Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd suggest Authy as a nicer alternative to Google Authenticator

Also isnt ES explorer full of chinese spyware or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Eh, probably not (probably )

Sorry for the reddit link but its got most of the info

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/30rg0e/can_we_have_a_talk_about_es_file_explorer/cpv3lx9

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 16, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Authy makes 2 factor convenient, and means I'm more likely to use it in as many places as possible. Its also pin protected so I'd say overall I'm more secure

And yes I use lastpass. Please enlighten me as to why I shouldn't

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As far as LastPass goes, I was perfectly satisfied with the way they handled the hacking, and when it was clear nothing was actually exposed I didn't freak out and carried on using it like a sensible person

The logmein thing I'm gonna wait and see on, until they actually change anything I don't see the need to switch

I've tried all the popular apps and in my opinion its the one that offers the most convenience and best overall experience day to day (the fingerprint reader integration is loving cool paired with auto filling of stuff). That means I'm more likely to use long passwords everywhere instead of getting lazy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

nocal posted:

SMS Backup+, will save all SMS/MMS to your gmail.

Good shout

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For anyone using light flow on M, a 'new' (old) version is out that gets rid of the annoying persistent notification

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlegacy

It still has the problem where the ambient display pulses a few times when you switch off the screen, but its a big improvement

If you paid for light flow , make sure you have the pro version installed before you install this one

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

The app is simpler, it encrypts your code database locally and syncs between devices via Dropbox.

I wasn't exactly worried about Authy having my poo poo, but switching to Authenticator Plus cost me no features, a little bit of money, and a few minutes of time. All in all, you gain security for little cost.

If you're still using Google Authenticator, you would gain a lot of convenience with only the most hypothetical decrease in security. (As long as you trust Authenticator Plus to actually encrypt the db and not be harvesting your info)

It does involve installing dropbox though, and I haven't used it in years. I'd rather not install another app just for one other app

I do use authys chrome app a fair bit too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

You can also use Google Drive I think.

edit: yeah you can

Oh cool

I'll be honest, I dont have the motivation to switch at the moment, but one day if i'm bored who knows

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Syrinxx posted:

Well now that Pushbullet is a mother fucker of a company who is going subscription instead of being a paid app, is there a decent alternative? I just want to SMS from my computer, and PBs 100 message limit is ridiculous.

it still doesnt work properly in M either

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think google fixed this bug for 6.01.

Nah, I still cant send a text via chrome on my 5x

Also if you send something to it from another device, it wont appear until you actual go and open the app

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Juice SSH now has a book recommendation club in it

Obviously

Kinda lovely for a paid app. Its was so good too

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mogomra posted:

I think they gave me the paid version just for joining their Google+ group or something? It still gets the job done for me.

Functionally the app is still the same but its still a poo poo thing to put ads in your paid app

I wonder if it got sold to someone

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sendo posted:

Seems like push bullet are doing their best to put everyone off the service, I wasn't bothered by the subscription since I only used it to mirror notifications and push links between devices. However they've now started pushing advertisements as fake notifications, I've seen at least 3 times now on my desktop a legit notification come through and have a fake one immediately below it.

This sounds more like you have some shitware giving you ads on your phone as a notification and Pushbullet is just mirroring it like it should do

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is there any way of customising the notifications chrome gives?

Last time I checked there wasn't, I'd really like a silent with vibrate notification for fb like I can do with the app

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vyst posted:

I love lastpass. it well earns the subscription

As far as app functionality goes, I think it's miles ahead of everything else

A lot of people are not happy with the recentish hack, and who they are now owned by

I'm not one of them, and still use it (until I have a real reason to switch) but its an argument that has been done to death on here already

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just try them out and see which one you like best?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've never needed anything than stock as far as launchers go, but I can see the appeal

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Google Now Launcher became my go to when I decided I was done loving with margins and home screen grids literally all goddamn day. I decided to go all in with Google and let them do all the futzing for me and I'm .24% less trapped in my phone because of it.

This is pretty much the same for me, its one less thing to care about.

