Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Mikl posted:

Tried this, but the actions I want to do aren't among the ones Tasker can do and inputting stuff using the touchscreen requires the phone to be rooted and mine isn't. Oh well, it was a good try nonetheless.

Allowing one app to call up another and touch arbitrary points on the screen would be a huge security risk, you're not going to find that capability without rooting.

Edit: There's at least a couple out there, but they do require root.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Funso Banjo posted:

I am using Podcast Addict, and having an annoying problem.

When I press the button on my headphones to pause/unpause my current podcast, sometimes it rewinds at the same time as unpausing it. It's really annoying, anyone know of a fix, or if I have screwed it up somehow?

What phone do you have? I have a very similar problem, but in Beyondpod. I had it on both my BLU phones, both models branded Vivo. I haven't had it on any other device.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Never heard about the calibration thing, that might explain why I'm always yelling at maps apps to stop pointing in the wrong direction.

Honestly though, I don't really see the point to having a heading/compass on the phone. If you just have a map where up is north and then, like, look around you, it isn't generally hard to tell which direction you're heading. I honestly would rather just shut it off and not have it be a thing; if I'm using navigation, it can just assume I'm facing in the direction of the blue line.

Is there any way to just disable the compass?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'll give Bluestacks a try, thanks!

Alternatively, you could just try installing the x86 version of Android in a Virtualbox. I haven't it tried it yet myself.. but I'm about to.

Edit: It works well. Sort of a pain to get it run properly in portrait. Tip: If you change the video mode by editing menu.lst, also specify a DPI setting of at least 160 to avoid crashes.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 17, 2017

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Does anybody know of an app that lets you choose ringtone and notification sounds with a file browser or something instead of dumping you into this useless massive unsortable unsearchable list of every goddamn audio file on your device?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hey thread, I started using Syncthing a few months ago to my home server with great success, avoiding needing cloud services for file storage. I realized I could use this to share things with my girlfriend, but I need to make it super easy for her.

I can use Solid Explorer to create a folder shortcut on the home screen, but I'm looking for a way to add a specific folder to the "Share To" menu. I can share to Solid Explorer or to Syncthing, but in both cases you then have to specify which folder/share you're dropping into, and like I said, I need to make this easy. i want her to be able to just pick my name from the "Share To" list and have it copy the object to the prespecified folder. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I tried searching around, but no matter how I arranged my terms I just got various cloud sharing apps and other things, nothing that says it can add a folder to the "Share To" list.

Also if possible, I'd like to get a notification on my phone whenever a new file shows up in that shared folder, does anyone know of anything to do that?

And just to contribute, I've been using the app CalendarSync to create and manage calendars syncing to simple .ics files shared via syncthing, and it's been working beautifully without having to put any calendar data in the cloud. I've also been using Todo.txt (for the app) and SimpleTask (for the widget) along side a simple shared todo.txt file to keep track of lists of things; notes, shopping, etc. It works just fine for all kinds of lists besides just 'todo'. Private flat file, no cloud, exactly what I need. I've also been using this Powershell script for Outlook to export my calendar to another .ics, also synced. Only problem is it has to be done manually due to Outlook's security prompt; but it works wonderfully.

I am deeply, deeply in love with Syncthing.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Celexi posted:

The mobile layout on the sa forums is like really bad, you could say it is... something awful.

We really should get some new ownership on here or something.

Seconding/Thirding/Whatever Awful App though, it's always worked well for me.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Echophonic posted:

That's certainly one strategy to avoid an antitrust suit. Trip over your own dick owning like half a dozen competing apps or services.

In their defense, they do try to reduce the number of competing apps and services by getting rid of the ones that work fairly regularly.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nine has been the go-to for a long time, but it's not cheap.

Do you know if Nine lets you get around the whole "Give your work permission to wipe your whole device" thing that normal Outlook wants? If it lets me get work email on my phone while also keeping it totally sandboxed, that'd be worth the $15.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can you sign in using a work profile? That sandboxes the whole work environment, all the apps, notifications, everything.

