Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I hate to admit that I use Snapchat, but: Is Snapchat running slow as gently caress for anyone else, particularly on a Nexus 5X? Lags when you open it, lags updating stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Stock Android has a lovely selection of ringtones/alarms. Is there a recommended app for easily downloading other tones?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Syrinxx posted:

Well now that Pushbullet is a mother fucker of a company who is going subscription instead of being a paid app, is there a decent alternative? I just want to SMS from my computer, and PBs 100 message limit is ridiculous.

MightyText is OK.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Honestly if Google just built a MightyText-like functionality into Messenger and made a messenger.google.com page or Chrome extension or whatever for it, I'd be happy. I don't need a dedicated IM/video chat service.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I've been getting at least one survey a week for about a month or two now, but only on my tablet and they're always the "which of these places have you been to" survey, none of which are places I've been too (though now and then there's a place I pass on my way home).

I'll take the free money but it's really weird.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Three Olives posted:

OK I somehow just stumbled onto the YouTube Music app that I downloaded forever ago and holy shitballs it is good, better than Pandora.

Google Play All Access has to be one of the best values in subscription service, I would give up Netflix and Hulu before All Access and I'm a cord cutter.

What makes the YouTube Music app better than the Google Music app?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I recently made a shared collection through Google Photos of shots from a trip that included some photo spheres. It seems like the people I've shared the collection with can't view the spheres, it keeps saying that's the sphere failed to load. Anyone else run into this?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So I think I'm going to switch over to BeyondPod from PocketCasts because BP supports paid podcasts, but I don't see a setting for cutting out silences like PocketCasts has. Am I missing it or do they not have such a feature?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

flatluigi posted:

PocketCasts supports paid podcasts, I'm following quite a few premium ones.

I know they sort-of do if you use the login:password@feed format but every time I've tried to use it, it crashes the app and I never got a response back from them about it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I always forget that Now on Tap exists. When I do remember and I use it it's great but my brain just actively refuses to store the data that this feature is there.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Speaking of Hangouts, what advantages is the service going to have when (if?) RCS becomes A Thing in the States? My understanding is that RCS is going to allow video chat, read receipts, smarter group messages, etc. Other than Hangouts' integration with Google allowing them to archive your conversation I don't see a ton of reason to keep using it.

Now, I say this as someone who never was able to use Hangouts to it's full potential because all the Android users I know make faces at the idea of using a messenger that isn't SMS or Facebook.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
A 3rd app for...oh for Christ's sake. Google Messenger works great, just loving roll it into that. :psyduck:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
What's the status of this dumb bug in Gmail where notifications don't get delivered? Last I heard it was something there were fixing server-side, and that was a few weeks back. I'm still not getting notifications reliably though, sometimes I'll get one or two but often I have to open the app to get it to sync. Are they still working on this or what.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Uthor posted:

Is there an easy, non-root way to get my phone to turn down its ringer volume when I get to work and turn it back up when I leave? Location based would be best, but creating a time based rule would be acceptable. I don't want my phone to go silent, I just don't need it blaring at full volume when other people are working.

Llama was my go-to for easy automation rules like that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Speaking of streaming and music, what exactly does GPM download when you tell it to download a radio station? Does it just download the first few tracks of the 'playlist' it makes, does it refresh what it downloads now and then, etc.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So Google went and further integrated Google Now reminders into Calendar; there's now a layer on the web side of Calendar for Reminders and it knocks off Tasks. If you want to see your Tasks you have to click the little arrow next to the Reminder layer label and tell it to switch.

I haven't used Tasks in forever but I know folks around here do, so, heads up.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Uthor posted:

I got super annoyed with Google Maps yesterday. I decided to go for a road trip. GMaps gave me two routes: fast but boring and long but scenic. I chose the long route and set out. Instead of driving through town to the start of the scenic road, I took some fun roads around the perimeter. Every time I ignored a turn, GMaps would recalculate the route, but aim me toward the fast one and I had to reselect the long one.

Once I got onto the scenic road, every few minutes I got a pop up asking if I wanted to reroute myself to the fast road. No! I picked this one specifically!

Yeah, this has been my primary complain about Maps since the beginning of time. Once it decides that this is the Holy Route That Thou Shalt Take, it will do everything in it's power to put you on that route no matter how many times you re-route or ignore it.

There are two paths to get to a nearby town that I have to go to a lot, and I prefer the 2nd, slower route because there's less merging and traffic. Despite me taking this route for years, and always ignoring Google or re-routing it, to this day it will loving try as hard as it can to get me onto the first route until there's no choice left but to go with my selection.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Unrelated to Google Maps: I got the Viewmaster VR kit for Cardboard. What are some cool VR apps to use with it?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Drunk Tomato posted:

Why do you need Google maps for a route you take often, though? I think Google maps is there as a way to route people from point a to point b as fast as possible, especially when they are in unfamiliar territory.

I'm a service tech for a company and so I know all the general routes, i.e. how to get from Town A to Town B, but I don't know all the side roads and whatnot by heart. So what I tend to do is enter my destination and then go the way I know until I'm close, and then let the GPS take over from there so I don't have to pull over and then enter the address, or worse be That rear end in a top hat who's fiddling with my phone as I'm driving.

It was a real problem during most of 2013 as my area is basically what was Ground Zero for Hurricane Sandy, so a lot of roads were kind of not there anymore and Google didn't know yet, so I was taking a lot of alternate routes that I knew. Obviously, that's a extreme circumstance but whatevs.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

XIII posted:

Just stopping in to say I loving hate the new Google apps icons.

