Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dumb question but...

I have to connect to a SwiFTP server that's running on a dedicated piece of embedded android hardware. I have to connect, cd to /data/data/(appname)/cache and then upload a custom file. The problem being, the >only< ftp client that has been able to do so successfully is Windows command line FTP. This is apparently a problem with how SwiFTP/various clients handle leading slashes on the cd command. Without the slash, SwiFTP won't let you change directory. However traditional/not-suck clients (e.g. WinSCP) will freak out if the slash is present and try to go to Home or something. Here's some explication about how WinSCP can't handle this:
https://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14057

So the version of SwiFTP they've baked into their app isn't being actively maintained any more, and I need to either:
A)Grab a laptop and drive an hour out to installed location for this hardware (and then drive an hour back) and do the FTP myself because apparently no one knows how to use a computer in this organization or
B)Find an Android-equivalent to Windows Command Line on a phone that will actually work in this scenario, and give the tech who has to go out there anyway an instruction list

The vendor/app developer suggested FTP Express, and even gave numbered instructions on how to use it, but it's an ad-riddled piece of crap that has the same leading slash problem WinSCP does. I'm looking at AndFTP in the Play Store which looks pretty ace, but WinSCP is pretty ace and I'm concerned it'll have the same problem. Anyone have any "so simple it usually works" FTP app suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Turns out AndFTP worked out fine!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Google Fit detects me riding the bus to work every morning as walking, so I'm not super impressed with it. But my walking score is through the roof!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's an option, but I think gmail only checks POP3 accounts once an hour, whereas setting your account to forward to Gmail would push the email to you as soon as you get it.

I've got a bunch of me@clientwebsiteoncrappywebmail.com accounts polled from a central Gmail and I sometimes get them faster on my phone than I do on my desktop

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it POP3 on the desktop too, or IMAP with Push?

Well I meant Gmail in a desktop browser window. Obvs it wouldn't be faster than sitting the webmail HORDE interface or whatever. But it's definitely not every hour

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

B-Nasty posted:

With the amount of information Google has along with accurate GPS and/or indoor positioning, I won't be the least bit surprised when it starts prompting you real-time about events in the particular movie you're watching:

What did you think about the preview you just watched for "Rings"
A) Scary
B) Lame
C) Cool

When that guy jumped out of the basement, were you scared?
A) Yes
B) No

Would you say the current stripper Chantella Amber at <insert strip club here> is
A) Rockin it
B) Bored and disinterested
C) Saggy and sad

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Filled out my first survey thinger because I read you guys talking about it. 3 questions about my music tastes for $1 CAD? Are they always $1?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

LastInLine posted:

Maybe it was a data leak of some sort. Either way I can't find any info on it now.

Think it was this (2015):
http://www.welivesecurity.com/2015/08/26/dolphin-mercury-android-browsers-major-vulnerabilities/

Remote execution vulns

There was also this from 2011:
https://www.cnet.com/news/dolphin-hd-browser-snared-in-security-breach/

Where it would phone home with every URL visited, but that's probably handled by now

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

boo_radley posted:

I had maps aggressively pop up like this a few times and try to take me to THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY over and over, even after force killing the app and some other bullshit.

Or maybe your phone just wanted some delicious all american cheesecake served in a hospitable family-friendly atmosphere, all with great service and reasonable prices???

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you're using Amp for news aggregation (e.g. news.google.com, Google Now) news.yahoo.com isn't bad. It isn't great mind you, but better than Bing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

LastInLine posted:

This is true. Of course, you know they're going to shut down G+ any day now and replace its working implementation of location sharing for the horrible Trusted Contacts so it's a pyrrhic victory at best.

Coming soon... Google Positive

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That's weird all my surveys are for places I've been, or been nearby, haven't seen anything related to my search/browse history.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

A Bag of Milk posted:

Is there any app that can disable the need to swipe up before unlocking your phone? Googling tells me no, but I want to believe...

My Nexus 4 still owns, it's just the swiping up that's starting to get a bit unresponsive at times. If I could just input my pin as soon as I turn my screen on, that would be a huge improvement.

Sounds like your digitizer is going like mine did (mine was on the left). Maybe enable dev mode and do some pixel tracking tests to see if there's any dead zones.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I had one that popped up right after watching an LP video on YouTube (Men Drinkin Coffee) asking me if the video I had just watched would be a good recommendation. Part of why it's startling I think is the immediacy; I had just finished watching that video, but also the idea that a computer/database somewhere could react within seconds of you doing a (in your mind) relatively disconnected activity.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wacky Delly posted:

They were, but then Twitter realized they didn't have any way to actually make money and started limiting the API.

