Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone use a torrent app? There are lots of options and I'd like to avoid one that is full of malware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Malwarebytes is okay with zetaTorrent

e: first review for comedy value

Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Phone is a samsung s9+.

So right now if I want to take a photo of something and get that photo to my PC I end up having to go scrolling to find the image in my gallery, press and hold, press the share button that comes up, select "gmail", put my email address in, and send it. It takes like 20 seconds or so for a single photo and a few minutes if I select two photos (each around 4mb). I can't send more than 2 photos because it just hangs the gmail app.

Is there a better way of automatically sending photos to myself? Is there an app that integrates such that when I press and hold on something and click "share", it can come up pinned at the top to use the app to have it show up in a certain folder on my desktop or to autosend to a certain email? I feel like it's the most clunky poo poo in the world to deal with sending images at all.

Is this where people use dropbox? Using google photos doesn't seem like a solution because it doesn't update quickly enough and using the microsoft My Phone application never seems to work properly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

I used to use Dropbox and I now use OneDrive. You can share to the apps or have them backup all your photos. Remember your storage limits if you use it for a full backup, especially if you are using the free tier.

How quick is it? I found google photos was slower to update than if I just went through and emailed one by one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the replies. I really don't like OneDrive because of the way it defaults on the PC to grabbing folders and making them cloud based (and removing them locally) to the extent that it'd be my last resort here but it sounds like I have lots of options. Appreciate it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hobnob posted:

Are there any audio players that remember play/resume positions in tracks? Not just for the currently playing track, but if I, say, play track A, pause somewhere in the middle and play track B, then want to resume track A where left off.

This is for listening to podcasts downloaded on my tablet. Pretty much all podcast apps assume you'll be streaming the files, and the ones that work with downloads don't seem to interoperate with files you've already downloaded outside of their app.

Podcast Addict does this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to the few goons who recommended Pushbullet to me. It really is the best way of getting files seemingly without degradation back and forth between my phone and PC.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Am I the only one who basically never uses the tab page in chrome on android

Yeah I didn't know any of those changes happened because I also don't bother with it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google lens.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eSporks posted:

Yea, I'm aware of all those.

The main reason I'm asking is that I'm about to go on a 30hr drive. I want to have playlist A for my murder mystery podcast. Playlist B for my comedy podcast. Playlist C for my current events.

That way I can switch between them easily while driving when I get in a different mood. Using up next for that is pretty cumbersome while driving, and also easy to lose track of where I'm at in a series.

Maybe use secure folder and reinstall your podcast app, that gives you two discreet installs/lists.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hotsauce posted:

Uh-oh. Pocket casts has been bought by Automattic. Hopefully us lifetime subs continue to, well, get lifetime subs. The whole NPR thing years ago took it away, then it was restored after lots of bitching. Can only assume it's on the chopping block again. If so, I'm out. Waaaaay too many monthly "couple bucks" $IV drips being paid out. Uncle!

Podcast Addict awaits you friend

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wondering if anyone else feels like there's not been a lot of great reasons to upgrade for a few generations? I remember when every 2 years the phones were dramatically better both in terms of visually with the resolutions and oled/etc technology, MUCH better cameras, integration of biometrics, NFC, etc.

I have an s9+ and I legitimately can't find a reason to upgrade to any of the new flagships (not that I'm eager to). What's the pull? The cameras don't seem that much better, the screen technology seems pretty much the same, the battery life doesn't seem dramatically improved. Even the OS upgrades are still relevant on the s9 so ???

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a good note taking app that syncs with a desktop version?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mikl posted:

Google Keep is good for quick notes (either written or drawn, also with pictures and images appended to them if you want), and syncs with the webapp.

Thank you

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ramadu posted:

I've got a dumb question. I figured that I'd be able to download mp3 files or m3u playlists on my phone (pixel 3) and spotify or the podcast app would be able to play those. I was wrong! Is there an app I can play these files that doesn't just stop working when you swap away from it like dropbox and I can put them on a playlist? They are audio books for what its worth.

VLC

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

I'm semi-old. I know what VPN is, but not NAS.

Network accessed storage, just a computer running any os with stuff on it on the network that you access.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a setting anywhere for google calendar to not jump into week view when you click on an item from the normal month view? I hate weekly view and find it disorientating. I've looked everywhere.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there some kinda software I can use to set up a cloud based storage for my photos/videos on my phone, to be synced onto my NAS? Like I get home, it sees it's on wifi, it looks for new media and syncs it to some folder.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

deong posted:

What ñas? Synology has photos..

