Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is there anything wrong with Amazon Underground? I seem to recall keeping some old version of Amazon's video app to do my Instant Video viewing but after a recent reset I've been adding back apps again.

If not, is there an old apk from before Underground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Manky posted:

Podcast Addict is crazy great and it just keeps getting better.

Help me fall in love with it. I'm mostly stuck trying to navigate tiny menus for simple things like going to my downloaded episodes page. Is there a way to streamline the menus or gesture to them directly? At this point in my life I just go between car mode player, playlist, downloaded episodes, and subscribed podcasts.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Manky posted:

I'll try, but the best I can do is try to describe my workflow, I think. I stay on top of ~30 podcast subscriptions over a week, and PA has been the only thing that lets me manage that. To me, that's because I have it set up so I really only have to refer to the playlist and home screen widget.

It does have a lot of menus, but the most important one is the Settings that you access from the main Podcasts page. (Also, you can bring the left navigation drawer up with a left edge swipe in from anywhere, if you didn't know. That main Settings button is available there as well.)

From that Settings I get PA working the way I want: it checks for podcasts once a day; downloads the latest episodes, and automatically adds them to the playlist. Automatic cleanup is on so that when I finish an episode, it is removed from the playlist and goes in the trash for a day before being deleted.

After that, there are a couple of shows I have individual custom override settings for, like telling Science Friday to download the 3 most recent episodes instead of 1 so that it picks up both one hour shows every week and so forth. That's it, basically, as a consumption system it fits me like a glove. I check my playlist in the morning to see what's new and shuffle things around as the day goes.

e: I'll also just mention that the original thing that got me using Podcast Addict was buying archives of Hardcore History; the link for old episodes wouldn't work in BeyondPod or PocketCasts, only iTunes or Podcast Addict would handle it correctly. That really forced me to start using PA and a great love was born. That was in April, I don't know if the competition has fixed that issue yet, but I do know that PA has gotten regular development with new useful features over that time.

That's fantastic. It gave me a couple of ideas that I can try, especially if it's got a delay before deleting option. I stopped using automatic deletion because I would fall asleep or forget something was playing and then get frustrated having to redownload it later but that would be a great way to get back into automated stuff.

Thanks!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jmcrofts posted:

Wanted to pop in to recommend MX Player. I was using VLC to watch video files, but the android app is really annoying sometimes (If you switch tasks for too long, it loses your place and restarts the video. It also pauses and forces you to hit play when you drag down the notifications, which is a pain in the rear end.)

MX player works well and fixes those 2 issues so I'm getting good use out of it.

I've been quite a fan of MX Player and it works with nearly everything I throw at it. My complaints about it are minor and shared with every other player including VLC and owes to them being mobile apps and inherently limited.

I really should pop for the pro version. It's been earned.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

myron cope posted:

I've been using Podcast Addict since it came up in the thread whenever that was. I like it ok, but I have a question if anyone would be able to answer:
There's a "playlist" type thing if I swipe from left to right while listening to a show, but I can't figure out how to actually get episodes on there--some seem to show up, others don't show up and I don't know why.

I was getting advice in using it and I decided to do this for my usage and it's been nice.

When you're at the top level go three dots-> settings-> playlist
Check "enable playlist", "automatic dequeue", and select "automatic playlist-> downloaded only".

With those options the only management I needed to do was choosing what episodes I wanted to listen to. Downloading them puts them on the playlist and listening to them removed them. It really made it hands off to use it do must of the time I just use their widget and go to the playlist to hop around my downloaded episodes.

They also have a menu of downloaded episodes as well.

I also set up automatic cleanup by deleting episodes after listening and then set it to an arbitrary three days later to confirm the deletion in case I wanted to relisten. I also used some gestures via Nova Launcher and PA kind of hit every note I needed in a player.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
So I guess it's hard to natively have a Calendar widget show up on the lockscreen with the Lollipop. And it seems the workaround is to use some app to embed information in the notification, which can show up on the lockscreen. What's the best approach for this?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Hoping to confirm I'm not crazy. I switched to Gboard from Swype because it had somehow become frustrating to use. Gboard has been okay except for this:

When I use Google's search app, the correction stripe above Gboard doesn't appear at all. There even appears to be space for it.

The correction stripe appears everywhere else, including right now typing into Awful.

Can anyone try Gboard in the Google search app to verify? Up to date Gboard and Google via Play Store on ATT Galaxy S7 edge Android 6.0.1

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Well I guess it's understandable. I mean, expecting something to work within their own closed ecosystem is a pipe dream.

Thanks for verifying.

Any keyboard suggestions that have solid swipe and ideally a good correction/suggestion bars? Is Swiftkey worth reinstalling?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
drat, I was fleeing Swype because it was becoming very in accurate/unforgiving where it wasn't before. I had tried Swift but it's swipe at the time was not great enough to use for any extended period of time.

I guess I'll try the Samsung keyboard which I've never really given the benefit of the doubt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mogomra posted:

What do people use Tasker for these days? The last thing I was using it for was to open Play Music when my phone connected to my car's Bluetooth receiver, but Android Auto takes care of that now.

There used to be a thread, but it's archived now isn't it?

I use it to turn off WiFi when I'm away from my home video tower because I hate AT&T auto connection to terrible McDs and Starbucks WiFi.

I also turn up brightness for video apps in the daytime, prevent a Prius I sometimes ride in from auto playing audio, and raise or lower audio for any app that's just not behaving.

Basically, if there's a repetitive issue and I can't fix it with options, I try Tasker.

Sigh, back to Swype. It seems to be the only one that forgives fatfingering the letter of a word. All the rest really locked into do that first letter. I will miss gboards space bar cursor control though. That's really nice. Plus I think it used grammar to help figure out following words.