Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I have a family member with brain damage that has made reading intermittently impossible for them. Are there any android apps that do something like inject a TTS option into the context menu, or otherwise let you read specific text on screen? Most of what I've been able to dig up seems to be aimed at reading everything for blind people, which isn't really useful when you just need something to read a single phrase you don't understand in a text or article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Those options are nice, but like I said seem more targeted at blind people. It's kinda becoming a moot point because unfortunately this person seems to be deteriorating so rapidly that today's solution isn't necessarily adequate for tomorrow. I really appreciate the feedback anyway.

SayIt is more like what I was looking for, but literally overnight they are experiencing increasing difficulty with visual association, which makes me really hesitant to try to introduce a frustrating new concept that might be useless in a week anyway. Kinda wishing I had thought ahead to training wheel them on this stuff when their mind was still clear so they could be better prepared for this point. Lesson for the future, I guess - accessibility options for people with mental deterioration are a lot more useful if the user is given the opportunity and is willing to build experience before they really need the tool.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 12, 2018

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Is anyone aware of good solution for locking ring volume? It's kinda crazy to me that somehow there appears to be no good solution for idiots who can't avoid pressing the volume buttons on their phone.

Uthor posted:

Is there an app that let's me set multiple timers with labels?

Specifically, going to be cooking a lot of food and will be setting timers for when to do things and last time I did this, I'd forget which timer was for what.

The default android clock does this. The label shows up inside the top of the circle after you create a timer.