Its the same reason I dislike having an easy to see battery percentage, cos you end up obsessing about it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vyst posted:

Ok so I'm trying to break free from the garbage facebook app and going to their mobile site only. I'm using Chrome (Beta) and I have notifications enabled but I still can't manage to see any notifications for facebook in the shade or notification bar. Am I missing a step here? m.facebook.com shows up in chrome settings as allowed for notifications.

Do i need to go back to just the non-beta version of Chrome?

I've recently done the same and its amazing how much better my 5x is running

As for notifications, try clearing all the default site settings for all versions of Facebook saved in chrome and then revisit the mobile site. Its still a bit hit and miss, and it doesn't seem to notify you for everything.

Its still worth the trade off though, I just wish I could customise the chrome notification

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SpookyLizard posted:

I really recommend metal for your Facebook app sucks needs.

It's just a wrapper for the website that still won't let me choose the notification sound or whatever.

Unless I'm missing something I'm not seeing the point when it basically just opens the mobile site within an app

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whenever that question comes up the general consensus is don't bother cos all phone pedometers are poo poo

I don't know if that has changed with the current crop of phones but I'd guess not

You're better off getting a proper one

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

It's this. I wrote a pedometer proof-of-concept once and the sensor data is just worthless. Android Wear does a better job, or just get a Fitbit or whatever.

Have you tried it with your new phone? It was on an n5 you did it before wasn't it?

Curious more than anything else

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

nexus6 posted:

I have to be an all access subscriber to listen to that?

Its a playlist/radio station on google play music, of course you do

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uthor posted:

I paid a penny for three months back in December. The YouTube Red stuff is super useful and I love it. I have used Google Play Music I think once to play an album I don't own. I'm mostly annoyed that it makes it harder to search my personal albums by mixing in streaming results.

Probably won't be continuing the subscription.

I find the radio stations are the best thing about it, either the preset ones already on there, or when I point it at a band and tell it to play stuff like it

I really can't wait till Red makes it over to the uk though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uthor posted:

I'm an album listener, so listening to random tracks in a radio style doesn't do much for me.

I was exactly the same till I got a trial subscription (I am old). You should try it, you might be surprised.

It's great with a huge existing collection as you'll hear stuff you haven't listened to in ages pop up

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Finally something to spend my survey bucks on

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

I thought you couldn't spend survey dollars on subscription services?

Its not a subscription though, its a gift

Try it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I moved away from 1psssword cos I hated the interface so much, it was all ios and weird

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ashex posted:

Does anyone know how to change the notification sound for chrome notifications? I'd like to just make it Silent so I can use Light flow to control it. I've got light flow setup for it but haven't figured out how to silence chrome.

I'd really like to know this too but pretty sure it's not possible..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anjow posted:

I just got a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow, and when the phone it just sat there on my desk the screen will occasionally turn itself on without and clear reason - no new notifications or anything. Is there a way I can find out what's causing this? Sorry if it's a bit of a silly question.

Are you using lightflow?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The legacy version fixes the brief flash of a notification you get appearing with the 'new' version, but it doesn't fix the pulsing of the ambient display you're experiencing

Its definitely light flow doing it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well you could just turn off ambient display, depends how useful you find it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Change notification mode to 'ongoing (no icon)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Definitely go with Wifi based location with llama, ignore all the experimental warnings

Modern android is constantly checking Wifi networks for location already, so it's not a battery drain

Also dont use the version on the website, the lollipop 'fixes' are not actual fixes

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

AnimalChin posted:

for a radar app?

1Weather is excellent and has a good radar.
If you don't have a million survey bucks with nothing to spend them on you're not androiding right

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Daztek posted:

I installed Chromer and my life changed

Huh, that is pretty cool

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That all sounds like exactly how Chrome already works for me.

I kinda slides out from the side as if it was part of the app you are using, and then you can seamlessly go back to the app when you close it

It's pretty slick, and noticeably quicker

Also as it actually uses chrome you get all your saved passwords, cookies, history etc

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have little opinion either way tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I definitely was, and it didn't really bother me aside from the one time my mrs thought I'd been searching for 'Kim kardashian Instagram nudes' when she saw it trending

but its not there anymore apparently, I did have a search update yesterday