Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm looking for a recipe app and I'm kind of particular. I haven't liked any that I have tried so far.
-clean interface, easy to read, navigate, and enter recipes. Most fail here.
-import from a wide variety of websites
-sync with browser
-no forced social features, at the very least be ignorable.

I'm willing to spend money, but only if I know it meets my needs first.

I might just end up using Evernote or something because all the recipe apps seem bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Paprika is well liked... But hearing that, you might want to do what I do and just use Google Drive.
IIRC paprika is the one that has a Windows app, but no chrome extension, correct?
My main computer is a Chromebook.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not really sure if this is the right thread, but my work posts its schedule in the stupidest way possible. Each day they post each person who is working that day as an all day event with their name and their scheduled hours as the title. These are posted to different calendars based on department location.
Basically it spams the poo poo out of my phone with events whether I am working or not.

I'm wondering if there is a script I could run that would find my name and pull it to a different calendar in a sane format. This lunacy makes the calendar pretty much useless for personal use.
Another option is to just download some other calendar app, and use one for work and one for personal. The work one would still end up being spammed with everyone elses schedule and force me to use day view to see whether I work or not.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

maltesh posted:

Seconded. If you're fairly decent with Javascript, it would probably be /fairly/ straightforward scan the events from one calendar, parse a time and date from the title, and post them to another calendar using the Google Apps Scripting, (which despite the name, works on any Google Account) I've been using the scripting to do calendar (and other) things for years.
I'm not at all, I kinda know enough to be able to modify an existing script. I'd be willing to paypal someone a couple bucks if they helped me out. As far as catching updates, the schedule gets posted once a month and changes are rare. If they do change it goes out in an email. So if I just had a script I could run once a month to move everything that would be sweet.

LastInLine posted:

I've got to know, what's their reasoning for putting the times in the title instead of in the event? I love corporate logic so much and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this.
Its a small business, maybe 20 people? The owner writes the schedule. I have no idea what his reasoning for it. I do know the format makes it super easy for him to see if all shifts are covered for the day. I could maybe point it out to him, but I really doubt it would change.

EDIT: If I had to take a guess, I bet he has a spreadsheet that spits out how many hours he has to go around for each day. He fills the schedule in based on that and probably lazily copy and pastes it from the sheet into the calendar. Or uses a bad script.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 11, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

maltesh posted:

All right, here you go. This half-assed kludgy Google Script will /probably/ do the following:

Searching between the first day of last month and the last day of next month, it should:
* Optionally (If CLEAR_CALENDAR_IN_RANGE = true) delete all events on the calendar TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME in the range
* Find all calendar events in the owned/subscribed calendar named by SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME that have the string denoted by SEARCH_STRING in the title,
* Create an event on the owned calendar named by TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME on the same day using the QuickAdd syntax to input time information.

It is based on the assumption that the last thing in the title of each event will always be the time range, and there will be no spaces in the time range (e.g, it will always be something like "10-6")

There are likely quite a few ways it can fail, I would not recommend pointing the TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME variable at any Google Calendar on your account that you care about personally.

https://pastebin.com/shxTGi74

Edit: documentation on using Google Scripts can be found here: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/overview
and the specifics of the basic CalendarApp class here
Awesome thanks, I will give this a shot later when I haven't been drinking, but I think it might have problem.

TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME and SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME refer to 2 different calendars on the same google account, correct? Ideally I'd like to import things to a separate account, but if that is a limitation, that is fine.
I think the bigger issue is that you underestimated how lovely this calendar is set up. In the screen shot, each color code is a separate calendar. Sales location 1, service location 1, sales location 2, service location 2 etc. It's entirely possible my name could be on 1 of 4 calendars for this google account on any given day.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This is what happens when non tech people get a hold of technology they know just enough about that it makes things easier for them. I am probably one of those people myself.
This schedule system probably works fantastic for the guy that comes in more or less when he feels like it and just needs to see who is working on what days and make sure its all covered. It doesn't work for anyone else though.

Having a monthly schedule that can only be viewed accurately in day view is pretty poo poo. If I knew his work flow better, I'd suggest some changes to make it more functional. Based on his personality I just know that if I bring it up at all without having a solution he won't care because it obviously works for him.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 12, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ok, the script is kinda working, but its only working every other day? I can't seem to find any reason for that. Its also still coping my shifts over as an all day event, instead of scheduling in the time. I'm OK with this I guess since my main goal is just to see only my shifts.

You again underestimated how bad this schedule is. I need to somehow know which of the 4 schedules it pulled form for a specific day. Since each schedule is a different location, i need to know which one to drive to lol! I'm cool with a simple "esporks L1 10-7" or "esporks L2 10-7" etc.
Wether or not we can get this working, I'll buy you a forums upgrade for your work.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 13, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The whole time that I have been there, everyone has started on the hour.

This new one more or less works. A couple days have double entries, but thats about it. I can deal with that.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Use a debit card everywhere you go. Google is working on some thing to track users debit purchases that is quasi legal.

I get about a buck a week from that.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its not traditional, but Sectograph is nice for time management and displaying a daily schedule.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'd like to create a simple home screen shortcut or assistant command that opens the latest video from a specific youtuber. I can't find a way to do it.

I can't seem to generate any kind of static web URL that always points to the newest.

Is there any way to do this with tasker or something similar?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That pulls up *a video*.
It's not the latest video, and I can't tell why it is the video it is. Last watched maybe?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Odd, I can't tell what determines the video it plays.

Even if it worked, I realized I need a little more specificity too. I need to play from a specific playlist on their channel, not just the newest.

