Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
It would be cool to explicitly say that poweramp is probably the best option if you don't want to have anything to do with cloud stuff, or have a non-cloud session for music apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

As far as I can tell, nothing really, but its good and some people prefer it (not me).

OP updated with the suggestions so far...

nice inclusions of vlc and plex. vlc is particularly useful to play some videos the default player just won't play

program666
Aug 22, 2013

what is the latest voodoo ritual we're supposed to do to know the space anything is taking on the phone? The Storage setting is bad to the point of being gross, how does a person with an actual diploma and the job to design that screen thought it would be ok to not discern between internal and external storage when looking for how much space a particular app takes? It doesn't even sort by size and there are tens of motorola.this and motorola.that.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Uthor posted:

It does sort by size, just not right away. It'll first give you a list of all the apps, then (slowly) populate the sizes, then, after a few while, sort by size.

If it still doesn't, hit the hamburger menu and select "sort by size".
I actually noticed afterwards but the sizes are still a mess between internal and external storage so it's completely worthless still

hooah posted:

And if you want to get super nerdy about it, get DiskUsage.

Will it tell me exactly how much of each storage unit it's using? Like:

shadowrun | 500 MB internal | 300 MB external

or something like that? And then will it allow me to sort by usage of internal storage space only? Because otherwise it's still almost completely worthless.

Edit: oh and by "shadowrun" I mean any app, the shadowrun game was just the first app I remembered.

program666 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 2, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

That's a pretty great app dude. Thanks a lot.

System Data is probably the android OS right? It seems to occupy a tad over 5GB of my 8GB internal storage, is this normal?

Edit: Also, it's really underwhelming to find out that the worst offenders are google own apps that can't save their huge history data on the external SD.

program666 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 2, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

still I just checked and whatsapp reports as only occupying 140 MB in the DiskUsage app but the folder has a 400 MB size because of it's backups, so I guess DiskUsage is actually not useful in the least hahahha. Oh well, I cleared some 500 MB during this whole thing so I got at least tomorrow noon before my phone nag me about lack of space again.

Edit: actualy DiskUsage is a pretty neat way to check entire trees' sizes at a glance

program666 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 2, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I removed es explorer now that they seem adamant to cram even more "traps" in their interface, on the OP there are other two suggestions fx explorer that is paid (I'm ok with it) and solid explorer that the op don't seem certain if it's good. What would be the downside of solid explorer? Lack of network browsing or something?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks for the responses. Also maybe I should pm the OP to remove es explorer asap right? Now there is a button there that take you to one of their "optimizers" that stay to the left of the file list but slightly over the file icons, obscuring part of it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

is this "google now cards for apps and whatever" just ad spam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I never had excessive app notifications, I'm just afraid that spotify would start pushing bad music onto me because of this feature for example

e: like, oh you're traveling through the countryside? here is some awful country band that paid us for ads.

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 15, 2016