Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any Pushbullet alternatives? I've used it for the longest time but am at the point where I'm reaching it's monthly SMS limits, and while it's convenient, it's not monthly fee convenient. I only use the SMS part of it, none of the other notification sharing features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Are you sure the apps are actually on your SD card and not an emulated internal SD card? Most of the time nowadays apps are only installed on three main system.

If you're not sure you can pull the SD card out and quickly tell.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Thought it was a swastika and inappropriate. I'm sure a lot of others would too.

To be fair, it *is* a Swastika...it's been a Buddhist symbol of peace auspiciousness for thousands of years - just kinda fell out of fashion in the last 80 years or so.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I got my Pixel XL and am loving it so far. Unfortunately the one thing my Note did better was taking screenshots. I can't seem to get the timing down right for the hardware buttons to take a screenshot.

Are there any recommended screenshot apps that can set up gestures to take screenshots? In a perfect world one that I could link to Nova Launcher and configure a gesture to double tap to take a picture.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

The Pixel/Pixel XL should also take screenshots if you press Power and Volume Down simultaneously, no need for a delay.

Yes, but the buttons are in an awkward place and I can't get the timing down right - I end up lowering the volume constantly as I try to take a screenshot. It may be due to the case.

Nevertheless, that's my point of looking for an alternative - I know it CAN take screenshots but was looking for something I can do quickly with one hand.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

There's no "timing". Just press and hold both of them at the same time.

Huh that's weird, mine must be broke then because half the time I try to take a screenshot they don't register at the same time so I end up lowering the volume/changing ringer level. Seems like that would be a timing issue with me not hitting them at the exact same time.

Either way, my point still remains that I'd rather have an option that doesn't require me pressing the hardware buttons. There's a billion screenshot apps, was just hoping someone would have a recommendation.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Long press circle, scroll down, "Share screenshot". Doesn't work on the home screen though.

Thanks, that works much better. Appreciate it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

My mom sends texts to both my wife and I from her iphone in some way that I can't get her to explain over the phone. I use Google Voice and when she does this, I get it as an email instead of in Hangouts. Wife who doesn't use Voice, gets it in Messages.

I assume it's coming as a MMS, but I thought Voice was supposed to support MMS messages now? I tested sending an MMS from my wife's phone to me and it came through in Hangouts just fine....

Anyone know WTF?

I just wanted to say that this started happening to me last week too. My dad has been texting my email.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Personally, I tried the Pixel launcher when I first got the phone and switched to Nova launcher because I hated the Google now icon on the main screen. So far it honestly seems identical to Pixel launcher, except I have the Google now button in my taskbar instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno I think I got pretty close (got an icon pack from the play store to make it look a lot better imo)

The biggest exception obviously is no google now screen to the left, which I use regularly on my Pixel and miss dearly. That widget at the top is only on the home screen, if I add more screens it's not present.

Just do what I did, expand the dock to 6 icons and add Google now to it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Could probably set up some Tasker redirect scripts to change the sound, but that's likely more trouble than it's worth.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

It might be somewhere I'm missing, but the default one on my phone (Messages+) doesn't let you change your notification sound. It's the default one.

Thus the question about an app to do it.

Swap to Textra, customize as much as you want.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Can you use Google Keyboard and use it's emoji pack?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pocket Casts has been the best podcast app I've had. Though I no longer sync across devices so I don't know how well that works, I just use my Pixel for everything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I *think* it still works if you have a Google Voice number, it just can't be used for a standard carrier SMS number.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And definitely watch out for Snapespeed which is an app that extensively tracks how fast Alan Rickman walks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm trying to win concert tickets from a radio station and while it's not THAT big a pain in the rear end to dial, hang up, dial again, I was wondering if there were any apps that are designed for that very purpose. Searching the Play store I see a few that are out there, but with it needing phone/contact permissions I wanted to see if anyone had any recommended ones.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waze has speed built in too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Only problem with textra is that (at least on Pixel) it constantly loses "draw over other apps" permission which requires a reboot to add MMS and attachments. Supposedly has to deal with something in Daydream from what I've read.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uncle Lizard posted:

I haven't had that problem on my Pixel XL. Are you running on beta?

