Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I use Deliveries Package Tracker which does all the things you are looking for AFAIK. I'm a paid subscriber so I can have it connected to my Amazon account and automatically pull orders.

AfterShip is another option, more minimal and much less customization but works well all the same.

TODO.txt has an Android version but I'd personally use Google Keep for something like that.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

wolfbiker posted:

I use that app but have to add stuff manually. You're saying there's a way to have Amazon orders automatically show up there without doing anything? I have the paid version.

Yup, go to Settings > Synchronisation > External. Apparently it doesn't work with 2FA which is a bummer but its very convenient.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

LastInLine posted:

My wife wants to know what everyone uses for tracking water consumption. I found a few that look okay but I'm sure people here already know the best ones.

This is the best no-BS (ads, need to sign in, etc.) one I could find.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

What's a good budgeting/financial tracking app that isn't Mint or YNAB? Looking for something clean that supports manual entry transactions and has decent stat breakdowns and stuff.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 24, 2018

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a calender app that offers the following:

-support for Google Calendar
-dark mode
-a more compact widget than Google Calendar

Business Calendar 2 is smartly built and offers these things. Be prepared to pay a few bucks for some of these features, though.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Speaking of Waze, what are the top reasons to use Waze over Google Maps? And vice-versa, what does Google Maps excel at over Waze?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

beerinator posted:

They can use the Dark Sky API until the end of 2021 so they have time. They've posted on twitter a couple of times that they're trying out other weather sources. Hopefully something will come through to replace in a year and a half.

That's good news. If anyone is looking for a nice clean weather app that uses DarkSky API and don't mind that it will ostensibly be useless in 2 years once the API collapses (or hopefully updated) then check out Forecaster.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

hooah posted:

This would be great if it had an ongoing notification for current conditions like most other weather apps do. As it is, it's just pretty good.

Eh, for my use case I think the widget covers that well enough. I guess it's location-dependent but where I live I don't need to know the weather on a moment to moment basis most of the time.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

KinkyJohn posted:

So now that google is killing another app which seemed to be perfectly fine, which music streaming service do you recommend instead of Google Play Music? I’ve only been using this and nothing else so I don’t know if spotify or the likes are better

I converted from GPM to Spotify about a year ago when they offered a free trial for a few months. I like Spotify much better, it feels like it was built to actually be used instead of built to check "music streaming app" off Google's list. I didn't expect to enjoy the social aspect as much as I do; pretty much all my friends are on it and it is a joy to see what they are listening to and explore publically curated playlists, etc.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Gallery Go (by Google)

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I use Aegis, free and open source and to the point.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

What to-do app is recommended? Currently using Todoist but I didn't know if there was something better (on a free tier) out there.

For very simple noting and checking I've found Google Tasks to be more than adequate. Not sure what kind of advanced features you need though.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm looking for an app that will allow pushing files to an Android device from a computer over the network. I don't care if it's FTP, SMB, NFS, literally anything would work, I just want the ability to start a network share server on an android device, and upload files to it on one computer, then download them on another computer somewhere else. I realize this is a weird dumb request, but does anybody have any recommendations?

Not sure if this is the ideal solution but Solid Explorer can start an FTP server over the local network from your phone. And it's just a solid file explorer to boot though I think the built in file explorer is workable on most phones nowadays so.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

the_lion posted:

What's the best mp3 player app these days?
I don't mind if I have to pay for it, I just want to set up a simple playlist.

(Yes I have Spotify, but I'm thinking of exiting their ecosystem).

May I ask why you wish to exit Spotify? I can't imagine going back to fiddling with downloading, organizing, and moving music.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Seconding Today Weather, quite a clean interface and can customize sources from a bunch of options.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Never used it, but I have flirted with trying Niagara Launcher as an uber minimal launcher, could be fun.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

CLAM DOWN posted:

I used to use Nova a lot and that sucks. But I got tired of all the issues/bugs on Pixels and just use the default google launcher these days. Just can't be bothered to janitor my phone anymore.

Yeah this. Stock launchers have come a long way and it was really freeing to just have something work "well enough" out of the box tbh.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Inceltown posted:

I'm going the opposite direction and got Olauncher. Minimal AF as they say. Icons and widgets are for babies who don't have the fine motor skills to click on things yet. It will probably annoy me to death in a day or two but not having any customisation options at all really takes the setup time out of a new launcher.

Me likey this. Have been considering going with Niagara forever. Do you know how they compare if you've used em both?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

nielsm posted:

Honestly, I'm after something with less features than Google Photos. I can't remember last time I needed anything more than cropping and perhaps scaling down a screenshot or photo for posting on Discord.
My ideal flow would be something like opening the app immediately gives me the 6 latest pictures on the device, pressing one immediately opens it for cropping, and pressing the Save button on that gives a list of a few options for saving at original resolution or a few predefined smaller sizes.
Maybe I should just use this as an opportunity to learn to make Android apps.

Gallery Go by Google is what you want. A lightweight gallery app that is able to crop images and a few other goodies.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Incessant Excess posted:

I have an issue with my password manager, Bitwarden, on a P6P running Android 13. It often happens I'll open a login screen and the keyboard pops up without the button to enter login details through Bitwarden. I then have to switch to the app drawer and open Bitwarden manually, once it's among the active apps I can (usually) switch back to the login screen and enter my login details through Bitwarden. I've already turned off battery optimization for it, but still I'm often required to manually start the app before I'm able to use it. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a way to keep this from happening?

I'm on older Android so I'm not sure how it may have changed but have you tried allowing Bitwarden to be the auto-fill service on the device?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

School of How posted:

Does anyone know of an app I can use to navigate off road? Where I live there are tons of dirt roads that go off into the wilderness that are not mapped in the google maps system so I can't use google maps for navigation. I can see the roads clearly in google earth, but they are just not in the system. These roads go all over the place and make a ton of intersections with other roads and of course there are no road signs anywhere.

