Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Humerus posted:

Any chance on changing lockscreen wallpaper separately from home screen?
I'm not aware of anything but it'll be part of stock Android with N.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

TwistedNails posted:

Seriously, I miss having all of my friends on MSN and AIM. Facebook messenger is close to being there but I still know a lot of people that won't use social media or make a facebook page. SMS/MMS are awful and slow, I also have too many family members way out in rural areas that can't get MMS to work at all.
Not that it'll help with everyone, but Facebook Messenger doesn't require an account anymore.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Wrist Watch posted:

Couldn't you just set up recurring events in google calendar? If you use a computer to log on you can even create a new, uh, calendar category thing for them to go under so you can disable them on other devices if you want.

I use this a lot for weekly stuff I'd forget otherwise.
I do this for some stuff, then I use Tasks (based off of the Astrid source code) for other things that I need to make sure I mark as complete before they disappear.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Montalvo posted:

Tapet was just updated to add a colour palette maker. This is a pretty significant update and is just about the one feature the app was missing, in my opinion.
Tapet seems nice enough but when I downloaded it to try it out, a little while later it decides to change my wallpaper to something random and gives me a notification about how I just got a free premium wallpaper and I should upgrade, so I uninstalled it immediately after that.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Skarsnik posted:

Um, that's kind of the point of it
I probably should have pointed out that it wasn't enabled at the time

datajosh
May 3, 2002

gently caress, I guess I should've looked deeper in the settings instead of just playing around with the patterns and colors

datajosh
May 3, 2002

TwistedNails posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree with your entire post. It has 2.1 million downloads and a rating of 4.5 of 5 stars on google play, it cannot be anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. The good thing for him is the keyboard is free for him to try it out, if he hates it like you do he can always uninstall it and try something else. I still think it is a good keyboard and I enjoy using it.
SwiftKey is a good keyboard but swiping with it is a frustrating experience.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

always be closing posted:

I have used talon pro in the past and loved it, but I think I stopped using it when the dev stopped working on it and got a job a Twitter. Has it been updated lately?
That was Falcon Pro, Talon is another app from a different developer

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Pruney posted:

Well I'll simply ask, if anyone has the knowledge. Are there any other Snapchat apps that aren't Casper? It's down the majority of the time.

Thankyou in advance
I can't remember the last time I heard of one, Snapchat actively tries to block them. There was an Xposed module at one point but, last I heard, the dev gave up on it. I'm probably not the best source though since I haven't used Snapchat or rooted my phone in a while now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Pruney posted:

I also don't have my phone rooted which I've never got round to doing, should probably change that.
It really depends. I always rooted my phones up until last March when I got the S7 Edge and I haven't missed it at all.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Yeah, if you wanna goof off at work, you gotta get serious and use Remote Desktop

datajosh
May 3, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Twitter's API does not allow for poll support so that's impossible.
I'm not sure it supports the longer tweets either. They really don't want people using third party apps.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I can't wait to be able to talk to myself on another platform

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Kiger_Soze posted:

Is there anyway to disable AMP in chrome? I can't loving take it anymore... Or do I need to just switch browsers?
You can't and it's not just a Chrome thing

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

I hate AMP pages. Every time I read an Ars news article I want to hit the comments too. Which means I have to delete the amp string from page's url.. so I just do it every time I get to an article. Before AMP I didn't need to do anything extra, just read the news, read the comments. Now I need to start the whole shitshow with clicking the url bar, scrolling around, backspacing some characters away, reloading the page.. god drat. Is this all Google's fault yet again?
There's supposed to be a link button in the headers now that'll give you the original URL, but yes, AMP is Google's fault.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

I read an article about how poo poo a lot of the VPN apps for Android are; is there a good one out there somewhere?
The article I saw about that mentioned a couple:

quote:

Reputable partly free VPN services include Avast's SecureLine VPN and Avira's Phantom VPN There's also F-Secure's Freedome VPN; it costs $6 per month to use, but was singled out as being especially trustworthy by the authors of the VPN-app research paper we mentioned earlier.
I've used Freedome before but only briefly.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

It might be one of those scenarios where you can only still see it if you've had it installed before.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Fart of Presto posted:

Yesterday, Android Police mentioned that Messenger Lite is now available in 132 additional countries (US, UK, CA not included), and now it looks like Facebook Lite is also generally available. At least it's available here in Denmark.

