Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know of an app, widget, xposed module or whatever that would let me force the device into sleep/standby (or I guess also turn off and reboot) without using the physical power button?

I have my tablet mounted in the car such that I can't easily access the power button, and sometimes it fails to go into sleep when it loses external power.

I have all three installed on the above device, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I wouldn't say any of them are actually bad in any way.

If it's a Samsung tablet you can enable the assistant menu in the accessibility settings which has an on screen sleep button among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Out of curiosity, what do people use file explorers for nowadays?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I was mostly just curious of the advantages over using them over something like Airdroid or the built in file manager if your oem has one.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
There are some nice ideas in Google's new messaging apps, but I hope they flop horribly and Google bakes their functions into Android like they should've from the start.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Uthor posted:

It will also automatically play the last video I watched if I don't manually close the video, which is super annoying if I just want to look around the app and not watch anything and all of a sudden my phone starts emitting audio.

Especially annoying when you have Youtube Red and it starts blasting audio in the middle of a meeting, requiring you to press back 500 times to close it as the home or power button just keeps it playing in the background.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
That icon is certainly a bold choice.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Whatsapp became insanely popular because all you have to do is install it, regardless of OS or phone manufacturer, the second you open the app any contact in your phone who has the app installed is available to message. While many competing platforms have adopted this method, for most people one messaging app everyone already has is enough, making it pretty hard for other platforms to compete.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WeX Majors posted:

Hey, back with another dumb question about Text Messages.
I'm switching carriers to save some cash. Whats the best method to transfer Text Threads to another phone? I see that Google is telling me to just go install some rando 3rd party app to do this, which just kinda seems shady. I don't even have anything important I'd be worried about someone "stealing", I just want to know if there's anything you guys recommend.

Sms backup, Samsung smartswitch if you're moving between Samsung phones. Motorola had a migration tool, but last I heard they had killed it off for unknown reasons.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Apps can already use their own set of emoji. Whatsapp on Android uses the iOS emoji for example.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
What Tunga said, if the memory is not needed for some other task then the OS will keep the app in memory. The issue is when badly coded apps hog RAM they don't need.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything on this. I just got the Galaxy S8 and I love it and after spending so much time setting it up I'm looking for any apps/services I can use to do a full local hardware backup/restore for the phone's internal memory and the sd card in it. I want everything backed up.

Ideally I can just plug it into my PC, run the app on my phone/PC or whatever and just have it back up everything physically to an external drive. I don't want cloud services or anything. Surely such a thing exists competently?

Samsung Cloud and SmartSwitch should already come installed on your phone.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone know of a reminder notification app that puts tasks into your notifications on a schedule like the usual, but you can't accidentally swipe away the notification, you have to hit the done button, and if your phone reboots, uncompleted reminders restore.

I've genuinely missed taking pills a few times by the notifications vanishing.

Tasks by Tasks.org will do that.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pipski posted:

Is there any straightforward way to unify my volume controls in android, so that when I adjust it up/down it applies to all of them? There is no situation in which I want to turn down just media / ringtone/ message tones contextually and it's just a pointless pain-in-the-rear end feature (for me.) Don't wanna be somewhere quiet, think I've turned the volume down, then receive an email and have that notification still blaring out.

If it's a Galaxy phone you can set it up that way. You can use Sound Assistant on Good Lock to tweak what the volume keys do.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

deong posted:

Speaking of. Google Podcasts is going to be shut down and merged into YouTube Music.
https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/26/google-podcasts-to-shut-down-in-2024-with-listeners-migrated-to-youtube-music/

I knew this would happen when I moved over from Play Music after they killed that one. I'm not gonna make the same mistake this time, it's only a matter of time before YouTube Music is killed as well.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Deathlove posted:

that which is dead can never die, or something.

This is Google you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sirbeefalot posted:

FWIW, I've been trying YouTube Music (non-premium acct) as a replacement and it appears to not restrict podcasts in any way that I've found so far. Background play works, Android Auto works, etc. It has an option to enable auto downloading that appears to work, though I don't usually download eps. I don't see much in the way of customizing for downloads, just on or off per podcast.

I find myself in the same boat as smoobles. However, I moved to Google Podcasts after they killed Play Music. Moving to YouTube music after that seems like the definition of insanity.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 10, 2024