Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
IFTTT has a promotion with the New York Times, running through November, where if you activate a Recipe using the New York Times channel, you get a free 8-week digital subscription to the newspaper.No payment information required.

The New York Times has a promotion with Knox Labs where its "most loyal digital subscribers" receive a promotional code through email for a free Google Cardboard Headset. No payment is required for shipment in the US.

Criteria that apparently qualified me as a "most loyal digital subscriber:"

1. Signed up for the IFTTT promotion two weeks ago.
2. Never logged in to the NYT website during those two weeks.
3. Had valid email address where they sent the promotional email.

I got the Knox Labs Order confirmation yesterday. Guess I'll see if it will actually ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I honestly don't know. I wasn't expecting the offer, so it surprised me when it arrived two weeks later. The only official mention I've been able to find is this from the New York Times VR FAQ: http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2015/vrfaq/

quote:

How can I get a Cardboard?

If you are a United States home delivery subscriber who receives the Sunday edition, we will send you a free Cardboard viewer with your Sunday newspaper by November 8, 2015. Our Times Insider subscribers who have chosen to receive marketing emails will also receive promotional codes via email that can be redeemed for free Cardboard viewers.

You can also buy a Cardboard viewer from Google.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Reggie Died posted:

Unfortunately, that seems to be the only meaningful NFC tag task/trigger I can come up with. Does anyone else use them?

My most used NFC tag:

Disconnect [List of Bluetooth Devices.]

Disconnects my phone from any bluetooth speaker or headset that it might currently be connected to, without turning off bluetooth entirely, so my Moto 360 still operates. Phone can then easily be connected to the next Bluetooth device I activate without having to put my glasses back on and look through the list in the notification shade. One tag by bedside. One tag in bathroom.

Since the app I use (Trigger) stores what gets activated in its record for the tag, I don't have to rewrite the tags when I get a new device, just edit the task that's triggered.

Though lately, I find myself using its Widget to trigger the bluetooth disconnec action more and more often.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Super Dude posted:

So there's nothing I can do to trigger the email the Knox promotion?

Looks like the promotion ends on December 15. Did you ever get an "Because You're a Valued Subscriber, You Get a Free Google Cardboard Virtual Reality Viewer" email from the Times?

My IFTTT/New York Times/Knox Labs promotional Cardboard arrived today. It's large enough to easily accommodate my Nexus 6P, and fit over my glasses.

The New York Times is also offering me two complimentary 12-week gift digital subscriptions for signing up for the aforementioned promotion and giving them no money. Given that the Free Cardboard Viewer offer ends in four days, I expect they probably won't qualify for that. Anybody want them?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Was looking at the Google News & Weather app on my 6P and noticed it hadn't updated in the last few days. Uninstalled and reinstalled it, and it hasn't been able to pull down the initial sync.

Is this a common problem, or have I screwed things up on my end somehow?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Finally something to spend my survey bucks on

Speaking of Google Opinion Rewards, Here's what the results look like from the survey-creator side.

https://www.google.com/insights/consumersurveys/view?survey=kepno6sddsr7c&question=1&filter=&rw=1

For a single-question quiz, with no screening questions, pricing's as low as $0.10 per completed response purchased. I doubt that the survey-completer gets any Google Play credit at that level, though.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't fill out the surveys; I'm certainly not going to stop doing them. I don't think you can spend survey credit on buying surveys, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

fluppet posted:

No idea about apps bit https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/ used to allow you to generate a calendar feed for shows

Personally, I use tvmaze.com, and subscribe to the iCal feed it generates on the profile page with Google Calendar.

I miss Google Now being able to do that, but Google Now hasn't done anything with TV for awhile now. I can't even get the "Listen to TV" command to work any more.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Luchadork posted:

I've got the new app and still no podcasts. Flip the fuckin' switch, Google.

They already have...

Hamburger menu. Settings. Tap "Refresh."

The charitable interpretation is that they plan to automatically switch it on for everyone when they're ready, but wanted an opt-in for people who might want to try it earlier.

I have no evidence to support this interpretation.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Can I copy poo poo from my PC

Yes you can, as long as it's less than 100MB.

https://play.google.com/books/uploads

That said, I tend to use Moon+ Reader, even with its slightly confusing layout, because it can use Google Text-to-Speech to read out ebooks from the background, whereas Google Play Books needs to be the current open app to do the same. But that's an odd niche case.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I recently got sent another promotional credit for $500 worth of survey answers.

I guess there's something going on that they think people might be interested in buying surveys for?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Both my wife and I tried Inbox for about a week. Neither of us thought it was worth sticking with, with the way we manage our messages. But if it works for you, then use it.

I spent the better part of a decade working out how to wrangle my GMail into the way I like it.

