Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Or just use a different file browser.

No no, stick with the one that works* and just leave everything else open to bugs and malware!

*Except for the part that's bad and unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It needs all of those to do the things it does.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Send them a certified letter with proof that you own the phone number and not whoever they're calling. It's against the law for them to continue to contact you, and if they do, you can sue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Everyone I hear talk about Android development makes it sound like a nightmare due to the variety of phones. If all they had to target was Nexus phones, it would be fine, but they have to deal with OEMs modifying the OS to suit their phones which introduce weird bugs and inconsistencies, and the most popular phones are from companies most notorious for doing it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Despite having barely a fifth of the worldwide phone shipments and half as many app downloads, the Apple App Store earned 70% more revenue than the Google Play Apps store. Even controlling for phone cost, I'm not sure you'd find things being particularly even, even if you could assume the top-end Android phones are selling 100% of apps.

That said, this might just suggest that Android users are more accepting of ad-based apps, while iOS users aren't, but I don't really know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So it was an entirely irrelevant statement that had nothing at all to do with what was being discussed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, Binge On makes all video low-res. But you can watch as much of it as you want!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blitter posted:

tldr; don't sent dick pics around as postcards.
...whoops

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

So, it seems like you can't download apps to an SD card without rooting. I was trying to put San Andreas on it, but there is barely enough room and everything else on there seems to be so small that I can't meaningfully clear off space, unless I am missing something. How can this be rectified? I see some applications say they can move other applications to an SD card, but I am not sure if that is what I want to do.

e: Welp, it barely runs on my phone anyway, so I'll just uninstall it. Still curious about how that type of problem can be solved.

Buy a phone with a sufficient amount of space instead of relying on removable storage for non-media data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey, I'm not the one who can't download stuff (or get to work at all (see guy in Android thread)) because I decided to rely on cheap, unreliable media instead of spending a little more on something vastly better.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 24, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whizbang posted:

You don't need the NAS, just use Google Photos.

Having backups in multiple places is a good thing and if it's largely trivial to do so (already has a NAS, and there's multiple easy methods to do it), why not?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice. I love that the first thing it tells you is that it will serve you ads so you know to delete it immediately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I know you aren't alone in wanting this because it gets brought up frequently but I can't imagine worrying about selecting the next thing to listen to when it's like an hour away. It's the same reason DVRs don't have playlists.
Literally every podcast player on every platform I've used has playlists. If Google Play Music is missing this, it's a huge oversight.

Never mind that podcasts come in a variety of lengths from a single minute (and maybe shorter!) to multiple hours.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Budgie posted:

Quite right too, it's a dying technology and several orders of magnitude more expensive for the end user.

SMS costs me exactly as much as any other messenger. Sorry about your garbage plan I guess.

Less, actually, since data is metered and SMS is not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't worry. Maybe Google will finally make a true knockoff iMessage in their 2017 messenger app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hangouts to be renamed Allo for Business and be completely incompatible with Allo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If a person you are messaging doesn't have Allo and has android wear, the notification and message will pop up on your wrist and you can hit reply, but it just says "Sent" and kills the message.

I'm sure all three people this applies to will be up in arms.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mogomra posted:

I think Android wear is a total fad and will flop too.
Considering no one is even bothering to make any new ones, the market agrees unironically.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I've also never heard of Buzz, and I've been following Google/Android stuff pretty closely.
Wikipedia to the rescue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Buzz

The short version is that it was a knockoff of Twitter that Google opted everyone into and used really weak security settings, so people started Buzzing stuff they didn't want public.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scudworth posted:

I average about 1000 texts a month, data costs money and SMS is unlimited and free. It's base standard for phones and not going anywhere.
Suck that 140KB of data is a huge burden to you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's new with the Android Samsung 7 update? How do i get rid of the annoying VoLTE sign at the top of the screen? Cheers

Turning off VoLTE would probably do that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The catch is that their fees are high compared to going to a traditional broker and buying some index funds, but that's about it, really.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never used Apex so can't answer that, sorry. For 99 cents though, on credit, just get it and find out yourself imo. That's basically free.

Whoa you want someone to pay almost one full US dollar for someone else's hours of hard work?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I've got my music player set to flat. I never got equalizers. It's like the audio engineers want the music to sound great out of the box but that's not good enough so it needs to be messed with.
This would make sense except is all headphones and speakers sounded the same. But they don't, so equalizers exist to adjust for your setup.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

For me it was their slowness in updating to the latest emoji. Why am I buying a phone that gets the latest updates to Android then using an app that assumes I'm two versions out of date?

Fragmentation strikes again!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It sucks that you have such a horrible job that they can't trust you with a phone, but I guess given that you've been punished, they're right out it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm an iOS person but I prefer Inbox on my phone just for the simple fact that it only notifies me for really important things. On any other device I just use the web site.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw that and was surprised Randall is an iPhone user.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

wouldn't SMS encompass all of them?

are there people who can't get a text on their smartphone?
You're assuming they have smartphones.

EDIT: Also that^^^

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yes, but the buttons are in an awkward place and I can't get the timing down right - I end up lowering the volume constantly as I try to take a screenshot. It may be due to the case.

Nevertheless, that's my point of looking for an alternative - I know it CAN take screenshots but was looking for something I can do quickly with one hand.

Sorry about your crippling arthritis, I guess?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chrome Remote Desktop?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Buy your mom a phone made in the past five years and a Tile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nimper posted:

Ya I'm not sure why 18:9 is a thing with these new phones.

You can display TWO square photos at a time! TWO!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly have never understood why anyone has cared unless you're talking to a single person across multiple apps. It's not like the apps take up much space or switching takes much effort. It would be *nice* to have everything in one place, sure, but it's not like a big deal if it's not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Every Samsung eventually switches to Choco Cooky.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't have a Samsung

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

couldcareless posted:

How much data are we talking? I use android auto regularly and I drive a lot for work, usually in and out of the car throughout the day. I'm nearly up on my monthly cycle and maps has only pulled 70MB. I have my area downloaded and I don't have anything turned off in terms of traffic alerts or the such.

Fi users minmax their data usage to save $1/month on their phone bills instead of just using their phones like a normal person.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

vyst posted:

Could be worse - they could add instant messaging to newsstand. Chat with your friends while you read your latest anime news.

You say this like people didn't love the social features in Google Reader.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The Google Weather Frog

I love that little bastard so much.

Nazi spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, ad company Google keeps a record of things you search for. Is this news to you?