Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Solid File Explorer is 99c to unlock today, half of the regular price. For those who are still suffering the sting of ES File Explorer turning to crap, this is a pretty decent replacement/alternative.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah ES File Explorer is pretty awful as of a couple of years ago. The core functionality is there but all of the plugins serve ads and notifications.

If you're grognard enough, there's Total Commander for android, which has been a PC file explorer for a long time:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander

It requires plugins for some stuff as well but they're by the same guy and don't have ads.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

My dudes, have you heard of this thing called the cloud? It's all the rage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LifeLynx posted:

It's on silent 99% of the time like most people's. Is there a way so my calls always come on at a higher volume ring? Maybe Tasker?

It's not an app but if you get one of those Tile bluetooth trackers for your keys you can make your phone make noise by clicking on the tile as well as vice-versa. My elderly father regularly "loses" his keys, wallet, and phone so we've got a Tile on his keys, a slim one in his wallet and we can use them to find his phone. I also shared the tiles to the app on my phone so I can find them, too. Fair warning, the Tile devices are made to be replaced every year for like $20 each (less if you buy a multipack) so they super seal them up with the battery.

Almost every time we've had to find something of his it's in a coat or pants pocket he forgot about, but he's lost car keys before and those are $300+ to get replaced at the dealership so it seems like the Tile giving us even a chance of recovering them makes it worthwhile.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

My 70 year old aunt messaged me on whatsapp out of the blue and proudly told me her other geriatric friends had told her about it and she set it up all by her lonesome on a piece of poo poo Android phone that came bundled with her mobile plan.

Can't imagine it happening with Telegram which I've never even loving heard of, but maybe it's a US thing.

Then again, she also has a Facebook so I should probably sever.

Nah, facebook is entirely for the elderly to keep track of their relatives.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redeyes posted:

Brave browser my men.

Let's not install the weirdo cryptocurrency browser. Mobile firefox lets you use the same add-ons as the desktop version so you can get ublock origin and https everywhere and all the good ones.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Incessant Excess posted:

Sorry I should have been more specific, I mean something that lets me remote into a phone to help troubleshoot it for relatives for example.

Teamviewer quicksupport works for some phones, but not all.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

seravid posted:

Can I set up an old phone (OG Pixel) to record video indefinitely? At least six hours, connected to a powerbank. Low-res is fine and it would only have to record to its internal memory.

I only need it for a couple days, nothing long-term, which is why I'd very much like to avoid having to buy a proper camera.

I've used this app for that in the past:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en_US

It's been a couple of years so I can go by the mostly positive ratings that indicate it hasn't become garbage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redeyes posted:

I will never apple. Id rather bake my own than deal with losing my soul.

The pinephone is going to have another preorder this month and runs https://postmarketos.org/ so it's time for linux on your phone-top.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It hates everything.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you some sort of Motorola product tester or what? :pwn:

edit: it doesn't hate my Note 9 :smug:

I just have a lot of moto g and moto e's from doing the get-paid-to sites a few years back. Stuff like perk or swagbucks or whatever they were selling advertisers to play videos on at the time. Most of them are defunct or don't pay well enough to keep most of the phone farm on now, but there are a couple of sites left that pay a little bit. Over time every phone paid for itself multiple times over but I'd no longer recommend doing it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Max Coveri posted:

Anyone use this Twitch client called Twire?

I used it for a bit on my piece of crap Android 4.4 tv without Google services until a later release broke the app - staying with the latest working release worked decently enough until I lost that apk, and now I can't seem to find that release anywhere. The source code and tarball for that release are still available, but I don't know poo poo about programming and getting a new TV is not an option.

It's on F-Droid as "Version 2.9.2 (522) suggested Added on 2020-12-24" which I haven't heard anything particularly negative about as a third party apk site for devices with no play store. I'm not sure if that's the version you're having problems with, though:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.perflyst.twire/

The twire github links to F-Droid as a place to get it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Saukkis posted:

Oh yeah, it does have the "Free up device storage", but of course his Google Drive has been filled by photos since forever and he has enough money problems without adding upgrading Drive storage, I would probably need to pay it. To make this solution work conveniently it would probably need the 2TB subscription to have room for his full photo collection, I would loath to pay that much just to solve this silly problem. I might be willing to set up a Nextcloud server, but I haven't seen evidence the Android clients can do the automatic moving instead of normal syncing.

I solved the issue for my dad doing the same kind of stuff by getting the basic google one subscription. It's 1tb and $20/year. If it had cost more I'd have done some tedious bullshit with a Pixel 1 as an in-between file uploader due to the unlimited google photos uploads they have.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

According to their website the $20/year plan is only 100GB. You might have got an earlier pricing tier?

https://one.google.com/about

I guess so or I just misremembered, I just walked him through it because he was hitting his 15GB free tier cap all of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MikeJF posted:

What's the best way for me to remote assist my sister's phone in a different city?

Probably anydesk.