the updates, deleted all the app's data, restarted the phone, and then updated it again.

Then I got my entire backlog of texts once I finally received one, but only one contact at a time. Ridiculous.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

except the switch gets thrown again in a day or two and the problem comes back.

Looks like I might have some frustrating day ahead of me. I may actually start using Textra again afterall.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

I scorched earth the loving thing. Cleared all of the app's data, uninstalled updates, even removed the widget I was using. Restarted the phone and suddenly I got a notification for one of the test reminders!

I updated the app again and it still seems to be working. I don't know if it'll keep behaving, but I guess I'll find out eventually.

Update: it didn't :sigh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is the Twitter app causing problems for anyone else? All I'm getting is this poo poo:

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and it worked for like a half hour, after which it never loaded anything and only displayed cached posts with blank images :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ola posted:

Working fine for me. Try un/reinstall once more, but clear data first. I guess it could be a server side thing as well, if different regions can have different problems.

Still happens every day or so. I learned that the quick and easy fix is to just close it using the app switcher and then open it again.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay Timely hasn't been updated in over a year and it seems it might have issues with Android 10 so I'm probably going to finally change up after being a loyal Timely user for years.

What are some solid alarm clock apps? I want one as similar to Timely as possible.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 1, 2019

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God dammit I actually read over the past few pages and somehow missed this :negative:

Thanks.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wrist Watch posted:

Amdroid is nice but I find myself missing timely a lot. There's a lot of nice features but I don't really...need most of them?

:same:

I'm really missing the big fat snooze button in the centre and having to swipe gesture to dismiss. I'm so paranoid of accidentally dismissing an alarm (without the math problems bullshit) and Timely's design fixed that completely.

The colored screen coming on was nice too.

I also miss my old alarm sound. It's there a place to find them with FX or something and move them to the alarms folder?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In AMDroid, the entire screen is a snooze button. You have to press and hold the tiny little dismiss button in order to permanently end the alarm.

Didn't realize that. Thank you!

Still miss my cool blue screen though :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Because Google is great and/or I am cursed my Pixel 3 decided to stop charging. Thankfully I have my old one to fall back on while it's out for repairs.

Anyway supposedly AMdroid is compatible with the Android backup thing, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there a way to force it to restore? Or is it gone forever because I factory reset my other phone with it installed before trying it on this one?