Overall, I would probably say that Inbox is a better /mobile/ experience than I get with standad GMail, but it has a lot fewer features on the desktop side. I generally have to make a new filter every time one of the people who think they own my GMail address signs up for a new service, or gets someone new sending them contracts or resumes or bank statements, and Inbox doesn't cut the mustard for that.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Aye, when I frequented the Gmail help forums, it was the cause of one the most common questions there, though typically phrased in the form of "Why did Google give my address to another person?"

Most free services will demand that the user confirms that he owns the email address on the account. Most services the user pays for will assume that any address he gives them is one he owns, unless legally required.

The most misdirected email I got: About two years ago, I wound up with an email from some major Hong Kong restaurant that was having a two-night-only visit from a world-famous French chef, and required a phone call to confirm the dining reservation that had been made. I didn't keep the email, but If I recall correctly, the pricing was near $1000 per seat.

The restaurant sent an email cancelling the reservation about a week later.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

tvgm2 posted:

I tried using [Google Play Music Podcasts] instead of Pocketcasts for months. I missed skipping ahead 30 seconds with my car's Next button (Google Play skips to the next episode of the podcast, which is the stupidest design), playback speed, programmable up next playlist, etc.. They're also missing a ton of podcasts.

Yeah, podcasts have to be officially submitted and approved for Google Play Podcasts, and without any sort of user rating or review process, most podcasters don't seem to promote it. Is the only thing Podcasters are getting out of it increased visibility, because they show up in GPM searches?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mogomra posted:

What do people use Tasker for these days? The last thing I was using it for was to open Play Music when my phone connected to my car's Bluetooth receiver, but Android Auto takes care of that now.

There used to be a thread, but it's archived now isn't it?

I now use Macrodroid rather than Tasker, but this is what I use it for:

Set my phone on vibrate within range of my work Wi-Fi, and turn the volume back to normal when I get home.

If my phone charge has fallen below 75%, give me a notification when it charges up to %100, and erase that notification when the power is unplugged, or if the notification has been up for more than ten minutes.

I also have a routine to pop up a screen notification when I unplug my phone from a line in cable if my bluetooth headset is not connected, but it's so unobtrusive that I forgot I still had it enabled.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Google Drive definitely has some pretty robust scripting tools you can use to interact with the Calendar API. I'm phoneposting so I can't necessarily look it up right now, but with a little bit of googling I was recently able to create a Sheets spreadsheet of a workout schedule, autofill a date range, and generate a calendar. (It involves adding a custom menu & button to the spreadsheet to contain the script, but it's surprisingly easy to do.)

Seconded. If you're fairly decent with Javascript, it would probably be /fairly/ straightforward scan the events from one calendar, parse a time and date from the title, and post them to another calendar using the Google Apps Scripting, (which despite the name, works on any Google Account) I've been using the scripting to do calendar (and other) things for years.

Dealing with updates to calendar events on the source calendar will probably be a pain, though.

I've currently rigged up scripts that put descriptions and durations of current Severe Weather warnings to one of my calendars (somewhat useful, runs every 15 minutes),and Descriptions, release dates, and durations of several podcasts I listen to to a separate calendar.(more for fun, runs every hour)

I initially started having a script that would scrape Heavens Above once a day for International Space Station passes visible from my house and post them on a third calendar, but the IDE for Google Apps Scripts is not the best, and I wound up switching that over to another programming language three or four years ago.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

eSporks posted:

I'm not at all, I kinda know enough to be able to modify an existing script. I'd be willing to paypal someone a couple bucks if they helped me out. As far as catching updates, the schedule gets posted once a month and changes are rare. If they do change it goes out in an email. So if I just had a script I could run once a month to move everything that would be sweet.

All right, here you go. This half-assed kludgy Google Script will /probably/ do the following:

Searching between the first day of last month and the last day of next month, it should:
* Optionally (If CLEAR_CALENDAR_IN_RANGE = true) delete all events on the calendar TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME in the range
* Find all calendar events in the owned/subscribed calendar named by SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME that have the string denoted by SEARCH_STRING in the title,
* Create an event on the owned calendar named by TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME on the same day using the QuickAdd syntax to input time information.

It is based on the assumption that the last thing in the title of each event will always be the time range, and there will be no spaces in the time range (e.g, it will always be something like "10-6")

There are likely quite a few ways it can fail, I would not recommend pointing the TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME variable at any Google Calendar on your account that you care about personally.

https://pastebin.com/shxTGi74

Edit: documentation on using Google Scripts can be found here: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/overview
and the specifics of the basic CalendarApp class here

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 12, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

eSporks posted:

Awesome thanks, I will give this a shot later when I haven't been drinking, but I think it might have problem.

TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME and SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME refer to 2 different calendars on the same google account, correct? Ideally I'd like to import things to a separate account, but if that is a limitation, that is fine.
I think the bigger issue is that you underestimated how lovely this calendar is set up. In the screen shot, each color code is a separate calendar. Sales location 1, service location 1, sales location 2, service location 2 etc. It's entirely possible my name could be on 1 of 4 calendars for this google account on any given day.

It can be run on a separate account, but that account must have some access to the calendars the script uses.

The user must own the calendar named TARGET_CALENDAR_NAME, as the script needs to be able to add/delete events on that calendar. Again, be careful where you point that one; it can delete/lots/ of events on the target calendar.

The user does not have to own the calendar named SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME; they can subscribe to the calendar and have that calendar in the "Other Calendars" section of the account the script is being run on. You can hide them from viewing on the calendar, if you so desire.

For proper operation, each calendar must be the only one with that name on the account.

But you need to have it use up to four calendars. Okay, then... Hopefully this works; not robustly tested, will probably break if event title format deviates significantly.

https://pastebin.com/5KbV5WwN

SOURCE_CALENDAR_LIST is now an array of unique-on-the-account Calendar names, each subject to the same limitations SOURCE_CALENDAR_NAME had in the original.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

No worries; after 13 years, I've pretty much picked up every forums uprade I wanted at this point.

Okay. Getting the name of the calendar it came from is pretty much straightforward. as we have that in the original array.

The events still being /all-day/ events is baffling. I /suspect/ that the actual titles of the events actually have a bunch of spaces at the end, so the script isn't pulling the correct piece of split string and the event is created initially without specifying a time string. I can think of a few ways around that, if that turns out to be the case.

Question: what does it look like when a schedule doesn't start or end on the hour, e.g. someone has to work from 8:30 AM to 1:15 PM, or thereabouts?

Only grabbing every other day is even more baffling. Possibly API limits on the number of create event in a short period of time? That can also be worked around ,but it'll probably take me a little while to put something together.

If that doesn't ultimately fix it, though, I'll probably have to throw in the towel.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

All right, third and final try. That's about all I can think of to do without having the calendar on hand to experiment on.

Title of events is now just SEARCH_STRING concatenated with name of the source calendar, but the source calendar, title of the original event, and the Quickadd syntax used to create the event now appear in the event description.

https://pastebin.com/k9iwh1uP

maltesh
May 20, 2004

eSporks posted:

The whole time that I have been there, everyone has started on the hour.

This new one more or less works. A couple days have double entries, but thats about it. I can deal with that.

Looks like I set "CLEAR_CALANDAR_IN_RANGE = false" on line 18 in the version I linked, which prevents the script from clearing the Target Calendar's events in the range, so the duplicate events were possibly leftovers from a previous run? using "true" instead /should/ prevent that.

Welp, glad it mostly works. Guess it was not as "Fairly straightforward" as I'd assumed, after all.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

And pretty much anyone can buy them. Back in Feb 2016, I spent $20 on two 100- response 1-question surveys on a whim, both of which were completed in about six hours.

Also, because of the weird way I wind up consuming media, the first and only video ad for the Trump campaign I would up watching came through a Google Opinion Rewards survey, asking me about whether the ad changed how I viewed him as a candidate.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Has anyone noticed anything weird with Assistant subscriptions lately? I've generally had a subscription in Google Assistant to tell me the Weather in the morning, and to show me the forecast in the evening, but attempts to create a subscription seem to fail, now.

FOr instance, if I ask:
"What's the Weather"
It shows me the weather, and gives an option to "Send Daily"
If I tap "Send Daily"
It asks "What time should I send it each day?"
If I respond with any time value, through speech or tapping a suggestion
It does a search on the time I specified, rather than setting the subscription.

Similarly, if I try to delete or alter an existing Assistant Subscription, it treats any response I give to "How would you like to change the subscription?" as an independent search, so I can't change the time or cancel the subscription.

Device is a Pixel 3XL on Pie.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

butt dickus posted:

It's google voice through hangouts if you live in the correct country. Since it's convenient and works properly I'm guessing google plans to eol it. All these updates to the voice app have me worried.

One of the reasons I went over to Google Fi from the T-Mobile $30 plan with Google Voice was because most of the apps on the phone , including the then-named Google Now required me to jump through hoops to get them to use the Voice number instead of the Phone's T-Mobile number, if they could be forced to do so at all.

I went over fully to Messages back in July, partially because of the webapp, partially because I'd intermittently find that the phone had switched over to Messages somehow, and partially from discovering that Hangouts on Fi wasn't storing the messages in a way that SMS Backup+ could actually back them up.