I just have a server PC on windows 10 that I use as a plex/torrent server. Lots of extra room on there and I'd like to have my photo gallery on my android phone backed up to a folder on that machine.

e: actually it looks like 'owncloud' might work, for free.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 29, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I just set up 'syncthing' to back up my phone media to my windows server, and it works loving amazing and it's the perfect replacement for cloud-based backup like google photos. It was easy to set up and works perfectly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

zzMisc posted:

Syncthing is awesome but as a general reminder, it is not a backup program, it is a sync program. If something happens to your phone media, deletion or corruption or whatever, Syncthing's job will be to immediately make the same thing happen to the synced folder on the server. It's really important that you're actually backing up the synced folder on your server as well.

Sorry if you're already doing this, maybe I've just seen too many reddit posts not understanding this, I just feel like it should be mentioned when someone brings up sync-as-backup in case anyone gets the wrong idea about how it works.

Thanks, I think I changed a setting so that it can't delete items from the sync folder on the server. Didn't hurt to check!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Could you do something like send only or receive only? Does that prevent deletion from duplicating the other end?

I like Syncthing but I still get confused with trying to manage several devices at once.

Isn't this ensuring that deletion on the server won't delete stuff on the phone?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh I'm not deleting anything from my phone, it's just a backup in case I brick my phone or lose it etc. I have a 256gb expansion card in there and it's not even half full. Only 15gb of media even backed up with synching.

I appreciate the post though for sure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Let us know how the grass is over there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nonathlon posted:

Thanks for all the ad-less YouTube suggestions - the ads there have been getting more and more intrusive and longer, some are entire music videos. If you're listening to yt in the background, it's a major irritation to have to walk over and click "skip ad" every few minutes. I figure yt is trying to encourage premium subscriptions

In a different topic, what are people experiences with handwriting / note taking apps? A few people at my work use the Samsung notes app, and some friends with iPads swear by the iOS equivalent. But is it actually easy to scribble notes and save them in a way they can be easily found again?

Ublock origin chrome extension works to block ads in a phone Chrome tab I'm pretty sure. Just run YouTube from Chrome, uninstall the YouTube app.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the_lion posted:

Nice and easy! Thanks.

Chrome also has ublock origin on mobile and it works flawlessly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

I didn't think Chrome had extensions on mobile?

I use a dns from adguard and it works for the internet, though it doesn't do anything for YouTube.

Once in a while it breaks and I need to turn it off and am reminded of the horror of unrestricted internet.

Oh my god I think you're right, sorry! I don't seem to get ads on my chrome mobile, I thought I had it installed. Maybe because I'm signed into the same chrome account that I have it installed to on desktop?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Android 12 here: how do I enable auto updates for all apps except 1? The Imgur app is complete garbage with ads now so I use a previous version without them but it keeps trying to update. If I disable auto updates globally almost every day I have to update some apps manually. If I enable auto updates I can't disable it for the Imgur app, only enable auto updates. If auto updates are on globally, that checkbox is still unchecked.

I noticed last week that I can't click the share button on stuff in my gallery and share it "to" imgur anymore. Is this because I have too new of a version? Are you able to do this still? It's just not in my list at all anymore for the share menu.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SpiderLink posted:

What's the easiest way to back up the actual audio files from a podcast? I use PocketCasts but all the episodes are a humble of characters so there's no way to keep an order. Open to installing a different app. Thanks!

The ultimately correct answer might be an RSS auto-download utility, but I feel like the app I use (podcast addict) can probably do it also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What on earth was Vanced? I never heard of it and I'm online constantly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flatluigi posted:

executive dysfunction is a fucker and sometimes you do actually need a thing to remind you that you haven't moved/hydrated/etc in a reasonable amount of time and tell you to get off your rear end and do it

Wouldn't the same executive dysfunction just tell you to clear/silence the app notification?

e: for content, AsciiCam is a great little app and does what it sounds like.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 5, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

As someone with ADHD, it's incredibly aggravating to have random strangers implicitly or explicitly demand I justify to them exactly how coping strategies work and what my experience is like. Like, I reflexively started typing a super-angry post before getting a grip on remembering that you, not being me, haven't had people ask the same handful of questions over and over for your entire life.

The short answer to your question is: it depends.