Yeah I'm not a fan either, but whatever. They'll just change them again in a year anyhow.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Podcasts in Google Play Music is going live. It's already up on the web side, and it's rolling out on the app side (to US and Canada). https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/welcome-to-google-play-music-podcast.html

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I've got the new app and still no podcasts. Flip the fuckin' switch, Google.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Dark Sky is pretty lacking compared to Weather Timeline. Also they seem to want $2.99 a year for features like "widgets". Not that that's bank-breaking, but I'd rather pay more up front and not have yet another recurring charge in my life, even such a small one.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Question re: Google Play Music gifting: If I gift a subscription to someone, do they need to manually cancel it themselves when the time comes so it won't rollover and charge them? I assume this won't be an issue, since the initial charge will be on my card and not theirs.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Has there been any more word about what the gently caress Google is doing with Allo/Duo/Hangouts/Messenger? I am still perplexed over why Allo/Duo need to exist, UNLESS Hangouts is going away.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
If/when RCS becomes the messaging standard, wouldn't that likely eliminate a lot of the need for a "IM" client like Hangouts anyhow?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
You know, I love Google Music, but the stations feature really needs some work.

First of all, the names and themes of the stations are sometimes incredibly obtuse. Like, I listen to a lot of electronic stuff and I'd much rather have stations based around all the sub-genres. Instead, I get stations with names like "Code Your Face Off". What the gently caress.

Then, it seems that Google sometimes changes the names of the stations, but the app doesn't update the names if you've previously listened to them. For example, I saved "Mellow Electronica" to my library, but if you actually go into the station the name changes to "Chill Electronica". "Electronic Study: Ambient" changed to "Ambient for Studying". I was going crazy, thinking these were all different stations, some of which I didn't pick, until I realized the name was just different in some spots.

Google is something else sometimes.

Uthor posted:

I started moving some of my Evernote notes to Google Keep. Is there a way to create a home screen shortcut to specific notes? I'd love to tap once and get directly into my groceries list.

Keep is a pretty fast app compared to Evernote, so it may not be that big of a deal to me.

Not really, the best you could do is make a note label for, let's say, shopping, and then apply that to your grocery list. Then when you go to put the big widget down on the desktop you can choose what labels to show, and pick "shopping". It's not perfect but it's probably the closest you'll get.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Montalvo posted:

I tried out a whole bunch of shopping list apps but Google Keep is definitely the simplest and the best. If you create a note called 'Shopping list' on it, you can add shopping items with a voice command: "OK Google; add milk to shopping list." It's delightful.

If that ends up working with Google Home that will be the loving bee's knees.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Uthor posted:

Well, I haven't found any automatic sorting, but I found that you can change the view into a column of cards and then manually sort that way. That at least lets me put my groceries list at the top.

IIRC there's an update coming at some point that will let you pin lists to the top, too.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Duo is finally starting to roll out. According to AP, Hangouts is going to be transitioned into more of an enterprise service. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/16/google-planning-focus-hangouts-business-consumers-allo-duo-release/

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
The problem with Allo and Duo is going to be the same problem Hangouts has, which is they're only good if most of the people you talk to are willing to download and use them. Like 90% of my social circle is on Android, but no one would use Hangouts, even when it came pre-installed because SMS worked fine for them and what is this green app thing.

Then Google Messenger came out and several of them switched from their stock SMS app to that. I don't know, maybe I just have weird friends.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Agoat posted:

If Allo has SMS it'll be perfect for me.

I'm pretty sure Google came right out and said 'no' to SMS.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So where are we these days in terms of what Google+ has it's fingers in? I know Google has been breaking a lot of stuff out of it but if I kill my Google+ profile, will I be losing any data? Their support page on it is kind of vague.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Allo made little to no sense when it was announced and now that it's out it seems to make even less sense.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
The infuriating thing is that Google Messenger + Mighty Text create essentially the perfect solultion for my use case (everyone I know uses SMS/iMessage, the Android users don't even want to gently caress with Hangouts), all I really want is:

1) To have the "sync to all devices" functionality baked in so I don't have to have one more app on the phone
2) To have a way to loving opt out of group messages

The first of those things is solved, Google just won't implement it. The second is just a shortcoming of SMS. So goddamn close.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Looten Plunder posted:

Is Hangouts the only SMS App that has a desktop client that allows you to write/reply to SMS's using your PC? I currently use Textra and/or Google Messenger.

My colleague has his iPhone hooked up to his Mac with an MSN Messenger type interface with all of his conversations and receives pop up notifications and what-not. I'm jealous.

My experience with Hangouts/G-Chat was like 2 years ago and it was an ugly as hell tiny chat interface that was embedded within my gmail page when I had it open.

MightyText. Install the app on your phone, and the extension on Chrome. You'll get popups for your SMS, and you can view/respond to all your threads from your PC. You can still use your messenger app of choice on the phone, the MightyText app is only there to capture incoming SMS. I've used it for years, it's solid.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

LastInLine posted:

Also with Google dollars why would you ever worry about paying for apps? I have like $100 just sitting there.

MightyText is a $40 a year sub if you want all the bells and whistles and unlimited replies, it's not just 'buy the app'.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I'm not sure if this question is better for here or the Wear thread, but I'll start here:

I'm starting to use my 1st gen 360 again after a long hiatus. I want to use the pedometer and Google Fit, but I do no want my phone counting steps at all. Is there a way to set it up like that, or to know that it is set up like that?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Slo-mo on my 5x works great as well. I've got more dumb videos of my brother's dumb dog jumping into the air to catch things then I know what to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So the new Messenger update had some stuff in the code indicating RCS was near. So near, in fact, that some users are getting prompts to actually activate it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/03/rcs-going-live-google-messenger-users-enabling-enhanced-features-sms/