Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

DemonMage posted:

Haven't had any issues myself. But what's the new hotness in alarm apps LastInLine?

I've been using Sleep as Android for a while and love it. It's regularly updated, ties with my smart lighting system, tracks sleep via my watch and/or sonar, has multiple alarms and everything else one could want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Scudworth posted:

Textra is beautiful

I have tried many third party apps, but keep coming back to Hangouts simply because I like texting from my computer. I tried the Pushbullet app and found the web interface to be really lacking. Any other suggestions?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

grvm posted:

I download episodes and then close the app and they're gone?

Whoa, same thing is happening with pocketcasts to me too. Seems to be when I'm downloading on LTE, not WiFi.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

I just switched away from stock Android to TouchWiz and wonder if there's an easy way to disable the Samsung apps when I prefer the Google Verizon (calendar, clock etc).

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

LastInLine posted:

And the best about that is that AMdroid has a history page to see what happened

I've been using Sleep as Android for years, one of my favorite features is that it controls my smart lights and gradually brightens my room with the alarm, dimming again when I snooze. Does AMdroid have light control?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't as far as I can tell. I sleep in daylight so I never considered that necessary and therefore never looked into it much but isn't that something any alarm app can do with enough IFTTT work?

I mean maybe? It's baked in further than just gradual light/auto dim on snooze. There's a nightlight function in the app, and it can change your lighting 8* hours before your alarm is set to go off to remind you it's time to sleep. Figuring out how to do all that in IFTTT seems like a lot of work when Sleep as Android has its covered. Probably will just stay with what I know, thanks for the info.

*You set your needed sleep time.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

G-Spot Run posted:

it doesn't cook eggs

Unacceptable.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

deong posted:

Just reply with unsubscribe till they get the hint

UNSUBSCRIBE.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Is there a new hotness for SMS apps that work well on Android 11? Mood is kind of loving me over with notifications not coming through and it might be time to switch.

I switched over to Signal earlier in the year. It handles SMS or if both parties are on signal, encrypted sms. Decent ux, does everything I want a sms app to do

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Joink posted:

What's the best app for plant ID? I.E. I take a picture and the app tells me what plant it is.

Leaf snap works really well

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

I've got a random question, hopefully this is the right spot for it!

So I put together a bigass playlist of "ancient background videos", like YouTube channels of people setting up aquariums, old tool restoration, scenery dash cams, etc. I was hoping to use my PS4, with the YouTube app, to just have them on as ambient background videos, and to use my Android phone as the remote, since I can do that easily enough.

The problem I'm running in to, is that on my phone one I pair it and my PS4, is that it doesn't randomize the videos. I start playing the playlist by selecting the Random button, but... it doesn't work. It starts at the top of the playlist and just works through the list downwards. Any advice?

I don't have any suggestions, but would love to see this playlist if it's possible to share anonymously.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Ya I'm also a long time Android user, since the Motorola Droid X, and about to pop over to the other side. Between privacy concerns with google, the aforementioned project killing nature of the ecosystem, and general frustration I'm just about done.

Good to hear other people feel similarly.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

My guy feeling is I'll love iMessage and Apple Pay, and hate having to use iTunes on Windows and Safari on my phone and my inability to text from my desktop and a bunch of other stuff.

Pretty sure iMessage has a desktop or web client. I'm a Spotify user, so itunes is w.e. for me.

Safari will be annoying. Knowing that the apps I use will have continued support won't be annoying.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Are there any apps that make mobile web less hell to navigate? Between interstitial ads, popups, banners, and videos I'm feeling like 2005 on desktop again.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Using nextdns or something similar alleviates a lot of that at least.

I was using some DNS before and it's great, but I had a noticable lag in loading almost all sites, almost 56k levels of delay. Is that par for the course?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

sass menagerie posted:

Isn’t that what thirst does?

Is that on android or just iOS?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Tamba posted:

Sleep as Android

Seconded, but with the caveat that there's been a lot of feature bloat added around a strong core.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Just picked up the s8 tab, mostly as a drawing machine. Any good apps specifically good on tablets I might check out?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I figured. Oh well.

How Boomer-proof are these?

Lol Whatsapp groups have spread brain worms across the world lmfao facebook gottem again

Whatsapp is the opposite of boomerproof, it's so easy to use that literally everyone outside certain Western nations use it

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Keep rocks. It keeps rocking. I hope they never take it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

A collaborative keep note is my group chat.