Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Not quite sure where to put this, but you guys scare me less than AI, so here goes: Are there any key finder fobs that don't suck... and also have apps that can install on a phone that can't upgrade past Android 4.1.x? My mother keeps calling me about losing her keys, but most of the ones on this list only work on phones 4.2 or 4.4 and above, the few that don't apparently just suck period.

And no, there is no room in any of our budgets for a new phone for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm that curmudgeonly hipster who thinks if you don't want to SMS or, god forbid, actually put in a phone call to me, you have nothing truly important to say to me.

You'd be amazed how easy this messaging stuff is to handle when nobody wants to talk to you.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

I agree with all of this but I'm going to add that being the "winner" of a niche usually means a payout for the developer, stagnation or wholesale changes to the app, and loss of that winner for the user. I'm happy for Shifty Jelly, they made a great app that I've enjoyed for years but I'm not too happy for myself who will likely have to find a new podcast app.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm having a tough time remembering a time when it didn't go this way.

It doesn't inspire confidence that the person they've chosen to run it was the one who turned a monopoly position in their industry into a bankrupt company through constant cost-cutting and zero innovation choosing to focus instead on short term returns and avoiding risk at all costs all the while making things as painful as possible for their users.

I imagine the dead canary moment will be if they keep the upfront payment, but add in ads or subscription tiers or something anyway. Or if the app suddenly gets really pushy about asking you to subscribe to Planet Money.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

Those are likely and the latter probable but what I'm looking for is filtering out "objectionable material" in the Discovery section to avoid stories like "NPR App Promotes [thing]!" in the news.

I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing less chud podcasts on those pages, but if they start filtering out feminist podcasts or Chapo's Trap House or whatever, then yes we'll have problems.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

uPen posted:

The voice app is so-so but the free fake phone number that I can give to realtors or other people I don't ever want to talk to again is invaluable.

Being able to use it for the three out of six SMS-only 2FA I have is nice too, and of course being able to selectively call forward missed calls to use it as the best visual voicemail app on Android is the best.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
well, gently caress

Guess that means I'll have to find some other weather app that sucks the least when my current phone breaks. Why are all the good Android apps dying (or getting bought by NPR, which is basically the same thing)?!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I keep an old battery-powered alarm clock on my end table out of inertia, mainly because any newer clock has always-on LED digits and this one is just dark digits with a backlight button. It hasn't been used as an alarm clock in years mainly because the alarm part failed at some point.

I'm excited to see how it breaks when 2038 rolls around.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ola posted:

That's the one where you host it yourself right? Do you keep the password store on Google Drive or something?

Most people recommend Dropbox because Drive apparently has some hiccups with syncing, but I never notice because I only ever use Keepass Read-Only on mobile and am kinda neurotic about making Drive is synced and then the Keepass2Android app is synced whenever I make a change to the archive anyway. Eh.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ola posted:

Thanks for the replies, also those chiming in with their own questions, this is probably a chasm many people know they should jump but have postponed. Think I will try some self synced Keep-rear end to begin with.

Also trying to come up with a nice password scheme. I'm thinking some "battery horse staple" stuff + entropy spice for Gmail, which doesn't go in the key manager, similar thing for the keystore itself, then everything else in there. Maybe some exceptions. Please share if you have masterminded some awesome scheme.

Diceware.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uthor posted:

One thing to think about as you're locking your stuff down is how you'll get into it in an emergency. Like, if your point of entry requires two factor authentication through your phone, what do you do if you lose your phone?

I keep the backup codes in the notes sections in the relevant Keepass entries, and I keep a copy of the archive, it's keyfile, and Keepass portable on an old flashstick I keep on my keyring at all times, as well as a standard backup portable drive. Whenever I make a change to the archive (not that often), I manually update the offline copies. The downside is this mean I won't be able to, say, replace the key file with a Yubikey 2fa, since the archive on the stick would fall out of sync with the Yubikey pretty darn quick and be rendered useless. Tradeoffs.

And yes, I keep a hardcopy of the backup codes and QR codes in a firesafe that trusted individuals have access to, in case my phone breaks while I'm on the other end of the country or something and need to buy a burner replacement (yes, this has happened to someone else in the family).

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

It literally means they are storing your password as-is, so yes running away screaming is a good reaction

Too bad literally all the American banks have that level of online security. Even local credit unions outsource their online services to big and dumb national services.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uthor posted:

Oh, good, Google Translate updated. It continues to show a "chat head" style pop up when I copy some text, but now there is a persistent notification telling me that the option is turned on. Best I can do is minimize the notification so I don't see an icon. Or turn off the really useful option.

I think I need to translate something like once of a month, so it's not really that big of an inconvenience for me to manually open the Translate app and get the translation going. Eh.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hooah posted:

Well, it ended up not mattering because no one else wanted to switch away from SMS/MMS. FWIW, the global prevalence of WhatsApp doesn't matter to me, since this was just for family.

Can we trade families, mine refuses to get off their WhatsApp addiction and text me with plain old sms.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I see NPR has officially begun NPRing up my favorite podcast app, great.

EDIT: That's odd, Play Store says it updated like a dozen apps 6 hours ago when I know it didn't, and which their Play Store entries are saying last updated in October, or September, or even July in the case of Weather Timeline.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 16, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Weather Timeline updated, and they changed the default source to something called MyRadar. I can't find the setting to switch back to Dark Sky, did they remove it or am I just dumb?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly wouldn't mind all that much if it didn't get stuck in this infinite load now on forecast update and you have to exit out to the locations and go back in or load up radar and back out.

Gonna keep it around a while longer to see if it at all improves by the official public rerelease.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I imagine the dead canary moment will be if they keep the upfront payment, but add in ads or subscription tiers or something anyway. Or if the app suddenly gets really pushy about asking you to subscribe to Planet Money.

Well, at least they're not shilling sponsored podcasts yet.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What are the call recording suggestions these days? I was able to get by with unupdated ACR on my old Nexus 6p, but that obviously isn't an option for a fresh Pixel 4a. I'm currently running ACR Unchained, but I'm always leery of sideloading apps. Are there really no better options for Pixels?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I find Authy distasteful (I only had it installed because Twitch required it for non-SMS 2fa), but if A+ really isn't reliable anymore I guess I have no choice. :sigh:

How do you remove old 2FA tokens on Authy? I have an old secret for Humble on there from when they were like Twitch, but switched to a regular 2FA token once they started offering that option. That means I should remove the old secret, but long pressing on it only brings up an option to hide it, not remove it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I dunno, the aesthetics of the presentation? The sharing of my 2FA secrets with a company that got bought out by some large security firm? Does it matter? I said I was going to switch to it as my main authenticator anyway, so what if I have some grumbles about it?

I have Yubico Authenticator too, but I'm just too lazy to rely on tapping my key as my main 2FA method, I pretty much just have it as one of several backup options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

smoobles posted:

I hope this is the right thread to ask:

What do you guys use for 2 factor authentication?

I was using Google Authenticator, but now my only backup device is an iPad, and the app is garbage there (no way to transfer accounts via QR code, like you can between Android devices)

This is a nice open source replacement for Authenticator+. Paid version has an encrypted backup for cloud services and everything.

Also, always keep paper copies of the original QR codes regardless, Authenticator+ not updating anymore screwed me when the program couldn't sync to my new phone and I had to rescan all the codes into my replacement app anyway.