Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Google Allo looks really cool but it's yet another messenger app that doesn't have SMS support so I'm just sad about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

When will the world finally release their death grip on texting as a primary form of communication

As we talk on an Internet forum...

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I prefer these stupid emoticons to emoji, I don't know what the appeal to having AI in my text messaging app does for me, and why Google is spending millions on that poo poo instead of just making a SINGLE, USABLE messaging app that they don't immediately abandon.

If they give it SMS support it will be a direct upgrade to any other app. An actual all in one messenger with extra features would be great. WhatsApp and the others only work if everyone gets the app, making it useless for me.

Edit: Google's SMS app on the play store is good.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

XIII posted:

If Allo does SMS, I'll probably switch to it immediately because the handful of people I talk to via Hangout messages would also gladly switch. I just want one app that handles both, which is why I use Hangouts. If Google stands behind Allo more than they did Hangouts (fat loving chance, I know), then I'll use it.

I had no idea Hangouts did SMS. I just want an all-in-one app.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I tried Duo with a friend today and it was awesome. Allo needs to hurry up and come out, too.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

TwistedNails posted:

Make IM clients great again!

Seriously, I miss having all of my friends on MSN and AIM. Facebook messenger is close to being there but I still know a lot of people that won't use social media or make a facebook page. SMS/MMS are awful and slow, I also have too many family members way out in rural areas that can't get MMS to work at all.

If Allo has SMS it'll be perfect for me. Special features for my friends (that are tech-friendly) and SMS for people like my parents who really don't give a poo poo.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Luchadork posted:

I'm pretty sure Google came right out and said 'no' to SMS.

loving useless.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Allo seems to be prepping for launch. The play listing is under New & Updated.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

Oh god it doesn't use SMS :qq: this is clearly the worst thing ever (literally no one I know uses SMS)

It does have SMS though

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Google saves my car location whenever I don't need it. If I'm at work, I can literally see my car out front. Why can't I save it manually when I go to the airport or another busy place?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Even if I can get to the row where my car is it'd be a huge help.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still trying to figure out what messaging app to use since Allo sucks.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

vyst posted:

Textra

I'm actually downloading that now!

Edit: This owns

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man, the only problem I have with Allo is that not enough of my friends are on it.

Thats why I hate it. If it had SMS I'd be fine with it.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 8, 2017

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
The issue with Allo is even if I get all my friends on it, new friends or family members won't be on it. Without fallback SMS I'll never get to use it properly.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you every goon that recommended textra

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Textra has a ton of customization, down to being able to customize per contact. It's really cool. I haven't found a downside, either. Android seems to treat every app equally, even stock apps.

On the subject of reminders get the Google Rewards app so you can get Play money.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Snapchat sucks rear end for that exact reason.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

sweart gliwere posted:

If screen-off play is a feature you're missing, Firefox mobile can fill that role. Up to you whether to minimize data I guess, but most of the world has better plans with cheaper data rates than us (US) anyway.

I don't think this works anymore.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm poking around for an app that I'm not sure exists. My roommate and I want to build a bar at home. I wanted to have a tablet running an inventory app that would also sync to our mobile devices. The idea was to have the tablet set inside the bar so that we could poke through what we have without moving a ton of bottles around. (It's not 100% practical but it'd be cool, admittedly). Is there an app that does this? Also is there a way to force Android to only use that app?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

For the second part, you can pin apps to the screen so you can't back out of them. Otherwise, I'd bet there's some enterprise solution out there.

I kinda wanted it to be super polished. It's all really for show.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

Are there any Tumblr apps that don't suuuuuuuck like the official one does?

Twitter is technically better but only because the user base can't cram as much garbage into one post

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I still like Fleksy.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ringu0 posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard.

Instead of pushing up the contents of a screen when the input field happens to be down in the bottom, the keyboard needs to exist as a sort of a transparent overlay, allowing me to see through it while I type.

Does this exist, or I'm chasing unicorns over here?

Fleksy let's you make transparent keyboards but it pushes from the bottom, still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm at $36 across two years. I use my currency for IAPs on gacha games and Trials. For a while it kept asking for Walmart receipts and gave me a dollar per.