If Hangouts could wither on the vine, I'd prefer to have a quick harvest option.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't know if I should post it here or not, but since it's kinda an app request: is there any app that lets me take small video screenshots (or at least just a bunch of screenshots at once) of my screen? There's a game I like the graphics of, and wouldn't mind blatantly stealing nabbing some of the animated sprites for... well, gently caress if I know, but something.

Google Play Games supports screen recording

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I think that's out of date (or at least unclear / lacking specificity), because I don't know what the 'game details page' is and thus can't find any record button. Tried googling some visual aids, but almost every result is from 2015 and is not using a version of the Play Games app I've got.

Thanks for trying though :(.

Odd. I actually tried it out in 2048 shortly before posting. My version of Google Play Games is from the US Play Store, version 2019.05.10327, and I'm running it on a Pixel 3XL.

That said, I looked at the Google Play Games listing in the Play store and wonder if the "* Only available in certain countries" footnote might be the issue. At launch, looks like it was announced to work in the US and the UK, can't seem to find if any other countries were ever added.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 23, 2019

maltesh
May 20, 2004

LastInLine posted:

In theory anyone who pays for it can use the survey app to publish surveys. In practice it's usually Google's. You got one of the actual paying customers' surveys.

Yeah, back in '16 on a lark I spent $10 on a 100-response surveys "Rate your agreement on the statement 'The U.S. Government spends too much money on the Autobots waging their battles to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons'"

Also did a "Did you know that pretty much anyone can buy one of these surveys?" survey with the free survey credits I got for buying the first one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Got an email that Pepperplate, my recipe app of choice, is going subscription.

What's a good free or single-purchase multi-platform recipe app? I only have about thirty recipes to move over, so automatic Pepperplate importing would be nice, but not essential.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'm grandfathered in to the original Google Play Music price; I guess I do need to ultimately switch over to YouTube music. Has anyone wo has those old grandfathered benefits done so, and did those benefits stay?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

A couple years ago I would routinely get notifications that the person or persons on the other side of the world who think they own my Gmail account was trying to reset the password, and asking me to approve the reset.

I never did, but if that notification had come in at an inconvenient time, such as when I was using the login on an untrusted computer and expecting the almost identical looking notification for that, or if I had manhandled my phone with my glasses off in the middle of the night, I might have wound up accidentally approving it.

Unsure what would have happened then, but I imagine it would have been extremely inconvenient at the very least.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Macrodroid's been the solution I've been using for all sorts of weird things for several years now.

That said, I could have sworn Android remembers the volume level for each Bluetooth connection? Or is that just a Stock Android/Pixel/Particular Version thing?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Medullah posted:

I have a long audiobook that is unfortunately just one audio file. What app do you guys use that can track progress on books?

Currently using Listen Audiobook Player, and have for the better part of a decade.

My biggest annoyance with it is a new one; It doesn't seem to have the Assistant hooks that almost everything else I listen to on my phone does, so I can't just tap my pixel buds and say "Go back five minutes," to jump back without pulling out the phone.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I've got .epubs I like to read.

I drive sometimes.

These goals are generally incompatible.

Is there a good app that does a decent job of reading epubs out? I've tried Moon+ Reader for it, and while the audio's pretty good, it's often a bit of a hassle to control its playback.

Barring that, is there a decent online service or windows software for converting an Epub to an MP3 or other audio file to throw to an Audiobook player?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

This video describes how you can use amazon polly to turn an epub into a audio book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNPaK_E2nQc

I've listened to a bunch of audiobooks this guy has made and it's a pretty good and natural sounding experience.

I'll have to give that a shot, thanks. Turns out I've listened to a few audibooks converted by that method before, and I've enjoyed the experience.

Edit: Yes, this worked fantastically..

Edit ^2: Probably a bit more expensive than I was expecting, though. It looks like the default settings for the script are using the Neural voice, and at 1 million characters free, $16 per million afterwards, each month. Got a little enthusiastic, and refined the script a bit, and ran about about a dozen epubs through; suspect I'm looking at about a $50 charge for it at the end of this month.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 27, 2022

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Is there an android audiobook player that plays mp3 audiobooks and accepts Assistant commands?

I've been listening to YouTube audiobooks and the ability to use "Hey Google, go back 15 minutes" has been really nice when listening to audiobooks at work or in the car, and my go-to, Listen Audiobook Player, doesn't have that capability.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I've got Smart Audiobook Player, alas, it doesn't seem to work with Assistant's.voice commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I honestly got so annoyed with Solid Explorer killing itself when I was trying to download and backup all my homemade audiobooks through FTP so I could reorganize the files and put them back on my phone, that I wound up going with SyncThing instead.