Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keyser S0ze posted:

I use "Hangouts" for like 3 people (only 1 of which actually know what it is) and yeah it's great to reply on the desktop instead occasionally, but everyone else just sends me texts via sms/mms.

I'm the exact opposite. Everyone I know uses hangouts and I just have like 3 people that text me (like my parents.)

So, SMS is infrequent for me. I might send a hundred messages on hangouts a day, but I'll only send a few dozen SMS in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Facebook intentionally broke app for some users as an experiment to see if they would stay away from the service or just use the mobile website instead. People overwhelmingly used the mobile site rather than not use Facebook.

It is speculated that this was done to gauge what would happen if Facebook was removed from Google Play.

That's not ominous at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Microsoft apps on Android are actually pretty drat fantastic so this should probably be viewed as a positive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Stop the presses people!!!!! Listed for the latest update for Google music! I'd like to think the daily feedback I've been giving over the issue prompted them to action (yeah, yeah, I know better.)

quote:

After listening to Code Your Face Off radio (https://goo.gl/VHnzN0), our engineers fixed a bunch of bugs including one related to resuming songs over Bluetooth

Hopefully it fixes it once and for all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the real question is, why are you NOT a Play Music subscriber? All you can eat music and zero YouTube ads? A bargain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Trip report, the Play Music update did nothing to solve the auto-launching of the app with a new queue for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon let's you block 5 numbers for 90 days for free. If you want to block more or don't want them to reset after 90 days, you have to pay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, same here, new app, they show up in the web interface and I've even been able to add subs, but no app support yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Uthor posted:

Though it looks like I can now install it on my Moto X, which is new. Too bad I just broke that phone. :(

Can confirm.

Now I hilariously have two apps with the same name and same icon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can confirm it fully works on the Moto X Pure too. Called myself from my office phone and it looked up and populated business info for caller ID.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, Google released yet another messaging app today and all of the blogs scratched their collective heads.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AccuWeather app is material design as gently caress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The vast majority of my chatting with friends is done either from my tablet or my Chromebook/PC since I tend to put my phone down and ignore it when I'm home. Allo is a step back from messaging portability, so that's a pretty big reason why I'm not interested at all with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

God Google, if you really want to compete with imessages why not develop some sort of API that hooks into your Google account, then force OEM's to implement it into their stock messaging apps.

This poo poo should have been done 3 years ago.

They wouldn't have to force anything.

The SMS store is a system component so it's consistent between manufacturer builds of Android. All they would need to do is have a new process in play services monitor the DB for updates and forward them off to Google's servers.

Google could very easily build a superior version of iMessage with little effort, they just have chosen not to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I would imagine there would have to be some work done by the OEM's to support things like message indicators (typing, read etc) stickers, "fun" features etc.

You can have a specific app for 'fun' features. The key is laying out the network so it doesn't have to be opt in.

You update play services so it serves as a proxy for the SMS DB while at the same time synchronizing it to the cloud.

If the person hasn't downloaded a special app for the messaging, they just use whatever SMS handler they normally use. That message get intercepted by play services. If the recipient is on an enhanced client, the message gets written to the local SMS DB as already sent and then the message is then sent through cloud services to the enhanced client at the other end. If the recipient doesn't have an enhanced client and is on an android phone, the message is still sent by IP and play services on the destination device writes it to the SMS db and the user gets notified via their normal SMS client seamlessly. If the recipient is not using an enhanced client and is not android, it's just sent as SMS.

That way, people who really couldn't be bothered and would just rather use normal SMS still reap the advantages of others using the network. If the recipient is android regardless, you can bypass all that tedious mucking about with SMS gateways.

The key is that all messages are syncronized to the internet. So, you hop on gMessage in a browser and send a message to someone. If they are using an enhanced client, it just uses IP. If the recipient is SMS only and not android, then the system either uses an SMS relay or sends the message to your phone to send via SMS.

I'm willing to bet that all of this functionality could be rolled out to current devices just through play services.

