Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I just want to rant a bit:
I opened the Google app today and noticed that the Upcoming tab (with the aggregated info from Maps and other poo poo) is no longer available and I'm happily informed by the app that I should switch to Assistant. Ok, I fire it up and... nope it still claims that it can't be run, since it doesn't support my native language. And I can't exactly switch to English because then it doesn't understand what the gently caress about my contacts, addresses, so the Assistant becomes mostly useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh no, yeah, plenty of alternative options like that, Firefox with uBlock Origin for another option. Just not Chrome. It's not required to delete or even disable the YouTube app to use any of the replacement apps suggested earlier. You can just reset the 'open with' defaults on it and just not use the app for anything. Or use it alongside the other app, say if you want to do some things while logged in, but do you regular ad free viewing in NewPipe (where logging in isn't even possible).

YouTube vanced has basically the same UI as the regular app (so you can login to your account), but it blocks adds, can also block sponsored content, can run video in the background. The only (IMO, I might have missed something) big thing you miss out versus Newpipe is that you can't download videos/audio.