Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an app from Google that tells you where other people are?

On iPhone I know there is a "Find my Friends" app that is built in or whatever. If you open it, it will show you exactly where a friend is so you can find them or something.

Last week my wife took the kids to the beach and I went there after work; it took me forever to find her. So I realized I really have to start looking into this.

I would really prefer it to be something that's from Google as I don't trust such an app from another company to not completely destroy my battery. From what I found, Google used to offer an app called Latitude that was used for just that but it looks like they stopped supporting it.

Is there such an app? Something maybe even built into the phone? I have a Google Pixel and she has a Google Pixel XL if it helps. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wow, thanks so much! I opened Google Maps and it even says "NEW!!!" next to this feature. I really appreciate it!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

This is awesome. Thanks so much!

Uthor posted:

My Gmail app isn't sending any emails with attachments from my phone. They just stay in the Outbox forever (and not let text only emails through). Happens both on cellular data and WiFi. Any ideas?

I tried clearing data and cache, but that didn't do poo poo.

Try uninstalling it (so it will go back to the default version that came with your phone) and then going into the Play Store and downloading the update.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I found myself putting reminders in my phones to remember to check up on news stories, for example I'd put in a reminder for a year from now to "check if John Smith got prison time" or "see if that anti-union bill passed in the senate" but I realized it was a really stupid way to do things so I downloaded an Android app called Feedly where I would put in those keywords and every once in a while I'd open the app to see news stories on whatever I was trying to keep tabs on. It seems like it did it via google news keyword alerts.

I just tried to add a new keyword and it wants to charge me $6 a month just to do it (I only have like 15 stories I am following; nothing crazy). Does anyone know of a similar app that does not charge a monthly fee? I don't mind paying a one-time fee for an app but I can't stand monthly charges. Any recommendation as to what I can use to accomplish the above would be appreciated, especially if it's free or only has a one-time charge. Thank you!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

whatever7 posted:

Does the free version allow fewer keywords? You can always use dual space or parallel to create a 2nd app instant.

It says they charge if you want 100 keywords which is weird because I only have like 15 of them but it's still not letting me add more without paying.

I never heard of dual space/parallel before though, that sounds awesome.

LastInLine posted:

Feedly is an RSS service.

Why don't you just set up your own keyword alerts?

I feel like a moron but I don't know what that means :shobon:

I tried doing a google news RSS or whatever a few years ago and I accumulated a bunch of URLs that had random numbers all over them but I needed an app like Feedly to do anything with them if I remember right.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I reluctantly made the transition from Wunderlist to Microsoft To-do and something about it really annoys me and I'm wondering if it happens to anyone else here (or if there's a way to correct it). It's unfortunately too generic of a Google search to find anything about it.

I typically set reminders to go along with my tasks, so that I get a notification to remind me. For example, I will make a reminder in ToDo that says "get taxes done" or something. I'll set the reminder and, when I used Wunderlist, I would have the reminder staring at me in my notifications until I get it done.

This worked fine in Wunderlist but for some reason it looks like Microsoft ToDo "wipes" itself away from my notifications? So if I set a reminder for later today to "get taxes done", it will be in my notifications, but tomorrow when I wake up, it's gone.

I like it being there so I am more likely to remember to get it done. I'm guessing it's wiping it at midnight the day after the reminder was set. What if I'm working nights and want that notification to still be there at 3 in the morning? Why does it remove the notification at all? Is there any way to tell To-Do to stop doing that?

edit: went a bit deeper with Googling; looks like a lot of people are complaining about this (for quite some time now) and Microsoft has never fixed it:

https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/37805497-do-not-remove-task-from-notification-bar-on-androi
https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/18999073-persistent-reminder-notifications-on-lock-screen
https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/35643118-for-tasks-in-my-day-that-are-not-completed-by-the

No one seems to have figured out a fix so I am hoping someone here has. If not I am going to have to find another reminder/to-do app which sucks because I am pretty sure none of them are going to be able to import from Wunderlist.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 9, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

Also, is there a good app to control the volume levels (eg ringing, Bluetooth headphones, wired headphones, messages) that allows you to change or lock them independently?

A few versions of Android ago, Google decided to link ringer volume and notification volumes together. Yes it's incredibly dumb and there are 300 page threads of people complaining about it on various forums around the web, but unfortunately the only way around it is to root and install GravityBox (essentially it's a root app that unveils all the SystemUI features that Google hides). Then in there, there's an option to have all volume "bars" show up when you use the volume up and down buttons and there's a second option that unlinks ringer and notification volumes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Or you could buy a Samsung phone which still has separate sliders.

And still allows for more than 4 notification icons in the status bar

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm am admitting I am getting really specific with this question here but does anyone here use a reminder app where the reminders that show up in the notification menu will "survive" a reboot? Business Calendar does this and I love it (I won't forget an appointment or a friend's birthday if my phone reboots for some reason) and I was hoping to find a reminder app that did this. One that isn't Google Keep or Microsoft To-Do because they both have certain issues that really bother me which I won't get into because I doubt anyone cares about my nerd-raging.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I've got an LG aristo 3 updated (officially) to pie and they are still separate. Is that an LG thing like with Samsung?

Possibly! I'm guessing LG isn't 100% stock. A lot of the complaints on various Google forums specifically mention the Pixel.

Google does really annoying stuff like that a lot. Another one off the top of my head is that Google Calendar for Android used to show something that went past midnight across two days. For example, if I am working 9 pm to 9 am from Monday night to Tuesday morning, Google Calendar used to show I was working on Monday and Tuesday. Now for some godforsaken reason it only shows Monday.

They try to oversimplify stuff way too often and it drives me nuts. I should be able to tell in "month view" in the Calendar that an event might actually span two days. But ever since a Calendar update like two years ago, I can't. :shrug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have an NVidia Shield Portable; basically it's a handheld Android device with a built-in X-Box 360 controller and fold-down screen. It's an amazing device especially with Gamestream but my issue is that it has the absolutely worst standby battery life of anything I've ever owned.

I got something called LeanDroid that's supposed to turn off wifi when the screen goes off (closing the lid) but it doesn't seem to work. The fan still spins like crazy even with the screen closed and I hear all my stupid notifications like Google News alerts.

Is there some sort of app I can get to force this thing into a deep sleep mode when the screen is closed? Is that something Tasker can do? I know this is a pretty unique device (the drat thing is worth more on eBay now than when I bought it new 6 years ago) so I can't imagine having many options here. It's rooted if that helps or makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed that all of a sudden the alarm clock icon never leaves my status bar on my Pixel 3A. Even though I don't have an alarm set. This is really messing me up because it will have me thinking my alarm is set for work the next day and it's not.

Apparently (after Googling this issue) this is because some of my reminder apps or calendar apps having something set for tomorrow will cause the alarm clock to show up in the status bar, which is ridiculous because I have reminders set for every single day for the rest of my life for certain things like piano practice and stuff like that.

Is there any way to make it so other apps can't take control of the status bar alarm clock icon? I only want it showing up if I have an alarm set.