Nope, 7.1.2. I talked to a Textra rep and they said they're trying to do something but it's supposedly fairly common.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it doesn't work in Google now on my Pixel. Stupid, when I make a mistake I have to manually correct it like some sort of Neanderthal

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ape Agitator posted:

very in accurate

Checks out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I like Pushbullet better than Join, but if you expect to use it a lot Pushbullet does have a limit to the number of SMS to can send it a month.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any recommended apps to batch uninstall? Through automatic restores of my last 3 phones I've built up quite a bunch of apps I don't use anymore, and I quickly lose interest in cleaning them up uninstalling one at a time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hooah posted:

I'm trying to set up a Tasker profile to turn my phone to vibrate while it's connected to my work's wifi. I created the profile for "state" and chose "wifi" connected" and chose the SSID. I then attached a task to set vibrate mode to vibrate, and added an exit task to turn vibrate mode off. If I run the tasks manually, they do what I expect, but the profile isn't triggering. It's been a long time since I've done much with Tasker; what am I forgetting?

Most phones these days have smart Wi-Fi which disconnects from your Wi-Fi when the phone is inactive for a while,at least from Taskers perspective. I had the same profile and ended up changing it to a location trigger.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hooah posted:

I've recently decided to use my Google Voice number for my work phone, but I'm having trouble either getting the GV app to ring on its own or getting the regular dialer app to play the ring tone I've set for my GV number (assuming that when someone calls the GV number it then calls my personal number from the GV number). What am I doing wrong here? I've so far been able to get the regular dialer to ring silently or to ring with my normal ringtone by playing around with various settings in Voice.

Are you using Sprint? Mine stopped working the same way last year and I can't figure it out. It was suggested to disable WiFi calling but that didn't help.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tasker is my old standby, it's not exactly user friendly but I specifically use it to set phone to sound only when I'm at home, vibrate everywhere else.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LastInLine posted:

There's speculation this kind of thing will be rolled into Android itself but barring waiting for that the article mentions Tasker and two apps I've never heard of, MacroDroid and Automate. Given the direction Google is moving in I feel like all of them probably have a limited shelf life and while Tasker is undoubtedly heavier than what you need, it's probably the one likely to stand the longest.

Yeah back in the early Android days I had a ton of cool things set up with Tasker, but Android added more and more of them to the stock OS, or a custom launcher worked (though a lot of the things I used a launcher for are rolled into stock these days too)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tasker can definitely do that. Though I had a similar setup where it opened Pocket Casts and ended up turning it off because it kept opening it when I was using GPS

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

I want more than just changing backgrounds

Just say you want to draw happy faces on your weiner, dude.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I used to love Textra, but once Messages for web came out and Pushbullet became nearly unusable without a subscription, the benefit of texting from my PC outweighed the cosmetic appeal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I subscribe to Google Play music and the surveys cover about one month out of every three, so not too worried here, my credits get used. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

I've been noticing that several times a day, OneDrive will pop up three notifications that all say "Preparing..." and then will go away after a couple of seconds.

It's vaguely ominous and threatening.

I have the same thing going. Pixel 3.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

so uhh....is this normal for the survey app?

Needs to also have the option "No, I don't have my receipt"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Does anybody know of an app that will tell me how many times I've unlocked my phone and at which times, like a log? Is this a built in feature somewhere in Android?

Or better yet, if any app can use the whateverscope and tell me how many times I even pick up my phone (to look at the aod).

My sleep quality is worsening and I find myself waking up 2 to 3 times every night and checking my phone, but I never remember what times it was and want to find out.

Check out Moment. I used it for a bit and it was depressing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just want to say that I have the exact same issue with PicketCasts. Pixel 3 XL.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Here's an unusual request. I have a bunch of coasters I made when I first moved into the house and I had the wifi password and connection info added to a 3D barcode. I've since switched routers and forgot what the password I used for the guest network was. I scanned the barcode, but it just tried to connect to a non existent network, and I couldn't see what the password was. Are there any barcode apps that could just tell me that info without trying to connect?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any apps that I can set reminders/tasks that will have persistent notifications until I mark them complete? I use Google assistant but tend to clear the notifications absentmindedly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks guys, I'll check these out. My laundry may actually get done on time for once!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Won't Google Keep do this?

I checked it out and it's definitely better than a standard Assistant reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I use Keep pretty much as just a note taking app, replaced Plain.txt for me years ago. I didn't dig into any additional functionality.