I'm honestly not really sure how I feel about the Lite version. It's great that you don't have to deal with this over-bloated piece of code that is the regular version, but the Lite version just feels "off" somehow.
Then again I'm not furiously checking my social media every 5 minutes, so I might not be the best judge.
The screenshots of FB Lite make it look like a Java dumbphone app from over a decade ago

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mogomra posted:

My brother showed me his GS8 a couple days ago. He had to get a new phone because the battery in his Nexus 6 took a huge dump. It's got Google Assistant installed, and a dedicated button for Bixby, Samsung's answer to Google Assistant and Siri from what I can tell.

He told me half the time the button doesnt even do anything! Astounding! :monocle:
Yeah, whatever they did to keep the button push from being caught by Accessibility services turned it from "button that launches useless app" to "button that sometimes launches useless app, usually with a delay".

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

Adguard has a sale on it's licenses right now and I'm interested, as I would like to ditch Firefox in favor of Chrome. Anyone have experience with it? Should I expect my battery to be drained and my browser history sent to Russia?
My wife and I have been using it for a while with no issues

datajosh
May 3, 2002

fishmech posted:

There's rumors that Android O or P might finally bring out a way to actually pick emoji sets systemwide in the same way you'd pick fonts or a language, but for now no OS on any sort of system offers a good way to do that.
I think that ended up being a bad interpretation of a feature that lets app developers include specific fonts just for their app, nothing system wide unfortunately.

sweart gliwere posted:

I'm remembering helping friends with their feature phones, to disable the stupid water/bubble noise which accompanied every tap. Hopefully that innovation lives on today
They did finally do away with that at some point, the S6 maybe?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a media player app that natively works with Chromecast? Right now I need to screenshare my entire phone to use VLC Player, which is a less-than-ideal set-up since I can't use my phone.
I usually just stream everything from my PC with Plex but AllCast might work

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Has anyone had any issues with e-mail notifications lately? I'm using Inbox and my wife is using Gmail and 95% of the time we won't get notifications on new e-mails coming in. Sync is on, notifications are on, I even set the apps up as "not optimized" in the battery optimization settings.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Blue Train posted:

You know apps can start on boot right
What Tunga was saying is that apps can't do this until the user launches the app for the first time.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything on this. I just got the Galaxy S8 and I love it and after spending so much time setting it up I'm looking for any apps/services I can use to do a full local hardware backup/restore for the phone's internal memory and the sd card in it. I want everything backed up.

Ideally I can just plug it into my PC, run the app on my phone/PC or whatever and just have it back up everything physically to an external drive. I don't want cloud services or anything. Surely such a thing exists competently?
For the S8, Samsung SmartSwitch should do most of that.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

I've looked at those but like I said I want to back up to an external HDD and Samsung smartswitch only let's me transfer/backup the internal storage to another Galaxy or to my own sd card (I want to back up both).

Maybe the route here is to look for a Windows program that does this for me.
There is a Windows version of SmartSwitch and it should do what you're looking for

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Montalvo posted:

Does anyone here have much experience with getting the Play store up and running on a Kindle Fire 8? I downloaded the APKs and sideloaded them just fine, but my downloads on the Play store are permanently stuck as being pending.

E: I've done the usual thing of clearing cache a and data and rebooting.
I ran into the same issue on my Fire 7 and haven't fixed it yet

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Google just sent me a survey about a Google search I did about twenty minutes ago, and gave me $0.83 for it. Has anybody seen that before?
I just got one tonight too but mine was $0.65

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Has anyone else stopped getting live sports score notifications from the Google app/Google Now recently? I had been getting them consistently ever since they introduced the feature but about a week ago it just stopped out of nowhere.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Blue Train posted:

So I've been using swype some more, is there a way to get rid of the swype button in the bottom left corner? That's really the only thing bugging me anymore cause I hit it on scene when I want to enter symbols
You cannot and there are also shortcuts that involve the Swype key.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Blue Train posted:

There is an app called kinscreen that keeps your screen on by detecting angle or motion which allows you to keep the screen timeout low but keep the screen on while you are using it. It also detects when It is laid down and will turn the screen off, and can allow indefinite screen on time via tapping the notification. It also allows turning on and off the screen via the proximity sensor so it comes on when you pull it out of your pocket. It's good

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teqtic.kinscreen
I might have to switch to this, I've been using Screebl for this purpose for forever now but it hasn't been updated in a couple of years and seems to have finally been delisted from the Play Store.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Today Weather just added a Pixel 2 style widget to the latest beta. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't show upcoming events like the Pixel Launcher's actual widget but it looks pretty good:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Try "Another Widget"
That's what I was using before today but the weather provider it uses isn't great for my area and often wouldn't update for hours. If the dev adds in other options for weather providers, I'll probably go back to it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm a bit shocked today to discover that Flamingo, which is overall a great Twitter app, apparently hardcoded its 140 character limit. Not that I've ever programmed extensively with the Twitter API, so I can't guarantee that it has a "getCharacterLimit()" function. Hope they update it soon. (I don't really tweet enough to justify setting up another app for it, and/or I'm lazy.)
Twitter hates third party apps. Polls have been around for two years and there's still no way to even see if a tweet has a poll attached to it with the API, so I doubt character limits were ever a part of it. I use Flamingo too and I imagine he'll have an update out soon.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

SuperiorColliculus posted:

This seems like a really obvious function, but a quick perusal of the API didn't turn it up.

If it's there, it's not super obvious (to me)
I don't think there was much of a use for it since the limit was a hard 140 characters until recently.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm curious if I should try 3rd party twitter apps, I've only used the official one so I'm not sure what features I'm missing out on.
The only reason I use one (Flamingo currently) is to view my timeline in chronological order and to save my place in the timeline. The official app sometimes does the latter but it's always been terribly inconsistent for me when I've tried it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

revolther posted:

Don't feel bad. It like literally just became possible to do in the last version of android or so, lastpass was basically useless as an android app forever. Renaming the lastpass bookmarklet worked for hacky autofilling into browsers though.
I believe LastPass has been able to autofill login info via the accessibility services for almost 4 years now, but you did need the premium subscription to use the Android app for a while. It worked really well for me for a long time but eventually having the accessibility service would slow my phone down after about 24 hours of uptime so I stopped using the autofill. The beta seems to work great with apps that support Oreo's API so far. Now we just have to wait for every app that requires a login to support it, which I'm sure will happen really, really soon.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

YggiDee posted:

Has SwiftKey just poo poo the bed for anyone else? Half of the suggestions are nonsense, choosing a predicted word slaps half of the same word at the end of it, ('suggested' becomes 'suggestedsugg') the spacebar is sticking random vowels everywhere, and all my words keep ending in periods.

...How's Swype? All the Swype reviews are about how much it sucks now.
Yeah, SwiftKey has been progressively getting worse for me. I've been considering just clearing all my data from it and starting over to see if that helps any. Being able to manually remove poo poo from my dictionary without waiting for it to pop up randomly would be a nice addition.

Swype is the greatest at swiping for text input, but it feels like it hasn't changed much in the past few years. I'm still not quite sure why Nuance bought them and it certainly hasn't provided any benefits to users.

Right now I'm using Gboard until it decides to gently caress up since it seems to be my least lovely option at the moment.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

LastInLine posted:

My experience that I detailed in the Android thread aside, what exactly do you want Swype to do that it doesn't? What do you want them to change besides just fixing the bugs? Do you want them to invent new letters or come up with a new layout?

I mean I like change for change's sake but Swype introduces so many bugs with every fix that I'm not sure I trust their wheel reinvention department enough to say they need to iterate faster.
I'm going to give it another go but I wish there were some better themes, better emoji support, that it wouldn't sometimes think I'm trying to swipe while tap typing, and that I wouldn't hit the period instead of the space bar so often. But that last one is definitely more on me than them. It's been long enough that I don't remember more than those but I used to love Swype and it was my primary keyboard for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Ola posted:

Maybe I should just publish some crap and buy it myself.
There used to be an app called Cashify that would convert it for you until someone used stolen credit cards to get Google Play gift cards and cash them out with the app. Not that it was a terribly great way to "spend" your credit anyway, Google takes a 30% cut of all store purchases and then the dev took a 10% cut as well.