Then, after you get that framework working well, you open up API access to the enhanced features. That way, any 3rd party or manufacturer messaging client would be able to interface with them. After a generation of devices, suddenly everyone is on the new chat network and it didn't take anyone signing up for anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If a person you are messaging doesn't have Allo and has android wear, the notification and message will pop up on your wrist and you can hit reply, but it just says "Sent" and kills the message.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was just thinking, only Google would release a new messaging app that can't transfer conversation history to a new device on the eve of announcing new phones that they want people to buy and move to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We shouldn't give a poo poo about the message protocol.

We are to the point where we can have cloud sync, device sync, and automatic message feature scaling based on client. All without needing the user to do a goddamn loving thing.

That's why we should be bringing the pitchforks, we don't have it yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ever since the last Google launcher update, none of my devices refresh by default when i swipe right on the home screen. This is on Moto X, 5x, N7, and Pixel C. It's just blank until I manually refresh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting that Google Rewards updated with a round icon. I wonder if all google first party apps are going to go round to match the new Pixel Launcher.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just got asked yesterday if I've been parachuting or paragliding in the past 4 weeks. No idea what prompted that and even the question itself is odd because they are pretty different sports even if they do both involve the prefix 'para.'

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

I've used Lastpass in the past but to be quite honest I don't really trust them to not lose all my poo poo.

By "lose all my poo poo" are you referring to them just deleting the database and you not having access anymore or are you afraid of a breach?

If it's the latter, Lastpass's method for storage and access is about as secure as they come. DB is encrypted only locally and the key is only stored locally. Any compromise of the cloud system can only get the encrypted DB and the salted hash of the master password. So, as long as your master password is sufficiently complex, there shouldn't be an issue.

So, to compromise your Lastpass password vault, someone would have to breach the system, get both the password DB, the salt, as well as the salted hashed password for logging in, compromise the hashing algorithm to create the salted and hashed password, use that algorithm and salts to brute force the master password, then compromise the algorithm used to make the decryption key, use the master password to generate the key, and THEN unlock the password DB.

They would also have to do all of this before the breach is detected and Lastpass advises everyone to change both their master password and all the passwords in their vault with new randomized passwords.

Any other rube goldberg method of password storage and syncing is far less secure.

If you are worried about the former (actual loss of all the passwords), export them periodically, print them, and put them in a fire safe or a safety deposit box. You're better off though just making sure all the various password recovery methods are up to date so you can reset the password if you lose it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Note that LastPass has been breached more than once

While it's true that they've been breached, none of breaches that have happened (to my knowledge) managed to get away with any password vaults. So, what has happened is that they were able to get their hands on salted and one-way hashed master passwords. It's compromising, but they could effectively do nothing with that information unless they were able to brute force all the passwords and then log in individually to the website and download the vaults through the front door.

That means there was a single password that needed resetting, the master password.

There have also been MTTM attacks demonstrated, but not found in the wild, that could potentially compromise on an individual basis. But once you start going down the road of MTTM and compromised local device, all controls kinda start flying out the window.

Any cloud service can, and in all probability, will be breached given a long enough timeline.

Keepass is only going to be more secure if you keep your password DB offline on a USB drive that you keep in a safe at home. Keepass has been exploited in the past as well too, so nothing's full proof.

The best password defense is using totally random passwords that you rotate frequently, do 2f auth where possible, and keep recovery info up to date (and don't store recovery account passwords with main account passwords.) Whatever allows you do keep up with that is going to be what's best for you. If it's keepass + google drive, great. If it's lastpass, also good, if it's a notebook written in your own crypto language that you keep guarded by an angry badger, go for it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 22, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Actually Tavis' exploit (he works for Google's Project Zero) was a full extraction of the user's database accomplished by just having the victim visit a malicious site. Obviously they patched that given that he's a white hat but you wouldn't have known about it if he weren't.

That said I agree with what I think everyone is saying which is any option is better than none at all.

