Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

Why is it we care about Schmidt's sexual inclinations?

I don't think we care, because we'd all do the same thing with Schmidt's money if we had it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's new with the Android Samsung 7 update? How do i get rid of the annoying VoLTE sign at the top of the screen? Cheers

I would be glad you even have VoLTE as an option.

As for removing anything from the top of the screen - The Good Lock app might help with this! Of course it will change everything else but that's just a fun side effect.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
My only complaint with Join is that it doesn't support MMS. Other than that it's great.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

NihilCredo posted:

Is there a way to have my phone automatically switch profiles (toggle off sound, wifi, bluetooth) on the basis of on my current location, without giving my home address to anybody who doesn't already know it? In other words, using only apps that are either made by Google or open source?

Yes, Tasker can do this.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also how do I make it not display the time and date when the screen is off?
Disable the screen saver in the display settings

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Maaan, Google Messenger updated and they made the text things into bubbles. I preferred the rectangles, they didn't look exactly like iOS.

I think the bubbles look great. The new app icon is fantastic. So good.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

I just want my messaging to work in a browser too. Is RCS going to be that?

Nope!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lord Lambeth posted:

Are there any general fitness apps that are worth their salt on the play store? Any recommendations for one in particular?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pipit.agc

"Abusive Gym Reminder is an app that tracks your gym habits and calls you a loser when you miss gym days. It is free, open source, and contains no ads."

"Abuse level can be increased to contain profanity, body shaming, etc. Messages get pretty rough. Please don't download "Abusive Gym Reminder" if you think you may be offended."

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I have Power Toggles and Twilight installed. I want to be able to bring up the quick settings dialog for Twilight using a Power Toggles button instead of the notification bar Twilight uses by default.

Is this possible? Or am I stuck using either Twilight's notification bar or opening the whole app through a Power Toggle button?

On a similar note, is there anything like f.lux that will actually change the color temperature of your screen instead of overlaying a filter without rooting?

Twilight can hook into Tasker. You might be able to create an action for this.

And there's no rootless f.lux thing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Join supports MMS in the beta version but it's kinda buggy. For group chats it'll show all the messages as coming from you. But it otherwise works fine and you can send pictures too.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

morcant posted:

I'm a fairly recent convert to Android (Google Pixel sepcifically), but my main computer is still a Mac, and I use iTunes for listening to music and playlist management. Does anyone have any protips for getting iTunes playlists - specifically smart playlists - onto their Android? So far my search has come up with a great lot of nothing.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/play/riiVREJszSs;context-place=forum/play

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Dark themes are terrible though. Only nerds like them and normals all prefer easy-to-read, aesthetically pleasing dark text on a bright field with colorful UI elements. Everything I can think of that goes the other way is either straight up nerd poo poo (Steam, WinAmp skins) or just awful design (cable box UIs).

Android looked like trash the three times they tried a dark theme (Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich) so why should they do it again? All it does is make things gloomy and difficult to read and it certainly turns more people off than is necessary.

source your quotes

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I use reminders through the assistant pretty regularly -- for example: "remind me to call so and so tomorrow morning". The default calendar agenda widget shows them but it ugly as sin. The Today widget looks nice but doesn't show reminders in line with calendar items. Is there a widget folks can recommend? Is there an app in general that works well with Google assistant's "remind me" feature? Keep doesn't seem to do this.

Inbox

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2017/03/10/google-hangouts-allo-duo-questions/amp/

So, right now we have confirmation from the horse's mouth that consumer hangouts isn't going anywhere in the near term.

That makes me happy, but it also means that Google has three different hangouts apps now.

Will consumer Hangouts remain A Thing once Allo reaches feature parity with it?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

It won't until they integrate SMS

Yeah, so they just need to do this then:

bull3964 posted:

They've already previewed a web based Allo, so it's coming (that should eliminate the one device limitation.)

At that point, it should effectively become hangouts v2, but the lift is getting people to switch to it.

Here would be an effective strategy for messaging for Google and they already have all the pieces.

Merge Allo and Messages and make it so the resultant app is required as part of Play Services on new phones and subsequent OS updates.

This new app should have a corresponding web app.

All messages, regardless of source, are synced between devices/web.

Multiple levels of message fallback (native then RCS then SMS/MMS.)

You designate which number is going to be the source of your SMS fallback, and Google routes SMS through the device that currently owns that number no matter where you send from.