Sorry if you're offended. Feel free to write an angry post or even a super angry one if it feels good and also answers the question. I'm legit curious what the difference is because, for example, if I'm laying in bed and I don't want to get up, and I know I'm late for whatever, and my alarm goes off, it doesn't change my knowledge of being late and therefore I just turn it off and continue what I had intended on which is to lay there. If I'm already thirsty and my phone dings and tells me to drink water, I'd close the notification and continue whatever I was doing because I've already made the implicit decision that I'd prefer to not go hydrate, if not the explicit. Is the reason the app might help because it's forcing you to make the explicit decision?

It's SA, most of us on here have MH issues of some variety myself included so think of this more as a journey of discovery and not a witch-hunt to make you atone for not drinking water. I get irritated when people post about how they have OCD because they like to line pencils up on their desk. Just trying to better understand the situation. Feel free to PM as I don't want to ruin people's day when they come here looking for sick apps like AsciiCam.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flatluigi posted:

executive dysfunction often manifests as doing nothing at all other than the thing you're doing at that exact second, even though your head is yelling at you to go do your laundry or eat some food or even go to the bathroom (at its worst). you know you have to do a thing, you WANT to go do the thing, but the connection that lets you go actually do the thing is busted until you can't delay anymore

taking the action to turn off a prompt telling you to do a thing means taking SOME action and sometimes that's enough, especially if the thing that's prompting you is annoying enough

Thanks, this makes sense. I guess it's more about disruption of a behavior loop.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

5er posted:

That latter part is what I'm after, I don't want to have to lug too much poo poo about; something that can collaborate with the tablet so I don't look like a jerk for having suggested it, would be ideal. I'll look into it. I don't think it had occurred to me initially because the idea of a barcode scanner seemed more appropriate for 'working at a supermarket' or something.

I work in healthcare informatics and we implemented scanners at every bedside, for example to scan the patient’s armband and the med being given to both ensure safety as well as inventory management and distribution stuff. It’s super far reaching and no longer the domain of supermarkets. Many of these devices scan QR as well as traditional barcodes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Not quite what you're asking but the lenovo smart clock can be had for very little these days and shouting at them to set an alarm before collapsing into bed is great

(well, whispering to not wake the mrs up anyway)

How is that different from asking your phone to set an alarm? Not being snobby just curious like I don't understand why someone would need a dedicated smart clock/alarm these days when we all sleep beside phones.

OP just... use the built in alarm clock in the phone?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sininu posted:

Yeah, I created them using events now. Thanks. Can I do bulk edits to calendar events? I'd like to put all the birthdays into another category.

Like someone else said above just start a new 'calendar' with the birthdays in it so you can turn that on and off like a layer imo.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone else been having this new issue with SwiftKey where sometimes the emoji button just disappears from the keyboard and them the button to open the number/symbol keyboard just expands to be twice as big?

It's only happened to me twice in recent memory (<= 1 month) but it's bigly annoying. Rebooting fixes the issue, but next time it happens hopefully I'll remember to try changing my keyboard to Gboard and back :thunk:

I have issues like that when I adjust screen resolution by turning on battery saver. Maybe something similar for you?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

I have an Asus touchscreen Chromebook that I would like to use like a whiteboard with an app that I can cast to a Chromecast. What's my best bet?

Probably just pointing the chromecast to one of the many online whiteboards that you can make private and pointing the chromebook at the same website.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

docbeard posted:

I get the same problem using Podcast Addict on a Pixel 3aXL and the recommended solution (to remove it from the phone's battery optimization) has never worked. I'm probably gonna get a new phone soon anyway so I probably won't bother setting something new up til then. I'll keep AntennaPod in mind.

I have podcast addict without adjusting the phone battery optimization or whatever, on a samsung s9+, and it works flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

forest spirit posted:

I've only used pocketcasts.

besides dialogue boost and the thing that cuts out dead air, what goes into choosing a podcast app? I feel like if I wasn't set in my ways I would have started using Spotify because I'm already paying for the music

Yeah I WFH these days so I'm not listening to podcasts as much but:

• The things you mentioned - cutting out dead air mostly for me
  • File handling - ability to customize how many episodes to keep downloaded, when to delete old episodes, whether you can choose to have it download older episodes first (when you discover an older podcast) or newer ones, etc
  • How it plays with the android UI/OS when it comes to pausing - does it stay around so you can unpause, does the OS dismiss it, etc
  • Control over when it downloads new episodes - on WiFi only? LTE?
  • How it presents your podcasts - time from opening the app to starting a podcast
  • How easy it is to search within the app for new podcasts

That's I think the just of it for me. Podcast addict ticks all these boxes for me but I probably spend maybe 30 min a day on average listening to them compared to commuting when it would be several hours a day sometimes.