Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've finally growth annoyed enough at ads popping up on the Chrome app that I've switched to Firefox with uBlock installed.

Feels a lot better. Sites load a lot faster and when I go to tap something an ad doesn't pop up to take me somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You want uBlock Origin, actually. Long story, but uBlock isn't supported these days while uBlock Origin is.

I double checked what which one I downloaded and it is uBlock Origin that I have. So all good here, but thanks!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Firefox mobile fixed my biggest annoyance with it and added much better video ui controls in it's latest update.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

BisterdDave posted:

I should've mentioned that I purely use Chrome on my phone, so I'm wondering if there's a way go have my favorites/bookmarks immediately on startup instead of having to press a couple buttons to get to my bookmarks.

Like the other posters said Firefox defaults to your bookmarks like Safari does and you can download uBlock Origin to kill ads.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm annoyed the Android Comixology app doesn't display download size like the iOS app does.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Any firefox add-ons (or alternate browsers) that can move the tab manager down to the bottom of the screen? I find it way more comfortable to use down there. Opera seemed to work well, as it had a bottom-screen tab manager and adblock, but it hosed up webms. Firefox obviously has ublock and plays webms just fine, but the tab stuff’s all at the top. I found this browser which seems alright and fulfills my needs, and has decent reviews, but I’d prefer something with a bit more weight and support behind it rather than just some random browser.

I looked around and found this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tabs-on-bottom/

But it doesn't appear to work for Android Firefox.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Little late, but I replaced Chrome with Firefox (plus uBlock Origin) on my phone and I'm pretty happy with it's performance and features.

Haven't noticed any problems other people have mentioned. :shrug:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Well poo poo Mozilla just broke Firefox mobile with its newest update. Can't access any site at all.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The latest Firefox for Android Beta release makes it look almost exactly like Chrome mobile.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Android browser chat: What do you guys use? I don't like Chrome and I've been using Firefox for years but lately I'm using Firefox Focus and I'm liking Microsoft Edge (it feels like the desktop browser).

I have five different browsers installed right now and can't settle on using only one. Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Edge and Firefox Focus.

Firefox Beta with uBlock Origin.

Also been playing around with FireFox Nightly as that is the mobile version delivering the speed boosts Mozilla's been working on.

sweart gliwere posted:

Also worth considering, a decent reusable metal or glass bottle. If she needs to track exact ounces, just count #refills in literally any note or keep type app (or an index card), then multiply it by 12oz or 25oz or whatever at the end of the day. If she wants to clear a gallon per day of water separately from other drinks, great, even less work since it's counting up then stopping.

Yeah, Firefox is great for crazy comprehensive extension support and keeping a non-Chrome history for disposable reading. uBlock lets you skip shady mobile ads, Stylish lets you force every site to be OLED-optimized :3

Also, unless something's recently changed, it still runs Flash junk as a tap-to-play content field. Not that it's a real perk in 2017, but handy if you want that for some reason.
All Flash support ended with the latest mobile Firefox version.

Guillermus posted:

I removed Opera (not even using it anymore on my PC) and will try to use Firefox with ublock always. I'm honestly thinking on watching YouTube always on Firefox with ublock because I hate waiting for ads when I just want to watch some lovely YouTube video.

Is there any good addon for Firefox that shows my bookmarks in a screen instead of navigating through menus like on my desktop?

Not quite what you asked for, but you can set bookmarks as the default page a new tab opens to via Settings -> General -> Home -> Panels.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It's me. I'm the guy who actually uses the Youtube Music app.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

It's a good app.

I hardly ever use it because I'd much rather watch videos on a TV or monitor, but it is a good app.

I don't watch videos on it either. I use it'd audio and offline modes when walking or traveling.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Edit: I'm real dumb and confused the Phone app with the Messenger app.

Edit 2: Google's default Phone app is blindingly white with it's latest update. What's a good alternative to it?

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 28, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I guess this is old news, but videos on the YouTube app get capped at 1080p now? Even the old ones I know went to 1440p.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Edit: wrong thread

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 15, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://privacyinternational.org/campaigns/investigating-apps-interactions-facebook-android

Privacy International has found there are apps that are transmitting data to Facebook the moment you open them even if you don't have a Facebook account. The big ones being Spotify, Yelp, and The Weather Channel. The complete list of apps they tested is in the link.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

God drat why didn't I install a Dark Mode add-on for FireFox Mobile until today? Now every website matches the sweet blackness of the OLED option the the SA app has.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

What is up with Google News sending me the same stories multiple times a day after I demiss them?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/1112954543845720065?s=19

Those paying for YouTube Premium/Red are getting served ads and the app won't pay in the background anymore due to some weird glitch with Bluetooth and/or wired headphones.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/06/03/google-is-preparing-to-shut-down-the-trips-app-apk-teardown/

Google Trips app is being shutdown.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/12/google-drive-google-photos-sync-changes/

Google Photos and Google Drive will no longer sync as it's to "confusing".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Wow I hate the new swipe on video in the YouTube app to go to the next video. I keep doing it by accident.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Google shuts down its hyperlocal news app Bulletin

Google's killing another one of it's app. Although I've never heard of it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Add Datally to the graveyard of killed Google apps.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Goddamn Twitter's changed the Android app to the Apple style of getting links so now I keep hitting follow whenever I want to share a tweet here on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Google Cloud Print will shut down January 2021.