Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Authenticator plus is the paranoid authy. Syncs an encrypted database to either drive or Dropbox. Also does encrypted manual backup if that's more your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Whizbang posted:

Join is the free replacement for pushbullet.

Just deleted my pushbullet account, this is insanely good. It's not free, it's a one-time $5 fee. Stores all your data in your google drive though, and supports end-to-end encryption, this owns. Doesn't look like you need to join the beta anymore, it's right on the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.join .

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Konstantin posted:

What is the best VPN solution for Android?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Squish posted:

Aren't you the last bit uncomfortable about your personal information and conversations being stored and kept by companies, probably indefinitely, without any scrutiny or oversight? I get that phone companies are hardly any better than google but at least there are tighter regulations in place for telcos than others. The best way to prevent abuse is to not let them get that data in the first place. The tinfoil hat takes care of the rest.

If you don't want a company reading your messages, you have to dump SMS all together.

Here's some decent options to look at:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thoughtcrime.securesms

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.threema.app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.telegram.messenger

Signal is arguably the best and safest of the group, but telegram is the most popular and easiest to use. Threema has a really nice intuitive method of confirming identities, but it's the only closed source app among them.

hot date tonight! fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 21, 2016

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Regretful Humming posted:

So Signal is a good alternative to WhatsApp?

WhatsApp and Signal use the same encryption, implemented by the same guy.

The difference is only in how tightly you wear your tinfoil hat, WhatsApp is closed source and Signal is open. WhatsApp will never be audited and you have no assurance that it is secure.

And as Whizbang pointed out, it's all worthless against state actors anyway. You've probably got bigger issues if the NSA is after you though.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yep, about the third screen I got in the setup process. Clicking the suggestion takes me to the Accessibility page somewhere under the phone's Settings.

Join never asked me to turn that on, and it's working fine. I don't get the same dialog on my Nexus 6P, with device encryption turned on and fingerprint as my unlock method. Not hugely helpful, but try it without giving it accessibility?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

wormil posted:

Ublock Origin + Firefox is blocking me from opening links. Anyone else running into this. It wasn't happening when I first installed it. on Marshmallow.

All links or just some links? Ublock will completely block links to most clickbait and malicious websites like buzzfeed.

It can also interfere with links to tracking heavy websites like Facebook depending on which lists you have enabled.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Inspector_666 posted:

It looks like BeyondPod's settings menus haven't been re-made since Honeycomb, but I find the UI not terrible. The Pro key is on sale for $3 so I ended up just buying that.

Beyondpod handles private feeds much better, pocketcasts synching feature doesn't require feedly as a middle man so it's a bit easier to use. Pocketcasts has a very nice web client that also syncs with your app, but it costs an additional $5ish.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Tapping the fingerprint reader on your phone to instantly fill 2FA logins is slick as hell and the lastpass authenticator has me sold. I hope their backups restore properly because I've never had to do it.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I just use plain old virtualbox for android and other OS emulation. It's open source and free for personal use, no bullshit packaged with it either.

You'll need an x86 build of android though and that might not fit your testing needs

hot date tonight! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 14, 2017

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there any Windows software that simplifies ADB Backup and Restore and lets you pick and choose what apps and data get backed up?

edit: ADB might not be capable of seeing what's installed, so I guess I'd like it to let me choose what to restore.

Pretty sure this is what Helium does, but I've never used it and can't vouch for it.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Someone in this thread recommended Deliveries and I've used it ever since, it's very good.

Re: Google poo poo: If you want YouTube without ads on your phone try out NewPipe, it's an open source YouTube replacement with all the bullshit cut out.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Guillermus posted:

A requeriment would be allowing me to log in with my google account to manage my channel and that stuff.