Yeah when twitter first opened up the API I spent an afternoon and basically wrote the original Hootsuite product offering to help manage some clients. Like scheduled tweets, tweets not from the web site interface, email in a tweet to a reserved address to send it, compile tweets/performance across multiple accounts, etc. It was super easy. Then the request limits. Then the features disappeared. Then my app ID got pulled. I was assuming Twitter was going to internalize all this stuff to monetize as a management add-on, but then Hootsuite appeared, and well we all know how that ended.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MikeJF posted:

Is there a site with app recommendations for various use that isn't a horrible corrupt paid-pusher?

I haven't been in the app store in ages, but I was over Christmas while looking for time killing games during the flight (settled on Pixel Dungeon and Pathos: Nethack) and is it just me, or is app discovery almost completely broken in the Play Store now? Like I had pretty clear search terms and got almost entirely crap, and had to refer to external sources so I could search for exact titles.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there an app or way to determine what is actually consuming battery life? I swear it was better in the past versions of Android. I'm running a Nexus 6p on 8.1. When I go to Settings > Battery it shows me two apps (Chrome and Awful) that have consumed 15% of battery between them. When I tap the big Battery on top of that screen to get to "Advanced Battery Usage" it tells me Apps have consumed 59% of the battery and System 22% but then... there's nothing. No way to access that list of Apps that consumed the 59%. I've then went into Settings > Apps & Notifications and laboriously individually clicked on 50 or so Apps there, and not a single one other than Chrome or Awful shows a battery utilization of greater than 0%, 1%, or "none". (Chrome and Awful show 9% and 6% respectively) So where's that other 44% or so of App battery drain coming from? Suggestions on getting to that in Settings or if that's not possible an App that'll show the information appreciated!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Blue Train posted:

You can install accubattery and enable usage stats to show app usage. If that doesn't tell you what you want to know you would need root and betterbatterystats

Thanks, I grabbed that guy and installed it. Still waiting for enough usage data to build up, but I assume it's a bad thing the battery "health" is at 57% of the approximate total from when the battery is new?

For everyone else, is there any substance to the app saying "only charge up to 80% and extend battery life 200%!!" I'm familiar with how the battery cycle/drain thing works with lith-ion but is the magic 80% number accurate?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

fishmech posted:

A lithium-ion battery will in fact last the longest time if it never gets much below 35% or much above 80%, and if it's meant to be stored unused for a very long time it should be discharged down to about 50% and then put in a freezer or other very low temperature place (of course making sure that no condensation forms on it, because you'll have to dry that out later on).

The thing is that sticking to those procedures usually isn't practical if you also want to use the device the battery goes to that often.

Yes that is the problem. According to the battery app at 80% I'll get just under three hours of on-screen use. The odd thing is I swear this happened at the same time I did the 7->8 upgrade, so I thought something in there was hogging all the battery. Turns out it's looking more like battery fatigue after all.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It says they charge if you want 100 keywords which is weird because I only have like 15 of them but it's still not letting me add more without paying.

I never heard of dual space/parallel before though, that sounds awesome.

I feel like a moron but I don't know what that means :shobon:

I tried doing a google news RSS or whatever a few years ago and I accumulated a bunch of URLs that had random numbers all over them but I needed an app like Feedly to do anything with them if I remember right.

Google themselves send you keywords and alerts based on what you set up. I'm pretty sure they can even be windowshade like notifications. Not sure if you can set "look this up in a month" kind of parameters, never really used it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I got daylio too and there's some weaknesses (lack of sub categorization, I'd like the ability to attach pictures to notes) but overall pretty neat. I wasn't even aware of the mental health aspects, just wanted a little logging tool but am interested to see what data results. Apparently it's half off until Nov 21? Or at least that's what the app told me.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Heners_UK posted:

Anyone else getting their Daylio premium purchase refunded unexpectedly? Happened to me twice now.

Man hasn't but I bought it with survey buxx so that might contribute

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We use 1password at work and it works pretty good. The impression I get is that the automatic browser filling part might be a bit titchy but I don't really use it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Weather kitty uses dark sky data too I believe

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

And that's the thing unfortunately. Plex organization will suck, but after that it'll Just Work. Google, who the gently caress knows? They might switch to an aquarium based system that lets fish from around the world choose the music on the cloud.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lowen SoDium posted:

This thing has the least efficient use of screen space of any app I have ever used.

Yeah not nearly enough frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does Meet have the same video quality as Duo? The big draw to Duo when it came out was that the video quality was so much better than Hangouts or Skype or whatever else was out at that time.

I've been using meet all along with a goodish 8mp camera on my tablet and it looks fab.