Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Update to Google Opinion Rewards: Now available in Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unified Remote is on sale for $0.99 this weekend.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, so we know that ES File Explorer is now garbage. What's a good replacement? I don't care about root, because I'm not rooted, and I don't care about material design, because I find it ugly.

Also, webcast apps. Pfft! I don't have anything to do with webcasts. :smug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So does Pushbullet non-pro just not give desktop notifications at all now? I was under the impression that it would have notifications but didn't allow you to interact with them on the phone, but I'm not getting any at all anymore.

Pro doesn't start until tomorrow (December 1), so it should still work fine. I still get them, and am able to dismiss them. Have you checked Settings, to make sure nothing got changed?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I remember people posting that they had problems getting Google Maps/Now to recognize their home address as their, well, home address.

Android Police has an article telling how to manually assign any coordinates as your home or work address.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pushbullet now does remote files.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a good battery widget for UCCW or Zooper?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sendo posted:

Seems like push bullet are doing their best to put everyone off the service, I wasn't bothered by the subscription since I only used it to mirror notifications and push links between devices. However they've now started pushing advertisements as fake notifications, I've seen at least 3 times now on my desktop a legit notification come through and have a fake one immediately below it.

What version is your Windows client? Mine is v388, and I've never had that happen. I use it for the same reasons you do, so I don't have a Pro account.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

XIII posted:

Can you transfer files between two devices over wifi with Solid Explorer like you can with ES? It's not something I use that often, but, when I do, it's pretty handy. I don't need a file manager often, so I've still got ES installed, but I've considered switching.

EDIT: gently caress it, I just went ahead and bought it. It's pretty clearly better designed and worth a dollar. I basically only transfer large amounts of files between devices when I upgrade phones, so I'm not sure why I even cared.

They have an FTP Server Plugin for it:

This is the FTP Server plugin for Solid Explorer 2.0.

Features:
- remotely manage files on your device from your PC or even another phone/tablet
- configurable shared directories and port number
- password protected or anonymous access
- works in LAN and Access Point mode

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Aenslaed posted:

With Nova, whats an alternative to Teslaunread? It seems to keep my phone wakelocked but at the same time, I'm very dependant on the numbers beside the icon.

Zooper, Tasker, and this tutorial, maybe?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

porkface posted:

This is a higher level of living. I can't even fathom how people don't YouTube.

YouTube barely has anything I watch. The occasional music video or movie trailer, and that's it. No point for me to purchase a subscription. :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I need an app to give me notification on new items in an RSS feed. It doesn't need to display content, but it'd be nice to get a clickable url or something.

What would be the absolute bestest is if they've got a server that sends a notification on new feed items so that my device isn't constantly polling an RSS feed.

Searching shows me a bunch of stuff, but it's effort to comb through it all...

Why not IFTTT? I made a recipe for new LP alerts. IFTTT does all the polling, and sends an alert to my phone when there's a new entry. It shows whatever the RSS feed shows, and you can tap on it to open it in your browser.

The trigger options are:

New feed item: This Trigger fires every time a new item is added to the feed you specify.
New feed item matches: This Trigger fires every time a new item in the feed you specify contains a particular keyword or simple phrase.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The developer of Fenix has released Quote, a news reader for Feedly and Inoreader.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

jyrka posted:

Sorry, what does "a news reader for Feedly" mean? Isn't Feedly already a news reader?

According to the app page, "Quote is a clean and modern news reader for your Feedly and Inoreader accounts.".

So it seems it is to Feedly and Inoreader what Fenix is to Twitter: An alternative app.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a non-root required way to keep notifications for specific apps disabled? Updating the apps seems to always re-enable notifications. For example, I disabled notifications for the imgur app, but every time I update it, it re-enables them, and I forget about turning them off until the next time I get one.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Uthor posted:

Are you turning them off in the app or at the system level?

I long press the app, and turn them off there, so I guess that's system level.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Uthor posted:

Try turning them off in app itself?

I just realized that I have never gotten a notification from imgur, though I hardly ever use it.

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mogomra posted:

What version of Android are you on? That seems like a bug or something.

KitKat 4.4.2

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mogomra posted:

Ok, that makes sense because it still works for me. What's stopping the dev from just generating another set of API tokens to use for more accounts? Probably against their TOS or something? What a weird limit to have.

Twitter. They refuse to give out any more, because they want everyone to use their lovely app, instead of awesome 3rd party apps.

There's actually a way around it, though. You can enable developer mode on your Twitter account, and generate your own API code. It's what Talon uses to get around the limit.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

I should clarify, I mean send these URLs and have the android or iOS device open the youtube/netflix/hulu app and start playback.

I read there was a chromecast emulator for android and iOS and then google killed it or something?

You want the device to automatically open the URL as soon as it shows up on the device? You might be able to do that on Android with Pushbullet and Tasker, but I don't think there's any way to do something like that on iOS, even being jailbroken...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've also been meaning to ask what flashlight app I should get. I had one that came with the phone, but a couple of weeks ago my phone was doing a bunch of stuff while sitting in my pocket, and when I looked the flashlight app was gone from my home screen and I don't see it in the app list, although I think it might have been a widget?