Edit:
"Play youtube <play list name>" will play the playlist in oldest first direction.
"Play latest youtube <play list name>" is playing one from yesterday
"Play today's youtuber <play list name>" still plays yesterday's

I think <play list name> is working, but still won't do latest

eSporks fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 19, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Now I don't get what's going on with assistant and the youtube app AT ALL.

"Open <URL link to specific video>" is just opening the youtube app and nothing else.

Tried using a desktop bookmark instead, but it opens in chrome instead of youtube!

Why is this so impossible?

eSporks fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 19, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

So, you can turn a youtube playlist into an RSS feed.

Did that.
The reader loads the first (oldest) 15 videos then stops and never updates.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ahh maybe that's it. I just found that method suggested on a google search. I came across a lot of other depreciated features too. You used to be able to change the direction a playlist plays with a url string, but not anymore.

It's really starting to feel like google/youtube have stripped any ability to do what I want to do. I just want to easily play a daily video while avoiding having to interact with the algorithm trying to serve me something else. But I guess they intentionally do not want that.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 20, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I like a lot that I can 'subscribe' to youtube channels in NewPipe and it's entirely local (you can't even log in in the app). You can also bin the channels into different groups for checking out what's new at different times. That list seems to be sorted newest first, whether you want it or not.

You can entirely stop autoplay, hide comments, hide next and similar videos and hide app tabs with content you didn't explicitly search or ask for. The superior youtube experience imo.

Don't know if/how you can get assistant to launch any of it though.
I'll check this out, thanks. The quick launch is ideal, but the main goal is just ease of access and avoiding the interface designed to deliver everything except what I want, especially in the groggy morning. So that app might work.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

New pipe still displays the bookmarked playlist in oldest first order. Interface is cleaner and easier than YouTube though. I can at least access the newest video from the main channel feed easier.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 20, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The channel just has lots of content, and I'm really only interested in one playlist from it.

It's also part of a relaxation thing for me, so the idea is to just play the video with minimal phone interaction.

New pipe is significantly easier and cleaner to use. Best solution yet, thanks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looking for an app that would switch off a wifi with a poor signal to one with a better signal. Why isn't this native? Android will gladly use up data when the wifi signal is poor and completely neglect connecting to the perfectly fine other signal right there.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LastInLine posted:

What's the use case here? A bunch of separate networks at a workplace where you want to hop from network to network as you walk around the complex?

I think it's not native because it's something that shouldn't really happen.
A house, but yes.
I didn't install it, not my house.

Nearly every company I have worked for has had a similar set up/issue. Even if it's not correct, it can't be uncommon.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 9, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I dunno, the internet company set it up that way. It's incredibly common. I have run into enough I'm shocked there is no native solution.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Does pocket casts let you do multiple playlists?
I know it has the up next, but I'd really like to set up a separate playlist for each podcast.

Some of them have a huge backlog I want to get through, but not all at once ya know.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yea, I'm aware of all those.

The main reason I'm asking is that I'm about to go on a 30hr drive. I want to have playlist A for my murder mystery podcast. Playlist B for my comedy podcast. Playlist C for my current events.

That way I can switch between them easily while driving when I get in a different mood. Using up next for that is pretty cumbersome while driving, and also easy to lose track of where I'm at in a series.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm looking for scheduling, Todo, time management apps.

I'm trying to block out my time and set some reminders, get a lot stricter about staying on top of things.

I've tried a few apps, but nothing really sticks, looking for a clean an intuitive UI.

I've tried just using Google calendar and tasks with a bunch of reoccurring tasks and timers, but I really hate how unreadable the interface gets once you start filling it out.

Any suggestions?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mikl posted:

I use Acalendar as a calendar app. I sprung for the pro version (Acalendar+) and I like it quite a bit. It's basically Google Calendar, with a different UI. Syncs with Google Cal and all.
What I'm looking for is less calendar, and more task management.

I'm trying out "time planner" and it's good so far.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know a animal identification helper app that actually work?
Googling only gives me "seek" and that app sucks. It hates focusing my camera and gives me very questionable output even if it does work. And it seems impossible to extract a link to the animal's wikipedia page or something like that.

This picture is terrible and not good for much.

iNaturalist is great, and logging species actually helps research.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

The iNaturalist/seek app took that picture automatically, because it decided it was great. Which is one of the reasons why I am looking for a different app.
The straight iNaturalist app seems to be for when I already know what I am looking at and want to make a log. Basically the opposite of what I am looking for.
I don't know what seek is, but iNaturalist will give you suggestions, which is really nice because photo recognition is never going to be perfect. You can click through a few of the suggestions, compare pictures, read about habitat and narrow it down that way.
It will also give you a family or genus even if it isn't sure about the exact species.

I use iNaturalist for identifying plants frequently.

iNaturalist also let's you see what other people in your area have reported. So you could also just browse and filter by spider. Then scroll through and look for a match.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yea, I looked into seek afterwards. I don't know what niche its trying to serve that iNaturalist doesn't. The reviews are pretty bad too, so definitely check out the actual iNaturalist app. The interface takes some getting used to, but functionally it's really good at identifying most things. Even when it can't, it gets you close enough that you can research on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

smoobles posted:

If you use Google Home, Nest, or tend to use Google Assistant via voice, I'd recommend Google's default list. It's website based, so you'd create a home screen shortcut to your shopping list. But it's very seamless, you can say "hey Google add eggs to my shopping list"

Also easy to share a Google list with family members.

I used to use this, but Google assistant had been utterly broken for me for months now. I can't seem to find a solution.

I get a wide variety of different error messages, and it just fails to execute any command.

It was nice when it worked.