Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

If the solution to input on a tablet is a keyboard, you haven't solved anything.

Ehh, I'm not sure thats exactly true.

If you don't need a keyboard for input 95% of the time why have it attached to the device?

Not saying that's the most common use case or that the tablet can even serve that 95% case...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yes, I agree, but that's not exactly what I was saying.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I guess then I don't understand what you're saying.

Hmm, lets approach it this way.

Is the fact that some people require a keyboard for their iPad some small portion of the time a sign that the iPad hasn't solved anything?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'd say there's a difference between "nice to have" and "necessary". Can you write a paper on an iPad without a keyboard? Yes. Can i turn off my ChromeOS preference for auto-hiding for the shelf without a mouse? No.

If there's no solution for navigating the UI by touch on a touch-only device and the "solution" is buying something to make it not touch-only, I wouldn't consider that solving anything. Workarounds aren't solutions, they're mitigations.

I don't exactly disagree with that.

I was highlighting the idea that in the general case a tablet requiring a keyboard infrequently doesn't mean that tablet hasn't solved anything.

What if you only had to have the keyboard to toggle a setting you might only toggle a couple times a year? I wouldn't say that means the tablet hasn't solved anything.

Note that I don't need or want a tablet at all, but say that I did... even in the example you give here I'd toggle the auto-hide shelf setting once and then probably never touch it again. What if the tablet met all my needs the rest of the time. Does that mean it didn't solve anything for me?

FWIW, it sounds like ChromeOS on a tablet is a clusterfuck right now, so I'm not defending it. I'm just talking about generalities here.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

Ostensibly, that is a device that was designed to provide a full-touch ChromeOS experience. If it doesn't provide that, I'm not sure what it's solved.
Your earlier iPad comparison strikes me as sorta bizarre. The keyboard (or Pencil) provide additional features, they don't plug holes. That is not the Tab 10. The Tab 10 requires additional hardware not included to enable and execute basic features that every other Chromebook can do.

I'm not claiming the ChromeOS device has solved anything. AFAICT it's a niche piece of junk that your average tablet buyer shouldn't be buying.

Like I said I wasn't talking about the ChromeOS device or the iPad.

I was talking about the idea that a device requiring a keyboard to do something does not mean the device does not solve any problems. "Plugging holes" vs "providing addtional features" is a distinction without a difference. A keyboard on an ipad provides the additional feature that you can type long form text without fatigue or whatever. The ipad has the hole-to-be-plugged that you can't type long form text without fatigue.

Anyway, forget about any specific device, that's irrelevant to what I'm talking about. I was exploring the general idea whether a tablet requiring a keyboard to do some specific things means that the tablet is worthless or not.

edit: wtf i thought this was the tablet thread

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ola posted:

What is ChromeOS supposed to provide beyond ad spying on the desktop anyway?

It's the most low-maintenance experience you can have at a computer.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd want a ChromeOS tablet as opposed to an iPad, though. Or even an Android tablet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

I'll try not to spend too many words responding since I didn't realize this was the app thread, either... I'd used the phrase "plugging holes" as shorthand for "a way around a flaw that prevents you from doing something you're expected to be able to do," which maybe just isn't as clear as I thought. Essentially, nobody buys a tablet expecting a great long-form typing experience, whereas most people would expect "go home" to be a basic software thing that you shouldn't need additional hardware to do. One of those is a flaw in design and it makes sense to differentiate between those types of things.

To be clear...again, I wasn't defending the flaws of ChromeOS. I don't care about ChromeOS tablets, I was talking about the general idea that was spurred by LastInLines original comment. Namely, does a device called a "tablet" that requires a keyboard to do Task X solve any problems? Should we disregard such a device as useless? What kinds of Task X do we care about that makes a device useful or not?

I probably shouldn't have sprung from his comment and just made a virgin post as it seems to have confused the issue.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's what 90 percent of my surveys have been for years.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

There's no need to switch from Inbox.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Inbox is on maintenance mode and is basically yet another app that Google has given up on, whereas Gmail is actively added to. Inbox isn't being shut down, but why would anyone want to be stuck on it?

Why would you be stuck?

When there's a reason to switch, there's a reason to switch. If there's something in gmail you like right now more than what your'e getting out of Inbox right now, then go ahead and switch.

If there's not then don't. I'ts not like if you don't hurry up and switch you're stuck or something.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have Google app abandonment ptsd ok??

That's so fuckin'...

actually, given Google that's pretty reasonable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I get waiting to the last minute but at the same time I find it's less jarring to make the switch early and feel like you're doing it by choice rather than being forced to. I like feeling I have control even when I don't.

To be clear, I'm not advocating waiting to the last minute.

I'm just advocating not being anxious about it or anything like that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Pinning and snoozing emails was the big thing that got me on Inbox because those are fantastic features.

edit: ^^ I was always at Inbox zero anyway, so I didn't need it for that getting there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I was going to just make the same reply, but now I'm trying to think of any of their other apps that just have a blatant advertisement somewhere...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I haven't used Waze in many months but I'm pretty sure I recall it showing me ads at every stop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

This week Google's rolling out a feature for the Clock app that let's you select stuff from Spotify as your alarm.

But there's no mention of GPM...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well, sorting things is a hard computer science thing which hardly any apps have ever implemented. Give them time to get their crack machine learning teams on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ola posted:

Because I rage and rebel against the capitalist panopticon up to the point where it causes mild inconvenience to me, then I crumble.

I like this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I use the quick replies constantly. They're pretty great.

Uthor posted:

I turned that poo poo off after the very first suggestion I got was to respond to my aunt being taken off life support with "sounds great".

I mean, you could've just not selected that option?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

spincube posted:

Not to speak for him, but it shouldn't have been an option for a response in the first place, given the context. If all the ~powered by AI~ brains can offer is a cheerful 'sounds great!' quip, in response to news of a family disaster, the ~magical AI~ needs its brain tweaking.

I don't think anyone, anywhere, at any time would say that it gave an appropriate response there...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm going to purge a bunch of users on my instance of ttrss mentioned in the OP who haven't logged in in over a year so if you want to keep your account login sometime in the next week-ish.

It's still open for registration so if you want a good Google Reader-esque rss feed aggregator/reader go ahead and register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

It seems like it's US only this time around according to this article on Android Police, where they also provide a link to check if you are eligeble.

Nice, the link in that article worked for me even though I didn't get anything telling me so in the YT Music app.

Of course, I've already got 4 Home Mini's and a Nest Hub Max...