Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I love how you implicitly acknowledge breaking copyright laws by explicitly denying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Google Play Books has automatic sync between devices. On PC, you can use the web browser version.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

smoobles posted:

What's the simplest way to share URLs from an android phone to an iPad? Wife and I just found an old iPad Air 2 and are using it as a kitchen ipad now, would be nice to find recipes on our phones and send them to the ipad quickly.

Pocket app works for me.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for an ad blocker for Chrome for my mom's phone. Can anyone recommend something simple to deal with, but effective? She's 73 and doesn't live near me so it has to be something she can deal with herself.

Brave browser is basically modified chrome and it comes with a pretty good adblocker built in and enabled by default.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

Would a crypto-currency-centric browser, with dodgy politics, be the best choice for a 73 yo mom?

Calling it crypto-centric is a bit much. There's maybe one notification when you first start the browser asking if you want to be part of the brave rewards program. Beyond that, it's just Chrome with with a built-in adblocker.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I don't know if you've looked into recent news about Brave.

I have. It sounded like a bunch of nothing to me.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Syncthing is a great open source software for having folders that are kept in sync between your phone and computer.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

smoobles posted:

Is there a good podcast app that lets you search by episode title within a single podcast?

Pocket Casts has this, but I think it also searches through the episode descriptions which might be a small detriment more often than it is not.

Edit: Too slow.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Party Boat posted:

If you're talking about two channels on the same network then you can just give them the same SSID / password and it'll connect to whichever is strongest, but you might not want to. I tried it for a while and in certain spots in the house it would continually switch between the two channels, briefly losing internet connectivity altogether when it did.

Are you talking about switching between two different bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) because the word channel has a different meaning when it comes to wireless terminology.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

lethial posted:

I finally have an android phone that is fast enough to watch more videos on, but I noticed that the youtube app is just so completely inundated with ads. Most of them telling me to invest in something... Is there a good youtube app replacement w/o rooting the phone? Thanks in advance.

Youtube Vanced is just the regular Youtube app but with ads removed.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Xodo reader is great.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Android 12 here: how do I enable auto updates for all apps except 1? The Imgur app is complete garbage with ads now so I use a previous version without them but it keeps trying to update. If I disable auto updates globally almost every day I have to update some apps manually. If I enable auto updates I can't disable it for the Imgur app, only enable auto updates. If auto updates are on globally, that checkbox is still unchecked.

Uninstall your existing imgur app and then sideload the old version apk from some archival site like apkmirror. Play store won't try to update the app if you installed it manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

SpiderLink posted:

Kind of a weird question: I just learned about symbolic links today and managed to get Launchbox onto my NAS and working on my Windows device. Is there any way of doing a similar thing on Android? The idea is to have my files stored on my server and be able to access them from multiple devices.

I'm still a little new to this, but I think the current setup works (slow but I can deal):

Use shortcut on Windows device to launch exe stored on server.
In program, scroll through files and launch whichever game (also stored on server) strikes my fancy.
Whatever screenshot, save, or save state I create during that session is also stored on my server.
Doing the same thing on a different Windows device on the same network should present the same experience.

So what I'd like is to have the ability to access those selfsame files from Android as well. I couldn't find a way on Solid Explorer, so I grabbed X-plore and Termux for now but wanted to see if I was overlooking something obvious. Thanks!

If your server supports SFTP, then most Android file managers should be able to add it as a network storage, letting you access it the same way you would access other folders on your phone. At least Solid Explorer, MiXplorer and the stock Samsung file explorer can do this.