Well thank you, I had no idea what was a thing! I could indeed do that. That would certainly do it; but email is the only thing I'd want separate, so if Nine can handle it that way it'd still be nice to avoid having to set up and switch around to a separate profile.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Guy Axlerod posted:

You don't have to "switch" anything for the work profile, the work apps just run under this sandboxed environment.

In that case I have no idea what ya'll are talking about. When I search up "Android Work profile", I see stuff about Android Enterprise, something I know nothing about. This is just my personal phone, my work just uses O365.

Further searching turns up "Intune Company Portal", is this what you mean? I have no idea if my office has that or not, but I'll try it and find out.

Edit: Yeah, when I try to set up the Intune Company Portal it demands permission to administer my device, which is exactly what I don't want. Screw it, I'll get Nine.

Edit2: Yeah Nine looks pretty great. I like the 'vip' thing for email alerts. It can also sync contacts from the GAL without messing with your device contacts, if you tell it to. They won my money.

You can pay for it early from the About screen, if you don't want to wait until the 2 week expiration.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 19, 2020

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I have a few different phones & tablets in my device list, so for the sake of it I checked out that app in the play store to see what devices it'd push to. The only one it's apparently compatible with is my Onyx Note2, the black-and-white e-ink reading tablet.

El-oh-el, Adobe.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Party Boat posted:

What's the best way to get Whatsapp video calling working on an Android device that doesn't have an attached phone number?

If you've already got it working on your phone and you're comfortable getting & using ADB on a PC, you could try backing up the app data from your phone and restoring it on the tablet and see if that works. If you're at all familiar with the windows command line, it shouldn't be that difficult.

https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/182381/is-it-possible-to-backup-and-restore-an-app-with-data-via-adb

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is there a good app to let you drag and drop files from your PC to your phone, and listen to your phone audio on you PC, both wirelessly? Dropbox isn't fitting my needs and I tried Microsoft's Your Phone app and it's hot garbage.

For file transfer, I use Syncthing. Set up a shared folder on my home server, any files I drop there magically show up in the paired folder on my phone, tablet, and Android e-reader. I do this with things like emulator saves etc. also for passive syncing. I do also use Solid Explorer to access my file shares directly sometimes.

For phone audio, Windows 7 used to be able to act as a bluetooth audio device, but for some reason they chucked that capability and I never found a perfect replacement. Right now I use a logitech bluetooth adapter with a 3.5mm stereo cable plugged in to my PC's line in, with 'listen to this device' turned on. If you think that might work for you, the current version of that device is here. I believe there are client/server apps that can stream audio over wifi, but IMO the bluetooth box is just easier and doesn't require installing more junk.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

SpiderLink posted:

I can second this, it can be a bit tricky to get going, so definitely make a backup and test a bit so you don't accidentally delete everything. It hasn't happened to me but I have a friend, you see, who didn't realize that deleting files in a monitored directory can sync the deletion. You can even make it sync to an NAS for extra security.

Thirding Syncthing. Keep in mind that if you're using Syncthing to your home pc/server rather than a cloud service, you'll also need your own backup scheme, since deletions and corruptions are synced also. But it's great for making use of the hardware resources you already have to avoid relying on anyone's cloud.

I have both mine and my gf's DCIM/photos folders automagically synced to my home server and backed up from there.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Can anyone offer advice for this?

I'm looking for a handwriting app that has its own file extension and can just open a file of that extension, arbitrarily saved or attached wherever I want it, edit it, and re-save it back to the same place it was opened from. You know, like every other document editor through the entire history of computing has worked. I don't care if it's paid, I'm happy to spend money on something that works.

Unfortunately every handwriting app I can find wants to be your singular notetaking app, and that doesn't work for me, because I already have all my notes in Joplin and I'm not going to handwrite them all out somewhere else. I just want to be able to attach handwritten files to my Joplin notes, and be able to open those attached files for inking in some app.

Every time I try to search for this, I find a half-dozen new apps I haven't seen before, but they all work out of their own little notes sandbox and can only interact outside it by exporting and importing. I'm getting kind of tired of buying and refunding handwriting note apps.

