Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Uthor posted:

I think Steam forces you to use their app, too.

They want you to use the app, but they still do it with sms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

kri kri posted:

I think he was talking about battle.net

Yep. Sorry. battle.net.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Something started recently that makes me want to fastball my phone.

I'll go to hangouts via notification, start typing my reply, and all of a sudden in the middle of typing it flips to the Hangouts splash screen and says "signing in" and drops me back into the conversation list instead of the conversation I was in the middle of typing in.

Anyone else have this start happening recently?

I cleared cache, uninstalled and reinstalled it. Works fine now.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

One note syncing is slow and clunky. I love the desktop version and the ipad app is good but the Android phone one is kind of lovely.

I hate that when you scroll the content moves and bounces all over the place and sometimes when I try to delete stuff with the back key on the keyboard it duplicates the word I'm trying to get rid of. It also doesn't scroll right when you try to highlight more than is on the screen.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

gReader.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Does anybody know of a good annotation app since there's no more Skitch?

I want to be able to take a photo of something, draw lines and circle things, and add text.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Uthor posted:

OneNote?

Can you export it from OneNote as a jpeg or anything?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I am in the same boat and am using Apowersoft Screenshot which....kind of does what I'm looking for but it's a rather dreadful app and it doesn't do text boxes.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'll try this one out. Thanks!

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

It seems like they fixed it but droid-life would straight up crash Firefox before...Which may be a feature to some.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Man, it sucks that both developers seem to kind of suck.

In my experience (roughly a month for each), Netguard seems to work for adblocking but DNS66 doesn't, consistently. I checked and I hadn't updated the hosts file in 10 days, while with DNS66 it would only function for an hour or so after updating the hosts file.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Ughhhh. I just opened Play Music and it signed me out for some reason. I logged back in and the 15 or so albums I downloaded on it were deleted for some reason.

I have it set up to use my SD card but all my photos and the music I uploaded from my pc are all still there so it looks like GPM just randomly shat the bed.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Nova would actually get kicked out of RAM quite a bit for me. I'm using it again and it's fine for the meantime, but before after I used it for a couple months it would start to redraw constantly and deleting data / cache wouldn't fix it. This has been happening on my S3, Droid Turbo, and now my Moto Z Play.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Before I forsook my music collection and just started using GPM for everything (I miss my old songs and am too lazy to bother uploading / adding to library so I just listen to new stuff which mostly sucks, especially if you’re into hip-hop), I was using MediaHuman Audio Converter. You could just choose your conversion settings and drag / drop everything into it.

I was then using MediaMonkey to attach album covers because I was insane.

The problem is, recently, I saw a different MediaHuman app was always running an onscreen video capturing software so I uninstalled all associated apps.

I haven’t bothered trying anything else since then so I have nothing to recommend but there’s probably something else out there that batch converts audio files for free with no spyware and no hassle

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I want it in Firefox now.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just opted into the Android P beta and now DNS66 doesn't block ads. Is there anything like it that works?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I picked up an HP Chromebook x2 and Android app support is pretty buggy on it, unfortunately. I blame the app developers more than Google. I can't get the Airtable app to load up and in the PWA scrolling doesn't work with the touchscreen for some reason. So even for webapps some things only function correctly in laptop mode. Many apps I use frequently, such as Hoopla, freeze while opening and other times, they work completely fine.

It took me a week to figure out that on website menus you have to do a half long press to scroll or click on anything.

Also the settings system is really weird. There are separate menus for ChromeOS and Android, and there's also chrome://flags in the browser.

Build quality is great and the tablet isn't heavy. The battery life is great, too. I want to like this thing but I'm not running the beta and it's still too buggy.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Sometimes the virtual keyboard freezes when I try to long press a letter for a number, so I'm half tempted to plug it back into the keyboard dock whenever I want to type anything, and at least I have that option.

If this also happens on the Acer Tab 10, where you would have to buy a separate keyboard, then what the gently caress are they doing? Like the long press for right click menu fix, these are definitely things that should have been fixed before releasing tablet hardware with no keyboard, when half of your devices already have a tablet mode.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I moved from Pocket Casts to Antenna because the former was killing my battery and I just reinstalled it to see if power management is still an issue.

I thought the persistent media notifications were broken this whole time, but I think it was Antenna. If you have recently played multiple audio sources, you're supposed to be able to swipe between them. Antenna was treating each podcast episode I had played that day as ITS OWN AUDIO SOURCE.

Edit: Welp Pocket Casts only went like 7 hours before it drained my battery to single digits. Hopefully AntennaPod fixes this soon.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 24, 2020

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

It’s been happening on my Pixel 2xl with Firefox Beta.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Firefox Beta updated a day or two ago. It looks like that weird duplication in the app switcher has been fixed.

Also, it looks like AntennaPod fixed the media notification duplication bug.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

but of the only two audio apps I use, Spotify and Pocket Casts, one won't persist (Spotify) and the other won't launch the app.

I haven't noticed that yet for Pocket Casts, but can confirm the Spotify one vanishes over time for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

How does it treat it now? The way Pocket Casts works is if you don't use the queue, it just puts a dead notification in the media player that can't even launch the app because the podcast you just listened to automatically deleted and now it doesn't point anywhere. The whole (stupid) point of a persistent media interface is that you can swipe between things that have played audio but of the only two audio apps I use, Spotify and Pocket Casts, one won't persist (Spotify) and the other won't launch the app.

Okay, to follow up on this because I said I would after further testing...

Pocket Casts works correctly. If a podcast ends and auto - deletes, it’ll still show that podcast in the notification but if I click on it, it opens up to whatever normal menu I was last at.

Podcast Addict does something similar to what you are experiencing with Pocket Casts, only it opens up to a blank useless player since the podcast ended and is deleted. I can still leave that player to get to the app, though.

The Spotify notification will disappear after playback ends within a half hour.

AntennaPod one works mostly fine but it’ll sometimes only appear in the quick settings menu even while playing and it’ll sometimes disappear randomly hours after playback, but at least it doesn’t make a new entry for every single podcast. [Fake edit: I just went to check the Pocket Casts one and AntennaPod started to do that again]

So I guess Google did the stupid Google thing it always does and left part of the implementation of the widget up to the app developers to fix so we are all seeing buggy or inconsistent behavior per app, per phone.