My phone's default flashlight app is crap. It goes On/SOS/Off. Bleh. I now use Flashlight. Tap to turn on, tap to turn off. No ads or anything. It's perfect.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Edit: also, any way to use my phone to browse files to copy from my computer?

I'm pretty sure Solid Explorer can do that. I just... don't know how. I got it working, like, once, but never again... :eng99:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Poweramp is on sale for $0.99.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My phone's being stupid, so I'm planning to do a factory reset. Is Helium still the go-to app for non-root backup?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Isn't Duo basically Google's version of Facetime?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Agoat posted:

Allo seems to be prepping for launch. The play listing is under New & Updated.

And the page for it has a Pre-Reigster button.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Are the Facebook and Messenger apps still total garbage on Android? It's getting annoying to read messages by forcing the desktop view on my phone.

Earlier in the thread, goons recommended Metal. It's a wrapper for the FB website. I've been using it for... umm... I don't remember how many months now, but it works pretty well. It has a dark theme, and it lets you read your messages instead of having FB tell you to install Messenger.

The only real complaints I have are:

1) If a post has a certain amount of text in it, there's a Read More... at the bottom. Tapping the post takes you directly to it, and also shows you all comments. It doesn't always remember your place when you go back to the timeline, and will stick you back at the top.

2) If you have a message, and you dismiss the notification, but don't read the message, it keeps coming back.

I get the feeling that both of those are FB issues, though, and not app issues.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/778470188156981254

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The current Humble Mobile Bundle is RiffTrax. RiffTrax for mobile? Yeah. You have to download the free RiffTrax app, and it works like Shazam: It listens to the movie you're watching, and plays the quips.

For $1, you get RiffTrax for:
Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone
Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring
Batman: Tunnel of Terror (Episode 2)
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Beat the average (currently $8.67) for:
Twilight
Halloween
RiffTrax Live: Night Of The Living Dead
Cloverfield
Shake Hands With Danger
Game of Thrones: Season 1 Episode 1

Pay $10+ and also get:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Jurassic Park (Guest starring "Weird Al")
The Wizard

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there an app that will tell me what keeps turning my WiFi off? It's very annoying, and also kind of odd. Any time I'm somewhere with public WiFi, if I move out of range, within 15 mins. my phone turns off my WiFi. Even if if I manually turn it back on, within 5 mins. it's off again.

I've already gone to Advanced WiFi settings, and made sure that it's not set to disconnect WiFi automatically or when the signal is weak, and that it is set to keep WiFi on during sleep.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LG Ultimate 2, no root, Android 4.4.2, stock.

Edit
It appears the issue is caused by the new My Account app. I've uninstalled it to see.

I did a search about a week ago, and got nothing for my phone. Just did one, and got some results.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Is the Facebook app still hot garbage?

Is Poweramp still the best music player for LOCAL files?

1) Probably. I just use Metal.

2) It's the best I've found.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Android Police has started their Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales Roundup.

Not a whole lot of apps right now.

Business Calendar Pro: $2.49 from $4.99
VideoShow Pro: $1.99 from $3.99
Cameringo+ Effects Camera: $1.49 from $2.99
Runtastic PRO; $2.49 from $4.99
Swiftly switch: $0.99 from $1.99
Perfectly Clear: $0.99 from $2.99
Calculator Plus: $1.49 from $2.99
7 Minute Workout Pro: $1.49 from $2.99
Maps & Navigation — OsmAnd+: $3.49 from $6.99

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

beerinator posted:

Damnit. Now I have like three apps and two voice systems to control my light bulbs.

Now you just need to integrate it with IFTTT, so that it will change the hue depending on the weather.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PowerAmp is currently $0.99.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: Multiple security vulnerabilities found in AirDroid, including ability to send malicious APKs to a user's device :siren:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

fluppet posted:

Is there a hot new/not shite Facebook wrapper as tinfoil doesn't do message and swipe won't deal with friend requests?

I use Metal.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've literally never had a problem with Google Calendar reminders, are you doing something weird?

Same for me. I use it to show my next day's work schedule on my lockscreen, and it's set to show up 24 hours in advance. I've never had it not show, and I've been doing it since the last week of July 2015.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

fluppet posted:

I have my work calendar synced to my phone and as we have the meeting rooms named after not so local landmarks so I get notifications over an hour in advance telling me that I need to leave now to make the meeting

Is there a way to convince my phone that these meetings are taking place in the building that I'm already in?

Are you using Google Calendar? That's what I use, and I have it set to show a notification a day in advance, though I can easily change the time. All it does is pop up the Calendar icon, with the name of the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

incogneato posted:

I'm pretty excited for this. My wife and I use Glympse to coordinate all the time, even though I find the app kind of clumsy. It'll be nice to have it integrated into Maps. Also easier to send location to family/friends who don't want to install a whole separate app (everyone I know has Google Maps installed, except maybe a few iPhone users).

Yeah, we've been using Glympse, too. Except we use it when she does 10k/15k/half marathons. And because she's slow, the 3 hour time limit can give out during a half. I'm looking forward to trying this out.