That, right there, is something that can be done with what they have today, they just need the will to do it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

cage-free egghead posted:

Is that sloth... dabbing?

It gets better, though

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

Better this than a single cohesive messaging app, right Google?

If the single cohesive messaging app Google releases in 5 years has these dope stickers then it will all have been worth it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
It showed up in my Maps! Praise Google and its mysteries.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Looks cool but it doesn't seem to have a schedule widget which is what I'm looking for. Also one that incorporates upcoming reminders.

Basically I want the schedule widget for the calendar except transparent :spergin:

Looks like the "reminder" calendar is not exposed to third party apps. So you're stuck with the Goog

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

f#a# posted:

I know it's too late but I used Today pretty effectively for a while.

That one has an updated version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.underwood.calendar_beta
7 day free trial, though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DuckConference posted:

The first couple of time lapse apps I tired in app store had awful video quality, so I made a simple free one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.technologyisawful.simpletimelapse

Bless you.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

Google Photos is probably one of the best apps/services Google has ever created.

Went on vacation with my family and Photos made organizing and sharing the ton of photos we took fun and easy.

Also, the stuff it creates from your photos can be pretty great, like this photo I took at Epcot with my 6P.

(as an aside, we decided to skip taking our real cameras this time. Wife has a Pixel XL and I've got the 6P, and we've got no regrets!)

Couldn't even wait for a monorail train to come around. For shame.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

The s8 would look so loving good if it was like an inch or so shorter

Ya I'm not sure why 18:9 is a thing with these new phones.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I hate everything and everyone.

:negative:

I only ever use the top three, though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Do you hold your phone upside down or do you not want the three most used ones closer to your thumb for some other reason?

Muscle memory is a hell of a drug

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm guessing outside of rooting my phone there's no way to change the emoji style on my Samsung S7? The Samsung emojis are just terrible.

Your phone is defective; return it

(The new Android O emojis are probably just as bad, though)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Medullah posted:

Can you use Google Keyboard and use it's emoji pack?

Not without root. Emoji are a system-wide thing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

vyst posted:

I can pick emoji type in my messaging app without root. How is this different?

What is your messaging app?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

syscall girl posted:

If you're excite from keyboard on television pocket monster box for communicate (sometimes) just put swiftkey on it. The emoji one.

Take your loving meds, goddamn

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

syscall girl posted:

Dude or madam you're posting about android apps on the world's deadest gayest website
Point taken, but at least my posts are coherent!

quote:

how grey should this place be? What's your contribution?

:10bux:

quote:

I just gave a recc for the Swiftkey(tm) brand of emoji keyboard .apks and you want to check your coffee levels on me?

Yeah Swiftkey is cool and good

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Scudworth posted:

Stickers. More stickers. Always more stickers.

They just added a feature that turns your selfies into stickers, so

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sweart gliwere posted:

Is there a way to choose systemic fonts in 5, 6, etc? I don't recall that

Not in stock android but Samsung phones can do it

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sweart gliwere posted:

Yeah, that's my favorite crazy Samsung carryover from WinMo6 or whatever. Those sweet red flags, when you spot someone in the wild with that childlike comic sans derivative

Choco Cooky :argh:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
It's never any of the other options. It's always Choco Cooky. Why they don't make that the default is beyond me!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

I don't have a Samsung

Defend your (lack of) purchase!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He said it never asked for permissions. As in it needed them, never requested them, then silently failed.

Sounds like an issue for the application developer to address.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

XIII posted:

So, is there a top choice for an app to manage screen brightness? I've used Lux for years, but it's a crashy mess on Android O. Obviously, O is still beta software, but Lux hasn't been updated in over a year, so I don't foresee it getting fixed. The stock Android auto-brightness is way too bright. I also like that you can create different profiles in Lux for things like day/night, so it would be cool to retain that ability.

don't use preview software and expect your apps to work; they just now finalized the APIs for O anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

effika posted:

I signed into Facebook Messenger for about an hour yesterday, then decided to uninstall it when I kept getting contacts "waving" at me.

I've uninstalled it, logged out of it on Facebook, yet I still get these idiots waving at me via messages on Facebook. It never happened before signing into Messenger.

Anything I can do app-wise to stop it? Or am I just going to have to deal with knowing all my Facebook friends are idiots forever?

Edit: signed in, signed out, and went to Facebook to log out the session. Hopefully that has fixed it.

What do you mean by "waving" ??