Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, that "play me stuff I haven't heard recently" feature would be awesome. My google music "why can't I do this?" thing is why can't I set what mode it goes to when I use the "play some music" ok google command? Instead, it goes to a semi-shuffled playlist of all my music, weighted by number of plays. Which means that if I do that habitually it eventually settles on just a few songs it loves to play and never plays other stuff in my library. I wish it would just shuffle all my music, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Google fit consistently correctly detects my bike commuting. I have a nexus 6 that I keep in my jersey pocket while riding, as well as an Android wear watch. I don't use Strava, but i do use Garmin connect. I don't think Garmin connect feeds into fit, though.
I'm honestly surprised that you guys are having problems with it.
I was in the ride report beta, but it never successfully detected a bike ride.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I pulled down to refresh and they're gone now.

I also got a notification about a "Top Story". Like, full on notification with vibration and everything. Me thinks Google is messing with feed features again.

Just got one of those. No apparent setting to turn it off. :(

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Winter Rose posted:

Anyone? This is the only thing I really miss from my old iPhone.

Maybe explain what the iPhone Wallet app is, and what you want to replicate, instead of assuming that all of us in the Android apps thread are familiar with all things iPhone.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

iroguebot posted:

I admit I barely come to IYG, did a quick glance on the first page of the subforum and the first page of this thread and didn't see anything like this. I keep getting tons of robocalls, Indian IRS calls, and car warranty calls, I often let them hang up but sometimes answer them expecting another call from someone, is there a good, actual way to block these things? I downloaded a quick and lovely app but it's full of ads and seems more shady than it's worth. I'm either going to need to try and fix these calls, or just end up getting a new number as this one's pretty old.

If you're on T-mobile, look through here and turn on "scam block". https://explore.t-mobile.com/callprotection

I think other carriers may have similar things, but I don't know off the top of my head.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Mogomra posted:

What do people use Tasker for these days?

I use it to read notifications from certain apps out loud while I'm bike-commuting with my bone-conducting headphones on.

I also use it to automatically send a text to my wife when I leave work while biking.

I used to have it set up to automatically put my phone on silent when I got near the Alamo Drafthouse's wifi networks, but these days I keep my phone on silent all the time.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Uthor posted:

Is this something built into Tasker or is it Tasker launching a third party application that reads messages for you?

Can it do something like "call from [Insert name]" for phone calls?

Reading out loud is built in, but I had to use https://joaoapps.com/autonotification/ to detect and manage the notifications.

Yes, it can almost certainly say something like "call from [name]"

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

spincube posted:

[*]User hamfists@gmail.com recorded 'dog poop' under 'Other' as 'not interested'

How do I do this? I found my extremely long "not-interested" list under "other", but no way to pro-actively add things to it. Not that I expect it to have any more of an effect than in the parable.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to get Android to tell you who's calling and/or read you SMS through your headphones without interacting with the screen?

It'd be nice to know if I have to stop when riding my bike and listening to music.

Yes, and that's exactly what I use it for too. Actually, not sure about calling, but definitely for notifications.

You can do it with Tasker, and the AutoNotification plugin.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

I mean it might be? I used to use Twidere but that seems to have gone away.
Twidere is still available via f-droid. It has a dark mode.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
If I have a decent library of uploaded music, and absolutely no interest in the radio or discovery features or YouTube, it's probably time for me to bite the bullet and set up Plex, isn't it?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

So what is everyone planning on using when Google shuts off Hangouts? I'm pretty deep into that with both Google voice and all of my family using Hangouts. so I guess I should think about what are the other alternatives available to me now.

Hangouts will be replaced by Chat, which is already available for enterprise users. There's interop with hangouts, and the whole thing should be a pretty smooth transition. Chat is pretty much hangouts with optional dedicated slack-like rooms as well as 1:1.
I don't know what the Google voice integration does, can't really speak to that.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone having issues with the Chat app not pushing messages through until you actually open the app?

Yes. Also, it turned mobile notifications off in settings by itself. But I'm still mostly not getting notifications even after turning it back on. I do get some, which is even more frustrating than none at all, since obviously it SHOULD be working with my current settings.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Yes, Nova on Android 12 on pixel 3xl, there's a very noticable lag after returning to home screen before it will accept any input such as swiping to another screen or opening an app. I haven't tried rebooting yet, might as well.
My pixel 6 pro is supposed to arrive today (if FedEx isn't lying again), so I'll get to see if that's any better either.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
The discover feed on my pixel 6 pro has recently started including ads. I suspect this is a server side switch and everyone's affected, but I had thought I read somewhere that pixels were excluded from discover ads.

Is this happening for everyone else? Is there a solution, or do I just abandon discover?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Uthor posted:

I don't have an answer for you, but I really wish Android had a two layer Do Not Disturb system, one to filter out work apps and the other for everything. Like, don't give me Outlook notifications after 6 pm or on the weekends, completely silence my phone at night.

Can't help you with outlook, but I use Quiet for Gmail to silence my work email exactly like you describe.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ok, but are all of those watches on WearOS3? What about WearOS4? Or are half of them stuck on Tizen or old versions of WearOS that nobody cares about or bothers developing for?

WearOS4 is on Galaxy watches 4 and up, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Tamba posted:

Nova Launcher just got its first update since they were acquired by the spyware company two years ago :ohdear:

Did they gently caress it up? How did they gently caress it up?