Travis's exploit wasn't a server side breach which is why I mentioned MITM separately. It was bad, good that it was caught by a white hat, but once you start going down the route of MITM and client side exploits, poo poo gets hard to secure really fast. Individual attacks are in a different class of things anyways since those are targets of opportunity rather than concentrated intent to mass steal credentials. I mean, Keepass had an exploit that ripped clear text passwords right out of memory. Any program you install with admin privileges has the potential of installing a bogus cert and setting up a proxy to scrape pretty much anything you browse and send online.

But, I guess that's enough of a derail, everyone is pretty much in agreement anyways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Horn posted:

FX manager seems to be able to pass network videos to VLC and MX player. Network access isn't free but I think there's a 7 day trial.

Why you need something to pass to VLC? It handles network shares natively. I use VLC to play videos off my NAS with my SHIELD with no issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Could the time zone thing be related to Chrome's data saver functionally? If they are doing timezone by IP and it's going though a nonlocal proxy, that seems plausible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Capital One FINALLY has support for Android Pay (in the US on select cards.)

You have to have the Capital One wallet installed to verify Android Pay setup, but that's fine as the app is useful for charge notifications.

http://phandroid.com/2016/11/02/android-pay-capital-one/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't really get myself to care about RCS unless SOMEHOW Google links allo and hangouts and SMS and does the big old iMessage clone, which I know they won't.

Also, as I'm typing this, I would like to point out on a brand new Google Pixel that allo comes up as a misspelled word yet Google keyboard will autocorrect case in iMessage.

Google in a nutshell right there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Luchadork posted:

Doesn't the Pixel come with Messenger and Duo installed, and no Allo? 'Cause that's Google in a nutshell.

No, it comes with all three pre-installed and hangouts disabled.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hotsauce posted:

Not compatible with the Pixel XL? Huh?

http://i.imgur.com/rP1kuZF.jpg

Comes up as installable on my Pixel. Probably just a Google store quirk until it rolls out completely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Finally, the Allo update everyone was waiting for!
https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/16/google-allo-smart-smiley/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing is, if date metadata wasn't important for Google photos, it shouldn't default the view to sort by date or it should put photos without date metadata last.

I tried out the photoscan thing last night on two 20 year old photos and sent them to a friend.

The fact that two 20 year old photos are listed as "yesterday" when I open up Photos irritates me to the point where I'm probably going to remove the photos until I can correct the metadata.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, it's not an unsolvable problem if you were making a effort to scan and upload old photos.

The original point is that there's no way to do it from your phone. While this app is pretty quick for what it does, it still requires interaction per photo. Adding an optional "When and where was this photo taken" prompt when you save would be hugely useful and wouldn't add overhead to the process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google just dumped 4 "Team News" sections into my Google now that I can't swipe away and have no context menus to configure.

I don't follow sports period, why the hell is this stuff there and how do I make it go away?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I pulled down to refresh and they're gone now.

I also got a notification about a "Top Story". Like, full on notification with vibration and everything. Me thinks Google is messing with feed features again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like it was probably this that caused my Google now weirdness the other day.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/12/06/google-app-update-breaks-google-now-two-feeds/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android wear doesn't support pairing of multiple of any type of phone right now.

You have to factory reset to switch phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Taffer posted:

That's very optimistic. I don't see why app devs would give a poo poo about supporting a weird one-off feature that Google randomly pushed in contrast to all their other design guidelines. Especially when only a tiny portion of users (like, probably a half a percent) will ever see it, and far less even will care.

That's speaking as an app dev. It's not even a note on my mile-long list of things I need or want to do.

I have a Pixel and a very high percentage of my apps have already updated with a circular icon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blue Train posted:

can you pirate a calculator? I dunno

Yes. That rom is TI IP, so yeah, it's filez.

I mean, it's totally silly that they are still charging what they're charging for a graphing calculator in 2016. However, that doesn't make the rom any less their intellectual property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google is going to be removing the Google Now Launcher from the Play Store.

You better hope your OEM wants to integrate the Google Now Panel into their own launcher.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/03/google-will-discontinue-google-now-launcher-coming-weeks/