I love Newpipe, but it's made by those no Gapps / no Google accounts types. It's subscription system is in-app only and doesn't sync with your Google account.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
https://messages.android.com/

I'm not really sure what google has managed to gently caress up about this yet, but here we go

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
You could try Google arc welder, it's worked well for a few apps I tried with it. It's a bit of a hassle though.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
They're going to get a ton of blowback for this, their website clearly stated that they would always be a one time purchase with no subscription fees.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

LastInLine posted:

How would you feel if you bought a lifetime license for something that just disappeared? More ripped off or less ripped off?

This is a bit of a false dilemma because the CEO told The Verge that the switch to subscription model wasn't being done for revenue but to realign with NPR values. Pocket Casts wasn't at risk of disappearing.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

LastInLine posted:

It's not a false dilemma if the app purchases were subsidizing the ongoing costs of running the server. I'm not privy to the numbers obviously, but that doesn't seem too crazy to me.

I believe I mentioned upthread that I'm not sure I buy that. The This American Life app which is the only way to get more than the last ten episodes of the show costs $2.99 (and is terrible). TAL owns Pocket Casts. Does TAL not align with NPR values?

Hey man, I'm just quoting their CEO, I don't think he's lying about this. https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20870656/pocket-casts-plus-podcast-app-subscription-update-price

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

AMDroid is doing something really annoying: before the alarm sound starts gently fading in like I intend, I get the standard notification chime at full whatever-that's-set-to volume, which instantly wakes me up. Was working as intended until this started happening maybe a week ago; I thought it might have been tied to an Android update but didn't pin it down then. Do Not Disturb has always been on. Any ideas for a system or AMDroid setting to look at? Pixel 3a, all the recent updates.

This started happening for me too with android 10, I haven't tried to fix it at all I've just been annoyed by it. Could probably silence the alarm notification and still have the alarm go off, but I have no idea. Maybe set do not disturb to stay on until 5 minutes after the alarm?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
The stock phone app has a setting in the options to block spam calls, it works great for me

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have that enabled and it does jack poo poo. It blocked most calls for a while, but now it blocks none. Literally none.

:google: I guess, it even blocks the local spoofed numbers for me

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I don't know all the details, it sounds like Google services is a hurdle, have you tried microG as a Google services replacement? https://github.com/microg/GmsCore

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Digital Prophet posted:

Is everyone still recommending fennec?

I happily used waterfox until it quit being updated a few years ago, and switched to firefox and then the nightly build. With every update, it feels like my browser is getting more restrictive and less customizable. The difference between the old waterfox mobile browser (which was basically the same as the desktop browser, with full extension support) and the modern firefox browser is depressing.

Im sure this is due to security issues or something, but firefox at least, is starting to feel pretty walled-gardeny. You can't even access about :config anymore unless you are using the nightly build or fennec.

Is chrome better now? Maybe one of the chrome forks?

If you're the kind of guy that would use waterfox, and want to check out a chromium fork, bromite is really good.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

anakha posted:

I'm seeing recommendations for Niagara on other networks.

I switched from Nova to Niagara awhile ago and I love it, but it's a totally different launcher style than Nova. Still I love that it keeps your home screen super neat and clean looking without any janitoring required. It's kind of expensive though.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Someone could conceivably make an app with a sponsorblock style user updated database of skipping points, but sponsorblock works because youtube is huge and I'm not sure podcasts have that kind of audience

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Fritter still works on fdroid if you want a newpipe-like experience for viewing twitter without ads. Same as new pipe you can't log in but you can make your own subscriptions etc locally.

Revanced patcher also supports the official twitter app and has a patch to remove timeline ads.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
There used to be a number of facebook web wrapper apps that I saw suggested in this thread years ago like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nam.fbwrapper&hl=en&gl=US . It looks like it still works but I don't use facebook so I've got no idea if these are still any good to use.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Pretty sure one if the ublock origin optional annoyance filters will block those, and most other social media linking and cookie pop up poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Not sure how Hark does it but Graphene has a network app permission that should absolutely be in AOSP. It's so useful, but I know it would create even more grandma airplane mode it support incidents.