Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

flatluigi posted:

yyyep, looks like it's blocked. Any chance of a rooted solution?

Try foxfi. Running it on a non root 6p and it is not being blocked on Verizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with AMP pages? Are you that guilty about abetting Google's theft of their ad dollars?

For me it always seems opening any amp page means there's a good chance I'm going to be served a full screen popup about how my phone is infected.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

fishmech posted:

Make the information in your file names match the information in the metadata - use a program like Tag & Rename on your main computer to automatically take the data already in the file name and put them in the appropriate parts of the metadata.

The one problem with this method is collections of music like a soundtrack. I want to know who made a song, but I don't want the same artist showing up as a one off when I play the artist directory.

I organize my music artist-> album -> (songs)

There is a point for both methods so don't say to do a thing you do because he's fine with his method.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

fishmech posted:

That's what setting an Album Artist tag is for! Each track has a different Artist tag, but you set an Album Artist tag of the movie soundtrack.

Problem is a lot of the free id databases are not populated correctly in all entries or the entry looks good until you realize a year later a song was misattributed (saying this artist did this track when they actually did this one) .

Though this is me and I've been using the folder based system since mp3 vbr just became a thing.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

fishmech posted:

What do id databases have to do with it? You already have the folder structure, make the album artist match what you already decided to sort the album as. Tag&Rename makes it easy to automate taking your existing folder structure's information to determine these things.

Eh, I'll just leave it. The main metadata fight I'm in the ring with is really now with Plex because some of their logic is just silly . For music, I'm good with Google Music and my albums fold neatly into the radio system.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Has there been a better way to stream audio from your phone to your PC? I used to be able to click on the Cast button on my phone and have it start streaming on Microsoft Connect via Miracast, but it can't do it anymore. I can have the phone see my PC and it will be added to the devices in the application, but now my phone just crashes and reboots.

It's a rooted Pixel 3 xl on build QP1A. It used to be nice to be able to continue listening to my podcasts on my PC so it would keep track of the progress.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Youtube has stopped adding videos I watch to Watch History when watching on my phone. It still adds it when I watch it on PC on the same account.

Anyone had anything similar?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Skarsnik posted:

Are you doing any phone ad blocking? I know unless I whitelist a certain address on my pihole I get the same issue connected to my home network

There's also a 'pause history' option. You enabled that by mistake?

I use pi hole (ad block via dns) which still doesn't explain it because I am on the same network as my PC. The router uses the pihole as the DNS to give to clients via dhcp so every client uses it invisibly.

Ill check the query logs. Maybe mobile app uses "m.youtube.com" or something.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Skarsnik posted:

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/commonly-whitelisted-domains/212

That's got the YouTube history thing you have to whitelist but its odd about the PC you're right

Does it record history if you watch on mobile data?

I didn't have a chance to test mobile data, but I already figured it out.

The mobile version of youtube was being blocked by calling "s.youtube.com". After whitelisting that domain, the history feature on the app was then working.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

the_lion posted:

Thanks for the solid suggestions everyone!

Different user case. I really only listen to the same music every day, it's also $10 less a month. My playlist is relatively small, so I'd only have to fiddle with organising once and then I'm done.

Spotify was good when I listened to podcasts all day but I no longer really do that either.

I'm a family plan with Youtube Red since... 5 years ago and I pay 40$ every year. I never got a chance to use/experience Spotify, but Youtube music does what it does well for me.

It is really good at working with one fascination with this really genre lately which is 80' Dark Electric/Synth where I started with some names from the Hotline Miami soundtrack like Perturbator, M|O|O|N, Carpenter Brut, Mitch Murder, and Mega Drive and it has been picking up some good artists of the same sound. Kavinsky (just came out with a new album yesterday), Gost, Miami Horror, Lazerhawk, Dan Terminus, and Dance with the Dead and it's even adding more artists that I can easily like or dislike.

Watching Youtube Premium removes the 30+ second ads but when I discovered SponsorBlock where it let the app automatically skip ads inside the actual video from Vanced was like magic. Had me realize this one engineering channel puts out like 10 minute videos and 4 of those minutes is straight product hawking/sponsor promotions/subscribe/like.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

YggiDee posted:

What's the current hotness for weather apps and widgets? Neither of the links in the OP work and Kustom Widgets doesn't update weather information automatically for me anymore.

I use Today Weather.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Aware posted:

I use MyRadar which gives alert for rain/storms/etc. Obviously focused on radar imagery but has overlays for a bunch of other stuff as well.

I find it reasonably accurate, usually if it ping saying rain starting in 10 minutes it's not wrong.

There was an app iPhone bought that was really popular that had the ability to look at public weather stations that ranged from government buildings, to libraries, to people's backyards.

That feature was great because the light rail station I used to get into DC was one of these monitoring stations. DC is dumb about snow and sometimes random things would close and some would stay open. I used the light rail camera to check parking to see if it was plowed or not before I drove there.

I went with today weather because it had it at one point (I think but now I can't find it so it might have never been there) but I knew I have been paying for the subscription for some reason.

I am trying to find something like that again so any weather apps with that local weather station ability?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

Apple bought Darksky.

yup. it was awesome.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

fourwood posted:

No I know but could Dark Sky ever let you look at light rail webcams or see various different local weather stations? I don’t remember any of that functionality at all.

It did let you at least just before the move.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Going to suggest this useful tool that has been around forever that let's you reinstall any apps/games you bought before INCLUDING the apps that are not listed in Play Store anymore.

Lots of sorting options and just cringe at alllllll microtransactions you did in the past

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.azefsw.purchasedapps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Pvt. Parts posted:

Interesting how it supposedly works on apps which aren't listed on the store anymore? But yea I don't really trust apps with any kind of complexity which haven't been updated in 2+ years.

Up to you.

If you find an equivalent then please post it.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 28, 2023