Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I didn't see it in the OP or the first few pages so I wanted to post and say how much I like Truecaller. It's an app that has a floating box displaying the caller ID / company name / etc of non-contacts when they call. You can block them by auto-rejecting or just a silent ringtone, as well as the option to auto-reject everything from a community-based list of known spammers and marketers. Call spam may not be an issue to some people but once you get on a few call lists it's really tough to get off them. It also identifies actual humans who call you, and they have a separate dialer app too if you want better integration.

The app is free and the premium features don't seem to do much other than exist as a "support the developer" kind of thing.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well now that Pushbullet is a mother fucker of a company who is going subscription instead of being a paid app, is there a decent alternative? I just want to SMS from my computer, and PBs 100 message limit is ridiculous.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

Why is it bad for them to do a subscription model for features that they incur an ongoing cost to maintain? It seems that's the only viable way for them to offer such things?
They are offering a bunch of poo poo I don't want or need, at a very high relative cost. It's like cable television. All I want is sms on my computer. If they absolutely cannot make this happen without some big expensive server infrastructure, then charge a subscription fee I guess. But as it stands I feel like I'm just being oversold, so I uninstalled.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

MightyText actually has a standalone desktop client now.

http://mightytext.net/desktop-app
Had no idea about this, thanks. Works much better than the wonky Firefox integration.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Zedge is fine, the only annoying thing it does very infrequently send you a notification to come look at the new ringtones

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm looking for an audio equalizer app, specifically for Spotify because theirs sucks, but system-wide would be fine as well. Any good candidates?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The FB app works fine for me and has for years. Google Play Services uses 5-10 times as much battery as Facebook in Marshmallow.

Also I can't share photos/links to a Firefox mobile bookmark

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bhodi posted:

I haven't actually had a survey since I upgraded to marshmallow. I was getting one per day before. I wonder what's broken?
I hadn't realized it until you posted, but this seems to be the case for me as well. My free games :(

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fishmech posted:

Maybe those of you who have suddenly got less surveys should double check that location history reporting is still enabled. Sometimes it gets disabled during a major upgrade.
Sure as poo poo, mine was toggled off for my MXP, proably since the Android M update. Thanks!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thirding Truecaller. It is a nice app although it does pop up at stupid times like when you get off the phone with someone you actually know.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

A few of my apps have the option for Google Now cards, which I enabled, but I've yet to see them show up. I doubt any developer will figure out a useful way to implement them and we'll just turn them off like app notifications

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Since hating on the FB app seems to be the sentiment of the day, how are you guys sharing photos/links/etc to Facebook after you have the app uninstalled? Are you also uninstalling Messenger?

edit: Ok, Metal is cool as hell

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

vyst posted:

Maybe microsoft will unfuck Swiftkey flow.
This would be the best possible outcome

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Heners_UK posted:

I'm after some minimal and simple ringtones and alert tones that can get me past the full-orchestra-concert-length stuff that comes with any particular phone. Now, Googling this produces either overpriced or otherwise suspicious "free ringtones that will remind you of Crazy Frog, just accept our app's permissions" links.

I'll be honest, I'm turning to you all since I think the App thread will know where to get them. Thoughts?

I use Zedge. It has banner ads but that's it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Whizbang posted:

Do their sex dungeons have SMS fallback?
They constantly scan your conversations for safewords

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm going to break into all your houses and write "preferences are not moral imperatives" on your face in sharpie while you sleep.
why don't you just message it to me on my non-sms app of choice

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Moto Migrate was too good for this world :angel:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I see Mighty Text has gone the route of Pushbullet by trying to become a lovely monthly subscription service and severely limiting the number of texts you can send as a free user. Are there any alternatives out there?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm ok with one time purchases; I buy no-ads/premium of everything I use. But sending a few kilobytes of data from my PC to my phone every month hardly qualifies as SaaS. Their poo poo costs $5/month which is pretty high. Hoping Google finally just unfucks SMS at some point with PC based RCS or Microsoft improves Cortana to the point I don't have to worry about it any more.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

Google+ location sharing is not possible from an iOS device. It's one of the main reason my girlfriend when from an iPhone 6s to a Pixel.
You may know the only person in history to put forth actual effort in order to keep using Google+

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there a podcast app that will let me also play music in the background? Hoping to listen to some running podcasts while running but still be able to play some tunes from DI.fm or Spotify

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Heners_UK posted:

You mean overlay the podcast audio on top of music?
Yep. Nike + Run Club does this for their guided runs but hoping there's a podcast player that can as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just tested with Beyondpod, and if I start the music first, and then the podcast, they will play on top of each other.
Thanks for testing! Going running in the morning and will hopefully be able to do this on my S9+