What I want to be able to do is just make a line in google earth where I want to go, and then export that line from google earth in KML format, and then import that KML file into some navigation app on my phone. When I want to make my trip, I open the app, and it just simply tells me when my GPS location diverges from that line. This isn't something that should be so obscure, yet I can't find a single app that does this.

Have you checked if OpenStreetMap has them? If so, I forgot what the best available app for using those maps is called but it should be pretty easy to find.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Guys just listen to the ads you'll be OK. People aren't doing good podcasts for free.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

field balm posted:

OK I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I've got a trip coming up and I'd like to be able to have some sort of wiki like thing where I can have different pages for different cities and then on those pages have text and inline images (loads of screenshots off instagram, web pages etc). Probably some sort of note app that let's you include images?

I guess I could just chuck the screenshots in folders but I'd like to be able to annotate etc as well.

Notion would be good for this as well, although no offline support might be a deal breaker while traveling (no data access)

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Honestly I've gone back to default OnePlus Launcher after a while on Action Launcher 2/Nova. Most of the best features from third party launchers have trickled down into first party launchers by now and it does everything I need it to without me getting obsessive about setting it up. Something something using your phone instead of endlessly tinkering with it; maybe that's just my age talking.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Lemniscate Blue posted:

1) Are there any that tie into Facebook Messenger so I can use their system without putting their actual Messenger app on my phone? I have an account to communicate with a few people who still use that as their primary social media, but I haaaaate their app. It would be useful to be able to message those folks on the go. Right now I only do so when at an actual computer.

Try Messenger Lite for a Messenger that is not quite as bloated.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

YggiDee posted:

What the good gallery apps these days? I don't want the cloud or whatever I just want something that lets me look at my 30k saved images, crop them and send them to Discord or Email or whatever. I was using Piktures but the last update hosed it up so I can't upload images to Discord which is 30% what I had it for.

Google Gallery

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Uthor posted:

I have a Pixel 4a and it's not on my phone...

I hate how Google's photo apps don't let you see ALL the images on your device by default. I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't want to be limited to photos I've taken and having to go through menus and folders to find all the random downloads. Most of that stuff is photos from other people that I saved for quick access.

Gallery does this by default

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

taiyoko posted:

I've been using simple gallery pro. Very needs suiting for me.

I was about to get angry at this app based on the name alone until I saw it's on F-droid

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Uthor posted:

I think this was brought up earlier this year, but what's a good launcher these days? I'm having a cosmetic bug with my wallpaper in Nova and my phone says it hasn't updated in over a year (but the Play Store says it updated recently?).

I like to:
-Remove the search bar
-Change the spacing of my icons on my home screen
-Hide icon/app name labels on my home screen
-Hide apps and make folders in my app drawer

The stock one, if you don't need anything fancy. Niagara if you want a really minimalistic one.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

bull3964 posted:

Google Chat has been getting a lot of nice enhancements lately for those that use it. It's the primary means it's communication in my friend group.

They added threaded responses to Spaces a bit ago, but now they added the ability to quote along with the ability to edit it delete you own responses in all chats. Small things I know, but nice quality of life stuff.

What actually got you all to switch over from whatever you were using before? Feel like it's hard to find a good enough reason with texting apps to get people to actually start using another service, even if it's like technically superior or whatever.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I thought twitter effectively killed third party apps with their API token limits and so on?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Kheldarn posted:

My wife and I have a shared note in Google Keep for various reminders and such, but it seems that Keep doesn't send a notification when said note is updated.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or should we use another app (and if so, which one)?

Might be a dumb answer but would creating a new shared note produce a notification? Maybe just spread your notes out more if so

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Ads on a remote app is just
:bighow:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Just gonna mention Business Calendar 2 as the no-frills calendar app, or at least it was like a decade ago lol.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Interesting how it supposedly works on apps which aren't listed on the store anymore? But yea I don't really trust apps with any kind of complexity which haven't been updated in 2+ years.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Feral Integral posted:

Is there a way to strikethrough on keep notes? Its a good app for todo lists but I can't cross my items out. Any recs for a similar app that can do this? Evernote seems commercial and bloated, I want something basic

You can "add checkboxes" to make something a proper to do list. Check the options at the bottom of the screen as you are making a new note.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Kheldarn posted:

Speaking of, what's everyone using for weather widgets these days?

I use Today Weather with the Ongoing Notification feature. Don't need weather info constantly on my homepage, just what's going on now in the notification shade and a one-off notification for the expected conditions today.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Uthor posted:

I didn't know this existed! Been using their widget forever. Playing with it now, may end up getting rid of the widget.

The only thing I don't like is it seems like I need to have an icon always showing up next to my clock. Don't see a way to toggle that off.

Yes, I believe that is now a requirement for having an ongoing notification in Android, so no way to work around that.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

With my phone's (S22) latest update, Swype has stopped working, which has led me to discover that it was discontinued a while back.

What's a good replacement? My favourite aspects of Swype were the swiping itself, and the ability to capitalise by swiping up off the top of the screen after the letter in question, though I'd accept losing the latter ability for a generally good swiping type keyboard.

Swiftkey looks like a good bet maybe?

When's the last time you used Gboard (the default google keyboard, at least on most phones). It's great and handles swiping well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Just tried Swiftkeys and Gboard out and both seem good. As per above, one thing I liked in Swype was the ability to manually capitalise a letter by swiping it then swiping off the top of the keyboard. That doesn't work on Swiftkeys or Gboard but do either have an equivalent function, acheived differently?

Long press the Shift key. Drag your finger to any letter and release. Should work. I think you can also start a swipe on the shift key or something?