Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does anyone have a working link for a download to all the webOS notification sounds? I used to be able to just Google and download one but looks like they all disappeared.

Oh man, I would love these too. It's been years since I've used Zedge, were they on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Is that sloth... dabbing?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I've got the beta app and I'm actually surprised this never popped up, either way that's a slick feature.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

codo27 posted:

Is Facebook Messenger still a massive battery drain if you let it take over SMS? 7 years of smartphones now I never paid for an app, not about to pay Textra to remove ads.

Why not exactly? Have something against giving devs of good apps a couple bucks for using them over the years? Heck, you should be doing Google Survey Rewards if you already aren't.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Nova Launcher pro is a dollar. I didn't know launchers were still so popular but the Reddit thread regarding it is pretty hilarious with people saying how good it is and others asking what it is.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't know, the days for janitoring just about anything on my Android phones are long gone. The stock Google/Moto launcher works great and I haven't seen the need for a different launcher for years.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

clamiam45 posted:

Is this some sort of Bizarro App? A Pokemon App that can only say its own name?

That whole quote reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShUeudtaFg

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Not that I go around wanting to take portraits, it's just neat how well it works.

More people should rather than taking selfies. It's pretty neat we have a handheld device that is able to create some great looking portraits on the fly rather than having to take the picture and then spend some time editing it. A lot more interesting of shots too than just seeing the same pictures of people just with different clothes on each weekend lol

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Revsoft.Wabbitemu

Wabbitemu straight up emulates TI graphing calculators and puts a copy of their keyboards right onscreen. You need to have the ROM for each calc of course but that's easy to get. Does the 82/83/84 range, and also the 85/86 range that was more like the 89 (there's a different project app called Graph 89 that'll handle those, but it costs money)

The important question is; can I play drug wars on it?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've enjoyed using Waze for over 3 years now. Maps works fine too but Waze adds a neat social element to it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If anyone is looking for a non-rooted adblock method I just stumbled upon Blokada, a 3rd party, open source adblocker that uses the VPN service on your phone to block any requests to sites defined in the blacklists. It also can route you through many different public DNS servers if you think your ISP sniffs your traffic.

I'm using a Xiaomi phone which unsurprisingly is calling a lot of requests back to its base even when I open things like the Settings app. Obviously I can whitelist anything that gets borked.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

How does this differ from DNS66 and NetGuard?

Not sure, never used them but the couple threads I saw on Reddit favored it a little more than those.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I walked 2 miles while I was jerking off this morning according to Fit with my Pebble. Hit my heart points at like 2am.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've really liked Podkicker. Super simple to use.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm confused by it because I'm pretty sure my old pictures I uploaded to Drive years ago got put into Photos and I'm too afraid to try to figure it out by deleting or moving poo poo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

If you're confident in what you're doing you can order the parts and install it yourself (the only part consists of a higher power USB block) or if you're on an older firmware you can just install the AIO community-sourced firmware that is a bit better than Mazda's implementation. I only mention that because the dealer cost for the official upgrade is a bit on the crazy side.

Aren't head units with Android Auto like $400+ anyways? Getting that plus a the manufacturer installing it is a pretty good price imo

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Sort of related but every time I see an "influencer" on Snapchat using their phone I report them. Pisses me off.

Just make phones the key to use your vehicle and insert it into a slot to make car go.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Been using Blokada for almost a year now. Other than the UI being kind of a pain it's a great app. Just turn it on and goodbye ads.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

devilwu posted:

Can't you send it to your PayPal account?

Only on the iPhone version of Rewards

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

2019 App Of The Year.

How did goons not think to make this app?

Wasn't the idea of this already done in Letterkenny season 1? The fartbook episode?

To be fairrrrr, they didn't make it an actual app.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So my Google Rewards surveys have been coming in pretty steadily lately and just now it asked if I ever watch Youtube. Having been watching Youtube all day and I accidentally pressed No and now I am afraid I blackballed myself from surveys...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I know I'll be writing up a comparison if my friend still hasn't committed to one anyway so I'll go ahead and do so for you too. He's got needs like having to get some older folks using it so he's sensitive to bad UI.

Here's the example that got me to just give up on Bitwarden:

I did manage to get Bitwarden to kinda work for bank details. I have a terrible banking site I have to use for my car payment that will not remember external bank details for payments, i.e. every time you have to reenter the routing and account numbers. I figured out you can make Bitwarden fill in any form with arbitrary data by inspecting the element and using the ID for that particular field. Okay, that's great but you still have to tuck the data under some entry and the account I'm drawing from doesn't have a debit card associated with it so Bitwarden didn't have a category for it so I'd have to search for it using the extension every time.

