Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is definitely not the answer you're looking for, but you could always just switch to Google Music from Spotify. It works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

That's definitely something I'm considering. I'm assuming the libraries are similar enough?

It has everything I want to listen to personally. Besides some really obscure SoundCloud artists, but I just go to SoundCloud for that. (SoundCloud also owns)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Duggler posted:

Tapet is pretty drat great, I might even fork up the $5 for premium if the bonus patterns look good.

Not sure if it was recommended here but, thank you to whoever put me into this app.

Buy it, it's worth it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

How do Live Wallpapers not use much battery and CPU? Is it because they're videos instead?

Neither, they're generated live. You might not think it's the case, but that is in fact far less intensive of a process than GIFS or videos. (or can be, if done right)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wrecking Ball posted:

I am a straight woman in a long term relationship. I have my boss and co-workers in my phone contacts. I don't want to send the wrong things to the wrong people?

maybe try looking at the contact name before pressing send on an inappropriate text?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

THF13 posted:

I know it gets repeated religiously that you don't need to close apps on Android, but I really think there are exceptions. Mostly with games and occasionally with apps that are bugging out in some way. Here's a recent example.

There's nothing that should need to run at all with that game unless it's in the foreground. The battery life drains extremely quickly if I do not "close" the app by swiping it away from recent apps. If I swipe the app away or just don't launch it in the first place the battery life is a lot better.

For simple Android apps that mantra is true, but apps that use the NDK (c++) have to be far more explicit with how the CPU is managed and it's no small task. A very big portion of them fail to do this, which means it can still churn away like crazy when out of focus. This is possible with Java apps depending on how they're written, but is usually not the case, for those Android does a pretty good job of keeping them in line.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

vyst posted:

I don't think I've ever calibrated my compass

I never have either. Didn't even know it needed calibrating... I mean, it's a compass.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I appreciate the recommendation but apps already have or soon will have circular assets included so it'll come on its own eventually plus I'm not sure if I'll use Nova once I get my Pixel in a couple weeks.

That's very optimistic. I don't see why app devs would give a poo poo about supporting a weird one-off feature that Google randomly pushed in contrast to all their other design guidelines. Especially when only a tiny portion of users (like, probably a half a percent) will ever see it, and far less even will care.

That's speaking as an app dev. It's not even a note on my mile-long list of things I need or want to do.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TwistedNails posted:

Swiftkey is good but it's very similar to google keyboard there. It'll learn over time though and its better for swiping.

Swiftkey is very very very bad for swiping. Its suggestions suck super hard and it doesn't learn over time like the tapping does. It'll always give you the same recommendations even if you make the exact same correction to a bad prediction hundreds of times (which I have done, for a great many words).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TwistedNails posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree with your entire post. It has 2.1 million downloads and a rating of 4.5 of 5 stars on google play, it cannot be anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. The good thing for him is the keyboard is free for him to try it out, if he hates it like you do he can always uninstall it and try something else. I still think it is a good keyboard and I enjoy using it.

I'm speaking specifically about swiping. It's tap typing is fantastic and far better than anything else. But it is the worst swiping keyboard. I still use it because it's the best at tapping, but I just wish its swipe got a little love.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

wormil posted:

I'm looking for an adjustable strobe that will do 60hz.

Most of the apps are about syncing with music but I don't care about that, I want it for a stroboscope. I found one called LED Strobe that is what I want but only does 25hz. Also I searched the thread and nothing came up. There are a lot of strobe apps so going through them one at a time is taking forever. Hoping someone can narrow it down.

A 60hz strobe on a smartphone is the same as "always all white". Phone screens are 60hz. You would need a minimum of 120hz to do a 60hz strobe. Unless I'm misunderstanding and you want a 30hz strobe

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

wormil posted:

So you are saying it's impossible for a cell phone LED to strobe at 60hz?
Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe it doesn't matter but I want to strobe the LED on the back of the phone, not the screen.

Oh well that is a very different story. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but you might have to make an app for that yourself since it's a pretty specific request. Shouldn't be difficult.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

always be closing posted:

I have Fenix for Twitter, and I like it well enough, but it uses a lot of battery if I forget to close it. Any other recommendations?