The closest thing I've found is just called "Write", but it saves notebooks as sets of .html and .svg, which I don't believe will work for attaching to notes because it won't handle opening file sets like that.

Edit: Argh, I'm an idiot! I was apparently using an old version of "Write"! "Write 3" from Stylus Labs works exactly like I need!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 16, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

What to-do app is recommended? Currently using Todoist but I didn't know if there was something better (on a free tier) out there.

If you're looking for simple, I use todo.txt. No cloud, no login, just a text file named todo.txt that the app reads & writes. You can give items categories & tags and drop widgets that filter on these (e.g. having a shopping list widget filtered on a 'shopping' category). You can give items due dates, and I believe it records the date & time an item is checked off. But it's all stored in a simple text file on your device, which you can sync with anything that lets you sync a local file, and edit elsewhere with any text editor. I'm already using Syncthing to keep one particular folder shared between all my devices, so I keep my todo.txt there. Simple and works great.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I just set up 'syncthing' to back up my phone media to my windows server, and it works loving amazing and it's the perfect replacement for cloud-based backup like google photos. It was easy to set up and works perfectly.

Syncthing is awesome but as a general reminder, it is not a backup program, it is a sync program. If something happens to your phone media, deletion or corruption or whatever, Syncthing's job will be to immediately make the same thing happen to the synced folder on the server. It's really important that you're actually backing up the synced folder on your server as well.

Sorry if you're already doing this, maybe I've just seen too many reddit posts not understanding this, I just feel like it should be mentioned when someone brings up sync-as-backup in case anyone gets the wrong idea about how it works.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 4, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, I think I changed a setting so that it can't delete items from the sync folder on the server. Didn't hurt to check!

AFAIK there is no setting in Syncthing like that. If you haven't already you might want to verify this by deleting a file from your phone and seeing if it disappears from the server.

Edit: I'm wrong, there is an ignoreDelete advanced option. I'd still advise avoiding relying on Syncthing that way, and have some other backup in place.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 4, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't this ensuring that deletion on the server won't delete stuff on the phone?

What that is doing is ensuring that the files on the target always match the source. If you delete from the source, it will delete on the target. So if the server is receive-only, deletes on the server will not remove from the phone, but deletes on the phone will still remove from the server.

I understand the desire to want to auto-dump every photo/video you take onto a server and then delete it from the phone without worry, and that should work with send only->receive only syncing and the ignoreDelete option, just be aware that's not a function 'officially' supported by Syncthing. There's a discussion in it here, and it basically comes down to - Syncthing was designed to make two folders identical, and while source->target still does that, ignoring deletes is essentially forcing a mismatch that might have unpredictable results. The best way to use Syncthing is to point it at a folder on two different devices to make them effectively the same folder, and then use something else to copy them around from there; a script or any one of a thousand kinds of backup software. It will also save you a lot of confusion to do it that way; your "PhonePictures" folder on your server is exactly your "Pictures" folder on your phone, period, done, no further thinking about what Syncthing is doing is required.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 5, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

SpiderLink posted:

I settled on trying gPodder on my PC.

Sorry I'm responding now after you've already done all that, but I actually use MediaMonkey on PC for this and it works really well.

In the global podcast options, I have the "Download podcasts to:" set to "D:\Music\PodcastCollections\<Podcast>\<Date> - <Title>". It results in a bunch of files that start with YYYY-MM-DD, that sort very cleanly.

It sounds like you've already gotten it taken care of, but this is also an option.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Medullah posted:

I have a long audiobook that is unfortunately just one audio file. What app do you guys use that can track progress on books?

I've used both Listen Audiobook Player and Smart Audiobook Player and they both will handle this just fine. I switched from one to the other at one point but they're so similar to each other I can't remember which one I used more recently or why, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking for some kind of basic notes app that would let me pull up some text as fast as possible, preferably, a single tap.
Any fancy features are not required.

If by 'basic notes' you mean like, a folder of .txt files, I use Markor for this and it works great. Pick a folder, it'll drop a widget showing all the files in that folder, tap to open. I don't know if it has any kind of cloud integration, I have my notes folder shared via Syncthing.