Here's the thing, if the payment data is on the main page of the extension you can click to auto fill and it works as expected. If you *search* for an item, autofill is listed but doesn't work. You have to manually copy and paste each item, searching for the item both times as it doesn't remember you just used it. According to Github that bug is nine months old.

In LastPass if you right click on a page, there's always a selection for other which leads to all your identities, bank details, and cards, and you can copypaste or try to autofill any of them at any time. Realizing that I was going to be doing this every month for years was what made me throw in the towel.

In terms of credential change detection and credential fills, Bitwarden was great. It was just a buildup of workarounds that started to irk me.

Outside of bank details would you still recommend Bitwarden? I've been on LastPass for like 5 years and have been curious about alternatives. I only need password management, I don't need banking details or CC entries.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone know of a fix for this or if there's a bug report somewhere?

I have tried to google this endlessly, but it's not an easily search-able problem.

This exact issue is happening to me. Not sure if there's a fix.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hooah posted:

I've tried Spotify some, but the system inability to shuffle all of an artists' songs is just baffling.

Literally the first interactive option in an artist's page is to Shuffle Play. Is that not the same thing?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, gently caress Blokada. Yeah, no thanks, I am not going to route all my traffic through some random app's personal VPN just to get rid of ads.

Their new VPN thing is completely optional. The regular app functionality just creates an internal VPN on your phone that simply blocks access to whatever your blocklist is configured for. You can also choose one of many popular DNS servers to route through if you don't want to do it network-wide.

I like it because it's pretty seamless hopping from wifi to mobile data. Sometimes it needs manual action but eh, it's free so

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Uthor posted:

I'm getting vibes of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Not from anyone here, just the potential of the conversation.

Never would have guessed that there'd ever be a Jon Bois video in an Android thread lol

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I wish there were some alternatives to GVoice. I've been using it for almost a decade but now that I'm slowly de-googling I have to consider just porting my number back to a carrier.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Aegis and AndOTP are great open sourced choices.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Honestly I'd just throw money at a new phone, even if it's a generation or two old. 5 years is well past the point that even new is outdone by midrangers of today.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So in the wake of WhatsApp's new privacy policy and them opening up about sharing info with Facebook, then backtracking to say they've actually been doing it all along, Elon Musk posted this:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1347165127036977153

Since then Signal has added over 40 million new users. Insane.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So GVoice said it was disabling text forwarding but it still works. Typical Google lol

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

zzMisc posted:

AFAIK there is no setting in Syncthing like that. If you haven't already you might want to verify this by deleting a file from your phone and seeing if it disappears from the server.

Edit: I'm wrong, there is an ignoreDelete advanced option. I'd still advise avoiding relying on Syncthing that way, and have some other backup in place.

Could you do something like send only or receive only? Does that prevent deletion from duplicating the other end?

I like Syncthing but I still get confused with trying to manage several devices at once.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Aegis works great and has backup capability.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

People leave their Venmo transactions public will never not be funny

That's like the entire point of it isn't it? But i don't get the need to tack on a social aspect to people I pay for picking up a tab somewhere. It's a weird concept.

Reply All did a fascinating episode about it a few years back that pulled at the heart strings a bit.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Poweramp is a popular one. Metro is also good if you prefer open source. May have to get that through FDroid though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Fdroid is arguably much safer than most apps people put on their phones. I believe they also review many apps for malicious code but can't remember details.

I've been using almost all Fdroid apps rather than Playstore ones. I can't recommended it enough.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

lethial posted:

Thank you all!! TBH, I wasn't even that much against ads, I mean they help to pay the bills for content creators, but the ads that "algorithm" like to feed to me seem to be from whoever that has the most money to spend and most to gain (as opposed to say things that benefit smaller businesses or organizations that are promoting common good); and given all that has gone on in the past couple of years, I am ashamed to say that some of them actively causes me to become anxious with feeling of despair :ohdear:. So now ad blocking is a bigger deal for me... (Or maybe I should just train myself by accepting all ads so that I am desensitized to them?...)

Thanks so much again to everyone! I have lots of great options to try!

I feel you, this last year has been a major adventure for me to try to find alternatives to big apps and companies and keep control of my privacy in better ways. There is a thread in IYG that is a good place to learn or post about if that's your jam.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Blokada is a super easy solution too. Piholes are awesome but one of those things that you gotta tweak a bit over time to get right. And if you mess up it will probably mess up everyone else on the network.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Bromite is good if you want a Chromium browser, Mull, Fennec, or FF Focus are good for Firefox ones. I believe FF ones let you add extensions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you're looking for a replacement for Vanced, Newpipe works great. Not sure if it has all the same killer features as Vanced does but I've been happy with it for a few years.