Flamingo seems pretty okay. I uninstalled it in favor of Fenix but I don't remember exactly why. I think it handled links from other apps poorly or something.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Oh, hey, Google renamed Messenger to Android Messages for, I can only assume, reasons.

Meanwhile, Allo looks like it might be getting a desktop app.

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-allo-finally-getting-desktop-client

Keep loving that chicken Google, maybe if you bang rocks together long enough you'll figure messaging out.

It's completely baffling how incompetent their messaging teams are. They have the capability to create something way better than iMessage and they have for years, but they just.... Don't.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

No, it's yours for wanting to read the comments on news articles.

Ars has good comments

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

This bothers the poo poo out of me with no context. 98% of my friend chat happens over hangouts. If they want to make stuff like rooms exclusive to business accounts, fine, but I really want more details of what this new "coherent" direction means to non-business users.

Google can't be bothered to come up with a real replacement chat service, so this might result in my communications becoming even more scattered and less accessable.

Get all your friends to move to something else that isn't controlled by Google, it's all going to die or get destroyed at some point. Whatsapp, telegram, discord, whatever. They're all good and much more reliable than anything Google will ever make.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scudworth posted:

Google's removing/hiding features and then reintroducing them like they're new and special over and over again is some hosed up kind of corporate gaslighting.

This has been available for years if you were on G+. I'm looking at real-time locations for 20 of my google contacts on a map right now.

:psyduck:

It really is fascinating. They've had this capability for at least 5 years through various apps, it boggles the mind that it hasn't been part of Maps for years.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

Been trying to use Google photos. It seems to store stuff ok. But it hangs on 8 images waiting to upload. It never finishes. Also, it has an option to delete uploaded photos to free up space. It deleted "150" photos, but all of my photos are still on my local storage. What did this app actually do? What does it really do, and how can I hold it accountable? Is it really backing up my pictures or is it just flailing around?

I think my photos are on the cloud? Some of them? Maybe?

I've never had trouble with it deleting local copies personally. If you are unsure if they're safe in the cloud, you can open Google Photos in your browser.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Now that goog is ditching SMS what is a good all in one app that combines messenger and idk, skype text?

Like Trillian but good.

Whatsapp, Signal and Textra don't seem to be it, fb mess just does SMS and fb.

Am I missing something?

Nope. Messaging is fragmented to poo poo. I've resigned myself to having several installed constantly. To pick a favorite, it's definitely telegram, it's fabulous seamless in its cross platform capabilities and does extremely well embedding content of all types within the chat. I try to get people to use it, but of course it's as fragmented as everything else.

Maybe in another 10 years Google will finally make one that isn't poo poo. Probably not, though.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Has the Google app poo poo the bed for anyone else recently? My wife and I both have Samsung S7 Edge phones with the most recent version of Android our carrier will allow (7.0) and since upgrading the Google app has become unresponsive for us both. Not only is the search bar unresponsive (typing a query and hitting enter does nothing), but launching the app itself leads to a blank page with the Google logo and a perpetually spinning loading icon. People in various places recommend clearing the app's cache, but that hasn't solved the problem for either of us.

I've been having the same issue on my pixel. Restarting the phone fixed it, but it's pretty annoying. Not in any beta.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think they've been increasing nation-wide. I've talked to numerous people that say they've gotten an above-average number of spam calls over the last few months.

I can confirm this. I've been getting a bunch of calls from unknown numbers, but the curious thing is that when I answer the other end is completely silent and ends the call after 5 or 10 seconds. It's worth noting that Google's (new?) built in spam detection has flagged every single one successfully. I've only been answering because I get lots of calls from unknown numbers and I'm paranoid about it flagging a call that's not actually spam.

A couple years back I'd get the usual sales cold call spam that everyone knows, but I don't anymore. Now it's just eerie silence. If anyone knows what's up with that I'd love to hear more about it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

baka kaba posted:

It means a lot of redundant extra calls that never get a worker on them, which sucks for the people getting cold called, but lol if you think they care about messing you around for nothing

:shrug: that's what I'd think but theres been like 8 in a row silent and I haven't gotten real sales spam calls in a couple years. It's just really odd.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scudworth posted:

You put in your password once if that counts as loving around, the paid version syncs to google drive.
The only downside to Moonreader I've found in 5 years is that it makes google books look like a baby toy and you can't go back.

What exactly is it lacking? I've been using it for years and have never felt like I needed something that isn't there.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The pitiful features of allo aren't going to drag anyone from anything. The only people who use it are Google diehards and the small number of people they dragged with them. Everything else does everything better.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

peepsalot posted:

Why is google so bad at cameras?

counterpoint: the pixel

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

DemonMage posted:

Haven't had any issues myself. But what's the new hotness in alarm apps LastInLine?

AMdroid.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

peepsalot posted:

The phone is a 5X, which claims to have 1.8GB in the memory settings. The game uses about 250MB of that. Also its not that I'm losing game progress, I'm just tired of watching the loading screen after a quick task switch.

That's more likely the game than the phone.

peepsalot posted:

I wonder how much updates have bloated android over the years. LIke how much more RAM the base OS uses compared to when the 5X was originally released. Feels like planned obsolescence via software RAM bloat.

Memory bloat is a good thing in an OS. It allows important things to be kept in memory so they don't have to be reloaded. Android has gotten significantly faster over the years with optimization updates, not the other way around. The planned obsolescence with Android is just that phones don't get updates. Or they bootloop, in the case of yours.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Agoat posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what messaging app to use since Allo sucks.

Definitely telegram

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Working great for me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

Hoping to confirm I'm not crazy. I switched to Gboard from Swype because it had somehow become frustrating to use. Gboard has been okay except for this:

When I use Google's search app, the correction stripe above Gboard doesn't appear at all. There even appears to be space for it.

The correction stripe appears everywhere else, including right now typing into Awful.

Can anyone try Gboard in the Google search app to verify? Up to date Gboard and Google via Play Store on ATT Galaxy S7 edge Android 6.0.1

The same happens to me and it's one of the bigger reasons I can never manage switching to gboard

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

I like being able to delete a word swiping from the backspace button and selecting text with the spacebar in gboard but it's swiping is getting worse and worse and I'm ready to use something else now. Trying swype but I don't like it, gonna try swiftkey next

Swiftkey is good for tapping but absolutely terrible for swiping. I want to swipe with it but it's basically unusable.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tunga posted:

No support for Google Cast so still worthless.

how does amazon consistently have such terrible software? It's impressive how bad they are.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jewce posted:

I tried out asap launcher this morning and it was pretty cool, I guess. Only thing is, there are no icons for Google apps. Anyone else getting this? Is it because they just updated?

Also, I thought that paying would get you icon packs, not just the ability to load others you bought.

These couple issues caused me to ask for a refund, but I may unlock premium again cause the concept was pretty neat.

In terms of icon packs, are there any that are clear winners compared to the thousands I'm finding? The new Google icons are so loving ugly that I'm finally willing to pay for something better.

Nova Launcher + Materialistik

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

fadam posted:

What's the best Android phone optimizer? CCleaner?

Never ever install any app that claims to clean or optimize anything. 100% of them are either scams used to get permissions and thereby get access to your information or a vehicle for spamming ads.

If an app is such a mess that it needs to be optimized (which an optimizer would not actually do anyway), it should be uninstalled and never reinstalled again, because it sucks. The OS itself does not need any bullshit third-party optimization.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Ridiculously slow.

It's not slow anymore. It's x86 though so certain things won't work.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Adblocking does nothing for YouTube ads, rooted or otherwise

I use red nowadays too, but I'm 99% sure that ublock origin still blocks YouTube ads.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Humerus posted:

I never wanted to change my app icons before because I had concerns that some would be the new "custom" icons and the rest would look out of place.

Well Google has decided that all my icons will have different styles regardless so, recommendations for app icon packs that work with Nova Launcher and don't look hyper stylized? I liked the old icons for Google stuff before they decided to shove everything into a white circle, for reference.

I'm a really big fan of Materialistik

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I have to use a backup phone for a few days for [reasons], is there a good app to essentially clone apps and settings from my pixel to a 5X, without root?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

There might be, but what I would do would be to factory reset the 5x and then it will pull in all your apps and settings from The Cloud. (mostly at least, some apps apparently still don't use the google mechanism for backups. When I just did this it probably got 90% of my apps set right back up)

Wow, I hadn't used this for years, didn't know how much better it had gotten. It's downloading everything now, thanks for the suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol dude, $120/mo for 5GB.

canada isn't most of the world